• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Topic: DEVIL'S SEA - Choir & Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Arrow DEVIL'S SEA - Choir & Orchestra (Sosnowski)

    Devil's Sea
    Choir and Orchestra
    David Sosnowski


    To Listen:
    www.DavidSosnowski.com


    Best,



    David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

  2. #2

    Re: DEVIL'S SEA - Choir & Orchestra (Sosnowski)

    David,

    This piece really aurally describes the sea. I found myself rapt and staring at the computer screen but seeing nothing, only hearing this devil of a piece. I am, as always, so impressed with your careful choices of voicings and the detail you so seemingly pull from some very small motives.

    This is another wonderful listening piece and I am so glad I awoke this morning to be able to hear "Devil's Sea". Thank you!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

    Rich

  3. #3

    Re: DEVIL'S SEA - Choir & Orchestra (Sosnowski)

    Outstanding, creative work, Mister David. You know that this type of music is usually not my cup of you-know-what, but I really enjoyed listening to your latest effort.

    OMG...you are converting this old duffer to the dark side and it appears that he is going willingly.


    Thanks for sharing it with us.


    My Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  4. #4

    Re: DEVIL'S SEA - Choir & Orchestra (Sosnowski)

    Gorgeous piece, David. Enveloping, in the best sense of the word. That opening with the sensitive piano playing is terrific. I would have liked to hear it in the higher registers more often later in the piece, maybe occasionally with the string entrances.

    I really enjoyed your use of silence. Sometimes I think it is the instrument that is not used enough.

    Best,
    Reegs

  5. #5

    Re: DEVIL'S SEA - Choir & Orchestra (Sosnowski)

    That is perfection right there David. I read the title and the track brought it to life......and then some.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

    http://www.myspace.com/451525581

  6. #6

    Re: DEVIL'S SEA - Choir & Orchestra (Sosnowski)

    The Garritan Halloween Competition Contest has started early this year!

    What a stimulating, thoroughly satisfying piece of work this is, David. Some of the characteristic Sosnowski fits and starts, bursts of suspended phrases, unpredictable textures appearing and weaving around their magic--and all in a unique ominous tapestry unlike anything we've ever heard from you.

    In other words, I loved the journey. I do wish I could have trekked on longer down this darkly lit path!

    AND it would be interesting to know more about your instrumentation - Does this have any of your great SSynth on it?

    A real treat, David - thank you!

    Randy

  7. #7

    Re: DEVIL'S SEA - Choir & Orchestra (Sosnowski)

    David

    This just seems different for you. I can't quite put my finger on why I say that, but I hear a different side to you that I don't remember hearing before.

    The music comes across at first hearing as incidental music, but on further listenings, I think there are deeper depths that are explored than most incidental music pieces try to delve into in.

    A thought provoking piece.

    Nicely done

    Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

    http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

  8. #8

    Re: DEVIL'S SEA - Choir & Orchestra (Sosnowski)

    Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    David,

    This piece really aurally describes the sea. I found myself rapt and staring at the computer screen but seeing nothing, only hearing this devil of a piece. I am, as always, so impressed with your careful choices of voicings and the detail you so seemingly pull from some very small motives.

    This is another wonderful listening piece and I am so glad I awoke this morning to be able to hear "Devil's Sea". Thank you!
    Thanks for listening, my friend, and for the good word.

    To be forthcoming, this is more of a sketch, really, than
    a formal piece. By now, you probably know my ropes,
    Rich... lol -- when I'm fiddling with new ideas, I'll write
    a few shorter pieces like this to get the hang of using
    them.

    In this case, I'm trying to see how well (or poorly) the
    material will make sense, when hung on a very slender
    motivic skeleton.

    Best,



    David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

  9. #9

    Re: DEVIL'S SEA - Choir & Orchestra (Sosnowski)

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post


    Outstanding, creative work, Mister David. You know that this type of music is usually not my cup of you-know-what, but I really enjoyed listening to your latest effort.


    OMG...you are converting this old duffer to the dark side and it appears that he is going willingly.


    Thanks for sharing it with us.

    My heavens, Larry! I am corrupting you... rofl!

    Seriously, Larry, that you, with your very classical grounding,
    enjoy the piece -- that's a special satisfaction for me. It
    tells me that, perhaps, just perhaps, the material is worth-
    while, rather than merely novel.

    Thanks, my friend.

    My best,



    David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

  10. #10

    Re: DEVIL'S SEA - Choir & Orchestra (Sosnowski)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Gorgeous piece, David. Enveloping, in the best sense of the word. That opening with the sensitive piano playing is terrific. I would have liked to hear it in the higher registers more often later in the piece, maybe occasionally with the string entrances.

    I really enjoyed your use of silence. Sometimes I think it is the instrument that is not used enough.

    Best,
    Reegs
    Thanks for listening, Reegs, and for the kind thoughts
    on the piece.

    On the piano comments, I almost agree... lol. Or maybe
    I do agree. I'm not quite sure, Reegs. Pieces like this,
    you have to be very careful about over-crowding the
    musical terrain, or they lose all thier impact.

    For instance, the wind chimes -- I love wind chimes,
    and was sore tempted to scatter them in more... but
    when I tried that, they seemed to lose their luster.
    Same with the piano -- I pulled quite a lot of notes
    from that part in the final edit, because it easily became
    "too much of a good thing".

    On silence, I most wholeheartedly do agree, Reegs.
    The most impactful moments in the whole piece are
    the measures with no notes in them!

    My best,



    David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •