• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New GOS demo posted

Share/Bookmark

New GOS demo posted

For anyone interested, I posted an orchestral action piece using GOS and Miroslav brass and woodwinds. If you have some time, let me know what you think
    Here\'s the link:
    http://damonbbradley.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/chase.mp3

Damon

Re: New GOS demo posted

Very well written and arranged, smashing dynamics, wonderful!

To be honest the strings did not impress me as much as the percussion did (which library is it ?). The staccato carpet sounds static and lacks authenticity (slight \"scratch\" of bow is missing). The legato parts are not bad, maybe better than other sounds heard so far, but also not as revolutionary as I would have expected from what I´ve read here.

But this should not shadow the outstanding quality of this piece.

Thank you

Horst

Thanks for listening and the kind words Horst. It was my first shot at an orchestral piece. 28 tracks. Biggest mixdown I\'ve done yet. I wish I were classically trained, then maybe I could orchestrate the song even better.
    Simon mentioned to me that he wasn\'t crazy about the staccato violin background rhythm as well, so I will try another short bowing from GOS. I used the violin mf sautille up and down bowings.
    The percussion was Ultimate Percussion.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 11-05-2001).]

very niuce! How do you get those dynamics to come out so well? I can never get mine to come out like that. I love those sudden swells and crescendos. How did you do it ? Maybe you can even post a midi excerpt of the expreesions/fades.

I can never get mine to sound like that. Help me!

Thanks esteven. The swells and crescendos of the strings are just the grand detaches from Gigastrings. They have a natural little swell in their attack. I don\'t think I even used expression control with them-that\'s how good and playable they are! They\'re my favorite patches on GOS.
    As for the woodwinds and brass instruments, I just practice with the expression ribbon controller. I also increase note velocities when a climax is about to hit to make everything slowly sound louder and louder.
    Again, thanks for listening!

Damon I\'m having issues trying to listen to it from te tripod site. On to different computers. Dont know whatsup, butcould you possibly e-mail it to me?

ashif@musicyouneed.com

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

No problem King. I\'ll send it on over.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damon:
    No problem King. I\'ll send it on over.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damon,

Great writing and orchestration.

I have GOS, but haven\'t even begun to get a good handle on them all yet. I\'ve been so busy lately I\'ve had to throw them into action for jobs that have tight deadlines. I think they are the best strings I\'ve dealt with, and I\'ve dealt with them all. You certainly have given them a great showcase here.

The ostinato is a bit rough, but mainly I believe because it sounds quantized. You\'re either a great player or that\'s what I\'m hearing with that.

The mf horns sound very good....I didn\'t like the forte horns, and the woodwinds overall did not sound real at all to me. Nice percussion.

I thought the legato string lines were very good, and the bits with vibrato very convincing.

I am still having problems, even with GOS, getting convincing violin results in high registers. Though the mid and low sections can be completely convincing, the tell-tale giveaway with all libraries so far for me has been when playing a high violin section passage. No matter which library I\'ve used, it is the thing that screams \"FAKE\" to my ears more than anything else. There is a silkyness to the real thing that I can\'t find with samples. I don\'t know whether it is the lack of enough strings sampled, the hall, or what, but it seems that this is the one thing that still eludes me, though I\'m very happy with Maestro\'s legato mode, which helps.

I find myself combining sordino patches underneath to lessen the shrillness...for want of a better term...of high section playing. Not a great solution, but gets me by,

Still, thanks for your fine work up here.

[This message has been edited by tomhartman (edited 11-06-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damon:
    No problem King. I\'ll send it on over.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damon,

Great writing and orchestration.

I have GOS, but haven\'t even begun to get a good handle on them all yet. I\'ve been so busy lately I\'ve had to throw them into action for jobs that have tight deadlines. I think they are the best strings I\'ve dealt with, and I\'ve dealt with them all. You certainly haven\'t given them a great showcase here.

The ostinato is a bit rough, but mainly I believe because it sounds quantized. You\'re either a great player or that\'s what I\'m hearing with that.

The mf horns sound very good....I didn\'t like the forte horns, and the woodwinds overall did not sound real at all to me. Nice percussion.

I thought the legato string lines were very good, and the bits with vibrato very convincing.

I am still having problems, even with GOS, getting convincing violin results in high registers. Though the mid and low sections can be completely convincing, the tell-tale giveaway with all libraries so far for me has been when playing a high violin section passage. No matter which library I\'ve used, it is the thing that screams \"FAKE\" to my ears more than anything else. There is a silkyness to the real thing that I can\'t find with samples. I don\'t know whether it is the lack of enough strings sampled, the hall, or what, but it seems that this is the one thing that still eludes me, though I\'m very happy with Maestro\'s legato mode, which helps.

I find myself combining sordino patches underneath to lessen the shrillness...for want of a better term...of high section playing. Not a great solution, but gets me by,

Still, thanks for your fine work up here.

tomhartman,

I fully agree with you concerning high registers of strings. The problem in the past was that higher notes were not sampled. Lower notes where streched to the max.

When I recorded a flute I had the same problem with the flute. The silkyness is for some reason very difficult to capture.

Concerning GOS I have not heard a really revolutionary demo that proves what everybody is talking about EXCEPT the ones on Garritan\'s homepage which ARE revolutionary.

I would be happy to hear just a short simple melody played legato with the violins or celli here from somebody who is neutral, has bought GOS and is happy with it.

Currently the is a significant gap between the sound quality of Garritan\'s demos and the sound quality of private demos.

Can anybody help with some simple examples ?

Thanks
    Horst.

Go Back to forum