• Register
  • Help
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Topic: Studying four part harmony is a waste of time.

Share/Bookmark

Re: Studying four part harmony is a waste of time.

well i can help you : 1. You need play piano OK
    2 . you need buy a book called in french : TRAITÉ DHARMONIE AU CLAVIER ( JAQUES CHAILLEY )
    3 - All you need to know its there BUT : you need know make lots of exercises with the intervals betwin notes and put them correct way ... twoo notes ( bass and first note of the chor of melody ) numbers
    3 5 6 3 5 6 8 8 (wrong ) 5 5 wrong ok that all or not ... try .... and go on ... its my work all days and i like do it very mutch its like puzzle ...

Its true you need study piano harmony not coral harmony i have lost my time tooo ..

You must begin for two parts of harmony ... ok all for paino ... if you have zamacois book you must reduce all chords for piano and all in C MAJOR TONE OK i am beginig now and i just undestand how its works ... than you need to make resumes all piano pieces ok and see the intevalos between BASS and SOPRANO in stron times 1fist and thisd and respecr some rules : 8 and 5 paralelas no good ,,, if ... direct like 8 thas 5 no good only .... the first mote of 5 moves for next not and soooooooo very few .... and some othes very few observations than YOU CAN DO ALL YOU WANT IF YOU LIKE .... and MAKE THE SAME TE OTHERS MAKE OK .... YOU NEED LEARN WHAT YOU CAN DO AND FEW WAHT YOU CANT DO OK ....
    THREE PARTS PIANO AND SEE ALL INTERVALOS IN SRTONG TIMES .... you need visit my page soo igo to say all waor what i learn for myself and good books : TRAITE DHARMONIE AU CLAVIER _ JAQUES CHAILLEY and FOR ORQUESTRATIN YOU HAVE RIMSKY OK AND STUDY LOTS OF PARTITURES .... se you soon in my page http://www.tvpoejo.com

This is an amazing thread. In Catholic high school, we had to take 4 years of Latin.. The students complained why do we need to learn a 'dead' language.

The nun replied, first of all it was the mother language, other languages were derived from (I still guess the meaning of many words I've never heard, by recalling the years of Latin.

Second, and more important, it teaches us to think. All of life has rules, most of them are invisible to us. Some people are gifted to be able to excel at their creative process, without much formal training. Twice in my life, I met people who could hear anything one time and play it perfectly.

Music was a lot of work for me. I studied with private teachers, but 90% self- taught. But those six years of organ lessons, came in useful for the rest of my life. I also took some Berklee music online courses. Expensive but worth it. I filled in many gaps in my musical knowledge. A lot of the principles, I was already using but didn't know why. This made it clearer and enabled to further my grasp.

I took several courses by Pat Patterson at Berklee, he teaches melody and lyric writing. I was astounded at the perception of this man and his ability to formulate guidelines and explanations about lyric writing. I learned the rhyming schemes, the way to develop a melody, where to put the stress. All this greatly improved my understanding of music. Whether we are aware of it or not, there are structures and principles on which good music is build. Granted thru time, musical tastes will change. And what was once considered good, may fall out of favor..

I was totally amazed at the Beatles ability to write melodies and lyrics, and all self taught. I do believe that Pat Patterson studied their songs and many others and was able to formulate principles.

To this day, I can immediately point out weak spots in songs, where the lyrics and melody are not as effective as they could be.

Yes, it may seem 4 part harmony is a waste of time, but it is a foundation from which other aspects of music are built.

Cameacross this thread again and it still shocks me that not a singleperson who has posted in this thread has understood what I said.

ByFour Part Harmony I do NOT mean Common-Practice Tonality.

Imean purely the TEXTUREof4 voices. Nothing more.

I am NOT questioning the worth of studying common-practice tonality.

Allow me to clarify.

The following is the claim made by the Harmony books:

ALL COMPOSITION IS BASED ON A SKELETON OF 4* VOICES.

THESE VOICES OBEY THE LIMITATIONS OF THE HUMAN VOICE.

often less, rarely more.

THROUGH ANALYSIS WE CAN SEE THIS IS TRUE ONCE THINGS LIKE "OCTAVEEQUIVALENCE" AND "RHYTHMIC ARPEGIATION"(I.E. ALBERTIBASS) ARE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION.

The implication is that just as harmony may arise intuitively or by design, but it is always there, the same is true of the "4 voice skeleton".

THE"4 VOICE SKELETON" MAY ARISE INTUITIVELY OR BY DESIGN. BUT IT IS ALWAYS THERE.

The grand claim can then be summarised thus:

THE"4 VOICE SKELETON" IS AS MUCH A FUNDAMENTAL ASPECT OF MUSICAS TONALITY ITSELF.

Indeed,they are two inseparable aspects of the same thing.

Some of the books even go so far so to show you how to "compose out" from a given "4 voice skeleton". Showing you "This is how composition is done."

Now, I DISAGREE WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE.

Notonly does it NOT WORK froman analytical perspective, it doesn't work from a compositional perspective.

I am NOT debating the worth of learning about, functional harmony, voice-leading, line writing and chord voicing etc. And if 4 part harmony was just a nice simple texture within which to learn something about these, then there is no problem.

BUT ITS CLAIMS ARE MUCH, MUCH GRANDER THAN THIS.

It is these claims that left me frustrated, confused and creatively restrained for years.

I'm sure most of you, if any of you, don't think about harmony in this way. However, this is not what is taught in all the major Harmony texts(Piston, Aldwell,Kosta, etc.).

I hope at least some of you, at least, will now understand my argument.

Go Back to forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567