• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Rhythmn guitar strums:Acheivable?

Share/Bookmark

Rhythmn guitar strums:Acheivable?

Hi Everyone,

I\'m a keyboard player without access to a midi guitar,nor can I play one well. My goal is to put together ultra-realistic rhythmn guitar strums to use as backing tracks in a variety of keys,patterns,tempos & moods.I need midi tracks/files to accomplish this.Possible alternatives include going the continous or non continous routes which I\'ll explain shortly.Not looking to artifically generate said objective from pseudo wanabees from applications such as Cakewalk et. al which to me aren\'t acceptable.Primary emphasis is on quality with a capital Q.Ideally,should someone in the group play or have the resources to record some for me that would work fine.Otherwise,if that isn\'t an option,I need to evaluate whether having non-looped/seperate up & down strums triggered by midi files will suffice.Do any of the Gigasampler libraries have looped,i.e. continious rhythmn samples well-executed with lots of variety?I have very good guitar samples and don\'t need another source instrument,but a way to incorporate these samples(seperate samples for every note at mutiple velocities) with the corresponding files wherever they can be discovered.Tried Twiddily Bits and Hans Zimmer which had some use,but were far from complete and limiting.Whats the groups opinion on having seperate up & down strum samples(non-continous audio,the components of the loop are linked together by a midi file) and is there a way to get these files to test out without having to buy the whole CD-rom which I don\'t need?Any
    comments,tips,suggestions or solutions are very much appreciated.Thank you.

Re: Rhythmn guitar strums:Acheivable?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by strummer42:
    Hi Everyone,

I\'m a keyboard player without access to a midi guitar,nor can I play one well. My goal is to put together ultra-realistic rhythmn guitar strums to use as backing tracks in a variety of keys,patterns,tempos & moods.I need midi tracks/files to accomplish this.Possible alternatives include going the continous or non continous routes which I\'ll explain shortly.Not looking to artifically generate said objective from pseudo wanabees from applications such as Cakewalk et. al which to me aren\'t acceptable.Primary emphasis is on quality with a capital Q....

comments,tips,suggestions or solutions are very much appreciated.Thank you.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It\'s not going to happen.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I\'ve played guitar forever and use Giga, Pro Tools, etc and have often gotten lazy enough to want ot play a rhythm part from a sampled source, but the truth is, the intricacies and subtleties of playing rhythm guitar are beyond the scope of a sample. So many things go on in a real rhythm part beyond just the up and down strokes (each stroke varies...it doesn\'t always hit all of the strings each time), the firmness of how you hold the pick on each stroke....it\'s endless.

Better to EMAIL a mp3 to a friend who plays guitar and have him play the part and EMAIL it back to you than to mess with this kind of thing. Remember, the secret to making samples sound great is including some real stuff with them. That real rhythm guitar part will make everything from your drums to your whatever sound more convincing taken as a whole. Complete projects done solely in midi....save for dance type or techno things....are generally lame when compared to the real deal. JMHO.

Tom,

I can somewhat appreciate what you said and acknowledge that its not easy,however I think for a reasonably skilled player it can be done to some degree of satisfaction especially with todays equipment.I\'m primarily searching for the right midi file and to hook-up with someone who is willing to try.It doesn\'t have to be flawless as it can be edited to taste, I just need a accurate \"template\" where the notes, general timing & velocity is present in the file.Are you a midi guitarist?Thanks.

Hi O.H.,

The Digitar distributed from Ilio is 300-400 bucks(or at least it used to be)& is an somewhat expensive option with unknown results until you buy it and then you\'re potentially are stuck with it if doesn\'t meet expectations.I\'d rather buy a couple of cd-roms(if they strongly recommended) or maybe even hire somebody to do it if I knew someone,but don\'t right now.Thanks for the suggestion.

Nevermind, I see you have already tried \"Twiddly Bits\".

[This message has been edited by Tokyo Joe (edited 11-18-2001).]

This query/request needs to be refined and honed down.I would especially like to hear from:1) any purchasers of GS guitar sample libraries & or are also midi guitarists.Specifically,how they evaluated each library and their accompanying midi files as to how authentic & effective(or lack therof)they were.2)What users does to lay down backing tracks short of recording it live to cover that area.Basically,I\'m looking to edit to taste from a 1 or two bar rhythmn pattern recorded from a midi guitar consisting of a single held chord,no finger movement from the left hand with the right hand just strumming up and down hitting most or all of the strings(as applicable) on each pass.Say 10 seconds of continious strumming. Hope this clarifies it a little.Any pointers on the web would be appreciated as to a solution.

Very achievable, at least depending on your level of acceptance in the produced sound. I\'m doing a 100% virtual (no real instruments) cd using gigastudio as the driving force and a few sound modules. Every \"non musician\" who hears my music has no idea it\'s not real musicians playing it. The biggest problem I\'ve come across, is the end result sounding too clean. You have to dub in some scrapes, fret noise, etc. (at very random intervals) to make it sound real.
    It\'s NOT the technology that is limiting this, it\'s the availability of sub par libraries. There should be some good strumming (electric) libraries available within the next 6 months to a year.

Munsie,

How are you accomplishing it,with what libraries and or tools?We could continue this privately if you\'d like.Thanks

Strumming guitar is depended on music styles like pop, rock, country or latin, for example, they all are not same. It is not that simple like to play the guitar-string up and down without any skills.
    Of course to use the MIDI for the strumming guitar is not real (not as well as the strumming audio samples) but it might be aceptable for some or most of *background* mixing songs. What music style do you refer to? we could make customized Strumming MIDI for you without the charged if it\'s easy one!

Anyway, If you or anyone is interested, we could send you one.

BTW, there is a program, which is called Jammer-Pro http://www.soundtrek.com
    It will possibly do some works for you as well.

Hope this helps,
    Long

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by strummer42:
    This query/request needs to be refined and honed down.I would especially like to hear from:1) any purchasers of GS guitar sample libraries & or are also midi guitarists.Specifically,how they evaluated each library and their accompanying midi files as to how authentic & effective(or lack therof)they were.2)What users does to lay down backing tracks short of recording it live to cover that area.Basically,I\'m looking to edit to taste from a 1 or two bar rhythmn pattern recorded from a midi guitar consisting of a single held chord,no finger movement from the left hand with the right hand just strumming up and down hitting most or all of the strings(as applicable) on each pass.Say 10 seconds of continious strumming. Hope this clarifies it a little.Any pointers on the web would be appreciated as to a solution.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 11-18-2001).]

Although there are going probably be some tempo and chord variety restrictions, its very hard to beat samples up and down strums in various keys on some of the existing guitar libraries. Those would include Acoustic Essentials, Maximum Strengh Guitar,Nashville High Strung Guitars and a very good classical guitar from Best Service and the Jacaranda from Bigga Giggas. These all incorporate the sampled strums and some (Maximum Strength for sure) have various noises, thumbs and slides to play with. Maximum strength even has nice MIDI file strum and pick rythms that are played in using a guitar MIDI controller. That one is my favorite acoustic.
    This is my philosophy for samples in general. In addition to multi velocity bread and butter sustain sounds, I really like sampled phrases, licks, strums, trills, runs, ect.. in samples. They are simply more realistic than trying to play them in manually by MIDI. Everything doesn\'t work at all tempos of course but I prefer to adjust the tempo if possible to get the easier to use and more realistic sound.
    That\'s just me though.
    Take care
    David Govett

Go Back to forum