• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How do I approach this?

Share/Bookmark

How do I approach this?

I\'m new to this forum. I play guitar and I know how to notate music. I cannot play keyboards worth a damn. I would like to create orchestral music and I am uncertain how to go about it. I do have gigastudio and finale. I assume most of the composers on this forum are accomplished keyboardists, but is it possible to notate music and have it sound somewhat realistic? or should I look into the world of midi guitar to record into a sequencer. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: How do I approach this?

I use Finale with Gigastudio all the time. I am able to make good recordings. I am not very good at playing the keyborad anymore, so I am glad that there is a program that can notate and play music.

I use a MIDI guitar controller sometimes for sequencing (including orchestral pieces), and I think you\'d find using one to be worthwhile. You should be able to get parts sequenced faster, and with more natural phrasing.

Not that for many of us there\'s any reason not to also develop keyboard skills .......

Snapper, I collaborate with a friend of mine who is a songwriter and guitarist, but can\'t play keyboard at all. He uses a Roland midi pickup on his guitar and does the most amazing sequencing using it. Very realistic piano parts that sound like a jazz pianist, and highly expressive horn lines.

Thankyou, It is very good to hear that non-keyboardists can make realistic compositions with this technology also. I have heard amazing work on this forum and I believe the majority of composers are keyboardists. I think i will approach this with a midi pickup for the guitar instead of pure notation. I think it would be more gratifying that way anyhow. Thanks!

I\'ve jsut picked up a Roland Guitar synth set up and its been really fun and frustrating at the same time. Its great to be able to write music on the guitar, and to record MIDI through it. It has problems with tracking tho and I \"outplay\" it on faster passages, this is where I go back to the keyboard. I\'m a horrible keyboard player but if you can play guitar you can find the notes on the keyboard and sequence them in. Even if it has to be step written.

You may also want to look at www.starrlabs.com

and their Ztars. I\'ve just ordered a Z6 with all the options and a breath controller. It looks like it will be worht it. I may sell my Roland GR set up if the Ztar does all I want (which it looks like it might do).

there are things I really enjoy about the Roland set up, but I\'m not sure that they out way the problems I\'ve been experiencing. While its REALLY fun, and I can edit out the \"problems\" in a MIDI sequencer. Its tedious and sometimes more effort than me playing notes in on a keyboard. Still Its a bit cheaper than a Ztar setup.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    It has problems with tracking tho and I \"outplay\" it on faster passages, this is where I go back to the keyboard.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Z6 (hence the name). I can\'t say enough good things about it. The Ztar makes other midi guitar designs seem like toys. You won\'t outplay a Ztar (at least not if you\'re tapping the fingerboard - I have a stringless model). As you say, they\'re not cheap but they are worth every cent. The Ztar doesn\'t \'track\' so there are no tracking problems. I guarantee that you\'ll be able to chuck out your keyboard (if that\'s what you want). The Ztar does everything it claims and more (there is a new ROM coming with even more features (individually tunable frets, better sequencing capabilities and a lot more).

I just had a look at the Ztar group at egroups and someone said that there are two Ztars going on ebay (sometimes you can pick them up quite cheap!).

I can\'t wait for mine Z6.

I jsut typed a really long message with my poblems ith the Roland and the good eperiences I\'ve had takling with Harvey and even some questions for you, then hit send.ahd the wrong password. and hit back..ad all was gone. I HATE THAT! I need to reinstall the browsers on this puter. verythign is so screwy. I can\'t even view these BBS boards with Pictures on anymore. I\'ve searched for viruses nothign. I\'m sure its jsut tht it needs to be \"cleaned up\".... grrr..

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    I can\'t wait for mine Z6.

I jsut typed a really long message with my poblems ith the Roland and the good eperiences I\'ve had takling with Harvey and even some questions for you, then hit send.ahd the wrong password. and hit back..ad all was gone. I HATE THAT! I need to reinstall the browsers on this puter. verythign is so screwy. I can\'t even view these BBS boards with Pictures on anymore. I\'ve searched for viruses nothign. I\'m sure its jsut tht it needs to be \"cleaned up\".... grrr..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the feeling. One thing I would say is that when you order a Ztar you have to be very, very patient. It\'s not necessarily a bad thing. Harvey is a real perfectionist, and so the time from when you order to when you get it can seem like an eternity. But he does a wonderful job: hand-crafted digital guitars. When you look at what you get, the price is very low indeed.

As far as support goes, Harvey is in a different league from anything else out there. He responds to every question personally (and often gets involved in offering unique designs to solve whatever problem or requests that head his way).

Frankly, if I was a fat cigar type I\'d invest in his company in a second. His Ztars are a quantum leap over the opposition. I\'m a classical player and I have found nothing else out there is even moderately usable, but the Ztar is, I believe, much, much more than a simple midi controller. To use a hackneyed expression; it is a completely new paradigm.

Axon and Roland would be shaking in their boots if Harvey\'s company had a decent wad of cash to market his instruments. Right now, I think a lot of midi guitarists are very sceptical and conservative, but once you\'ve tried a Ztar, nothing else will do.

I jsut got off the phone with harvey, Looks like it will take about 12 weeks to get my Ztar. their building a configuration they haven\'t built before for me, so its gonna take some extra software programming.

I\'m getting a Z6 with String Triggrs AND he TCA1 key triggers AND the Pot Array on the horn

I\'m so excited about this pot array. I can assign two MIDI controller sto each, and invert them differently on up to 4 channels at the same time. I can use this as a crossfader between vibrato and non vibrato samples in GOS AND still kep the EXP notes playing. NOt to mention all the INCREDIBLE sounds I can create wit analog synthesis via turning one freaking knob.....and I have 6 of them at the same time!!...oh and a breath controller and an after touch sensor on the neck...and a joystick with 4 way CC control!! talk about realistic vibrato/tremolo...SAWWWEEEETT!

argh 12 weeks....

I\'m already gonna start reprogramming some of my instruments to take advantage of the ztar and all the extra controls I get wheeee..

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum