• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: KH String Demos - Full Versions

Share/Bookmark

KH String Demos - Full Versions

Some of you have expressed hearing the full compositions of some of the snips that are at the website ( www.kirkhunterstudios.com ), so here are a few. When I put others up, I\'ll let you know. They are quite long, so be warned.
    Thanks. http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/swfull.mp3 http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/pastoralfull.mp3 http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/violinsolofull.mp3 http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/chmdynbaroq.mp3

Re: KH String Demos - Full Versions

Thanks for the demos. They took a lot of work and I appreciate the time you spent.

Regarding the samples, I cannot for the life of me see what all the fuss about this library is....I don\'t find them credible at all, although a better reverb would help.

The Holy Grail of strings may never be found. Gary\'s is the best so far, with a few exceptions in the library, but no one has nailed the high violins yet....

I put the works up because there was a request. I was not necessarily seeking opinions (especially not negative ones) on the library on this particular thread...

[This message has been edited by MuzkGuy (edited 11-14-2001).]

PatS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tomhartman:
    Gary\'s is the best so far, with a few exceptions in the library, but no one has nailed the high violins yet....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you point us to a recorded example of the high violin sound you believe these libraries haven\'t \"nailed\"? What sort of musical context do you have in mind?

Thanks!

Pat

Tomhartman,
    I have to disagree. These strings are some of the most realistic I\'ve used sitting in a mix. They have a great amount of realism, especially monophonic lines. And the faster detache sound great. No string library yet has captured it all, and while absolute realism is still elusive for us, this library certainly makes a good choice for creating a \'whole\' sound and making the experience very believable.

Mahlon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mahlon:
    Tomhartman,
    I have to disagree. These strings are some of the most realistic I\'ve used sitting in a mix.

Mahlon
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with Tomhartman (although I\'ve never tried them while sitting in a mix).

I thought the demos were beautifully crafted - well done. But that brings us to the point. They were so well-crafted that we can absolutely, positively know that this is as good as it gets for this library.

While the solo stuff sounded pretty cool, the \'high\' sections had moments of that Walter Carlos seventies sound - not a criticism in itself (because it sounded good) but for a grand I would want better.

A lot of it sounded quite phasey also. I know that geezer who posted them said he didn\'t want any negative criticism but that\'s what you get if you want a grand for something and it\'s not absolutely mind-blowing.

Kudos for the great demos though - a double-edged sword for the makers, but great for people who\'re sick of blowing cash on slightly below par product. (I\'ll tell you what though, give me the library for $200 and you\'ve got a deal; those strings are marvelous for $200. Almost as good as Dan Dean\'s for $100 or any number of sonic implants for $20.

This is \'Gigsampler\': the people\'s choice. I\'m sick of hearing how expensive it is to record orchestras and choirs. So what? What\'s that got to do with price? Make something wonderful. Sell it cheap, and you\'ll make money. Nobody in their right minds would pay a grand for this on the strength of those fabulous demos. (Many thanks for making up my mind)

Hi MuzkGuy!

What are the other librairies you used in the demos?

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z6:

This is \'Gigsampler\': the people\'s choice. I\'m sick of hearing how expensive it is to record orchestras and choirs. So what? What\'s that got to do with price? Make something wonderful. Sell it cheap, and you\'ll make money. Nobody in their right minds would pay a grand for this on the strength of those fabulous demos. (Many thanks for making up my mind)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is quiet obvious that you have never hired a full orchestra or choir, and then paid for that orchestra or choir out of your own pocket. It is also obvious that you have never operated a business.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

We think that he just pointed out about some sort of violin recorded section, Fully achieve the symphonic-sized section like 24-Violin with multiple fast attack levels and various velocities. Here is an idea demo from KH site: http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/24vlnsdyn.mp3

The demo is greatly produced, there can be used in many musical composing purposes (not only classical).

One thing is that we don\'t believe that the DEMO strings were using the NFX verbs. It really Pro composed, recorded and mixed! Too good to believe!

We don\'t own GOS, neither KH, we can\'t say much...But the KH DEMO is pretty high quality string-sample. Even though it has huge of verbs, however it must be a good sound source, otherwise verb wouldn\'t help that much.

We also Agree with Z6 about the String\'s pricing is quite extremely high...Not many of us can afford because the string library is not only one library that we shall need in order to make good music...

Regards,
    Long

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PatS:
    Would you point us to a recorded example of the high violin sound you believe these libraries haven\'t \"nailed\"? What sort of musical context do you have in mind?

Thanks!

Pat
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 11-14-2001).]

Z6, \"Geezer\"? Gee thanks! And how do you KNOW that those pieces are the BEST possible? I choose to think there are much more talented composer/Midi-ists out there than those who\'ve contributed to the listed selecitons thus far.

Radu Lupu, Brass is Roland and AO.

LHong, Those demos were all used with a mere stereo pair directly out of the gigaStudio..no mastering, nada.. The only effects were the NFX verbs.

[This message has been edited by MuzkGuy (edited 11-14-2001).]

Go Back to forum