• Register
  • Help
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Purchases Giga Technology Assets from Tascam

Share/Bookmark

Re: Garritan Purchases Giga Technology Assets from Tascam

We're possibly splitting hares (hairs?) here (hear), but I'd have to agree with the sentiment that it did in fact get killed twice - or more accurately I suppose, the hopes of many GS owners were dashed twice.

I'm not going to quibble over whether it was implied or inferred, but I will say that I was under the impression that GS, as an application that played GS libraries, would once again see the light of day. It might not be called GS anymore, and I don't think anyone cares about that, but somehow we, folks who purchased licenses for GS and libraries designed to take advantage of GS, would once again be able to reliably use the libraries.

It is possible that we inferred inaccurately. I went back and reviewed the various press releases and FAQs, and well, I still think they suggest some new tool that would play GS libraries as intended by those library developers. But it is semantics, and that's what writing a good press release is all about.

There was never any suggestion that GS itself would be supported, hence the many questions here and elsewhere about how to re-authorize the product. If nothing else, I have taken away from this whole misadventure that I won't buy another software tool that has any form of registration that could go away if the company goes away. A lesson we all need to learn!

AND, I don't think anyone has suggested (here or elsewhere) that Garritan is a dead end. There will be disappointment over the latest news, and I am certain you were expecting it.

Ultimately you need to do what makes good business sense for Garritan, otherwise you won't be able to continue releasing new libraries, and enhancements to Aria. I think the vast majority of your customers understand that.

I'm still sorry it turned out this way... but I'll live. I hope your unofficial statement below that you have not yet thrown in the towel, especially in the context below, turns out to be a module for the Aria player that accurately and completely plays back GS libraries. But this time around I won't wait for products that have not yet even been announced!

Bill (a long time customer that still thinks that GOS, GPO1-4 , JABB1-3, Strad, Gofriller, and Aria all represent great values and major game changers, and expects more of the same.)

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Tony is right. Giga was killed long before we acquired it. We just purchased the technology remember. And Giga has not been revived since - hence it cannot be killed twice - it was already dead.

Unless it is a zombie program. Siiiiiiilly

We are not at a DEAD-end. We are incorporating some of the Giga technology in ARIA.

Now, if you are disappointed because Giga has not been revived into a new product line yet, so are we. I've had some intervening issues to deal with the past year. But we are still working on it and are not ready to throw in the towel with Giga yet.

And we are looking into various avenues. The old developers helping out with Giga is not an option. Recently, a few companies have also expressed interest in acquiring the Giga assets or licensing from us. We'll see what happens.

Time for braaains!

Reporting from Zombieland

Gaaary Gaaaritan

"Don't cry for me..
    I'm already dead"
    - Barney
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

I have purchased for some years ago an original version of the GS3 that I could not install that time because I needed an antivirus in my only one PC and this did not allowed GS3 to work properly.
    Now I have bouth my next geneartion PC but with 64 bits. How can I install my GS3 Ensemble in a 64 bits system?
    I have heard that Windows 7 Pro has a capacity to emulate 64 bits for 32 bits programs. Is this a good idea?
    If not, how to update now to a higher version of GS3 that allows instaling in a 64 bit system? Is GS4 already in the market? I know that Garriton is the owner of the rights for GS
    I thank to anyone that can comment here. I wish to restart doing sounds!
    Kind regards
    Alfredo

Quote Originally Posted by dupetit View Post
    I have purchased for some years ago an original version of the GS3 that I could not install that time because I needed an antivirus in my only one PC and this did not allowed GS3 to work properly.
    Now I have bouth my next geneartion PC but with 64 bits. How can I install my GS3 Ensemble in a 64 bits system?
    I have heard that Windows 7 Pro has a capacity to emulate 64 bits for 32 bits programs. Is this a good idea?
    If not, how to update now to a higher version of GS3 that allows instaling in a 64 bit system? Is GS4 already in the market? I know that Garriton is the owner of the rights for GS
    I thank to anyone that can comment here. I wish to restart doing sounds!
    Kind regards
    Alfredo
    The 64-bit version of Windows 7 is backwards-compatible with all 32-bit software. Just do a normal installation and Win7 will automatically detect that GS3 is a 32-bit program, then install it under the Program Files (x86) folder. After you do that you can run it, but it will be in the 32-bit environment.

You should not have any problems, but the limitation you should be aware of is that 32-bit will only recognize 4 GB of RAM. If your memory requirements go beyond that, you'll need to migrate over to a 64-bit product. I've only used GPO, so I don't know if there is a 64-bit version of GS in the works. Perhaps someone else on this forum can address the matter further.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

GS3 ... even on my legacy Win XP 32 box ... will only recognize 2 Gb of RAM (my PC has 4 Gb). GS3 won't even boot if I use the /3 Gb switch in the boot.ini file ... which works fine for Sonar 8.5 and all my old Kontakt-based Garritan libraries.

As great and as crystal-clear as my Giga libraries are, I'm weaning myself off of them since the future of using these libraries is really a crap shoot. I can't take that chance in production. Shame.

Regards,

Frank

Dear Steve: Your comment filled me with hopes! I think you mean Windows 7 Pro. The normal W7 version does not allow the installation as I noticed prior to my post to the forum.
    I will now see to install w7 -Pro in the same 64 bit PC in a second Hard Disk and try to install GS3 there.
    When I finished the installation I will install Karspersky as my anti virus in the other booting area of the PC, to be active while running W7, not in the W7 Pro, not allowing Karspersky to act against the GS3 when while installing does it asks for it.
    Karspersky says it is possible from the new Version Karspersky 2011 on. I will post later if I was successfull with it or not.
    What the RAM-Capacity makes there I wil see during installation or should I do something in BIOS before this to ensure not to overdo the RAM expectations?
    I don´t know GPO but if this GS3 does not work any more I will see to purchase any of Garritan now. What do you propose for the start if I wish something similar to GS3-Ensemble? Do these programs of Garritan accept the samples of GS3 ?
    Kind regards and thanks for any comments.
    Alfredo

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    The 64-bit version of Windows 7 is backwards-compatible with all 32-bit software. Just do a normal installation and Win7 will automatically detect that GS3 is a 32-bit program, then install it under the Program Files (x86) folder. After you do that you can run it, but it will be in the 32-bit environment.

You should not have any problems, but the limitation you should be aware of is that 32-bit will only recognize 4 GB of RAM. If your memory requirements go beyond that, you'll need to migrate over to a 64-bit product. I've only used GPO, so I don't know if there is a 64-bit version of GS in the works. Perhaps someone else on this forum can address the matter further.

Steve

Dear Frank:
    I also thank you for these usefull comments.
    What do you think I should do now (please read my comments to Steve above) before I install the GS3 into a second booting hard disk with Windows 7 Pro.
    I have a Packard Bell with lots of speed and surely not much more than 4 G Ram inside.
    Should I go to Bios and reduce it somewhere if higher?
    Can I use (if I fail here) the GS3 libraries with other Garritan programs?
    I thank you for any comments and remain with kind regards
    Alfredo
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    GS3 ... even on my legacy Win XP 32 box ... will only recognize 2 Gb of RAM (my PC has 4 Gb). GS3 won't even boot if I use the /3 Gb switch in the boot.ini file ... which works fine for Sonar 8.5 and all my old Kontakt-based Garritan libraries.

As great and as crystal-clear as my Giga libraries are, I'm weaning myself off of them since the future of using these libraries is really a crap shoot. I can't take that chance in production. Shame.

Regards,

Frank

Dear Steve: Your comment filled me with hopes! I think you mean Windows 7 Pro. The normal W7 version does not allow the installation as I noticed prior to my post to the forum.
    I will now see to install w7 -Pro in the same 64 bit PC in a second Hard Disk and try to install GS3 there.
    When I finished the installation I will install Karspersky as my anti virus in the other booting area of the PC, to be active while running W7, not in the W7 Pro, not allowing Karspersky to act against the GS3 when while installing does it asks for it.
    Karspersky says it is possible from the new Version Karspersky 2011 on. I will post later if I was successfull with it or not.
    What the RAM-Capacity makes there I wil see during installation or should I do something in BIOS before this to ensure not to overdo the RAM expectations?
    I don´t know GPO but if this GS3 does not work any more I will see to purchase any of Garritan now. What do you propose for the start if I wish something similar to GS3-Ensemble? Do these programs of Garritan accept the samples of GS3 ?
    Kind regards and thanks for any comments.
    Alfredo
    I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, and my installs go exactly as I described. Regarding the BOIS, there's nothing you need to do there. Memory management takes place within the Windows environment, so there's nothing you could do through the BIOS anyway. However, it is useful to check the reported capacity against what you actually have. For example if you have 6 GB of RAM but the BIOS reports only 4, you would know that you have a bad memory chip.

In my opinion upgrading to GPO 4 would be an excellent idea for two reasons. First, the GS3 library is getting kind of old, and I think you would find the GPO 4 sounds to be as good or better. Second, the ARIA player that comes with GPO 4 has a 32-bit and 64-bit version, so this would free you from the RAM limitations you're stuck with using GS3. The only thing is that if you're using a DAW such as Cubase, Sonar, Logic, etc., you'll need to upgrade to the 64-bit version of that software as well. I'm really advocating all this pretty strongly to people because even if you don't need it now, being able to expand beyond the 4GB memory limit later is likely to become a neccesity as instrument libraries get bigger and/or you add more goodies to your creative tool kit. I could list many more reasons in support of upgrading to GPO 4, but I think you get the idea.

Getting back to GS3, I don't believe there is any way to import the GS samples into the current Garritan product. I could be wrong though, so perhaps someone else can give you a more difinitive answer. However, this may not have to be an either/or proposition -- if there are some GS3 sounds you simply can't live without, I think you should be able to run GS3 side-by-side with GPO 4. If so, you'd just have to remember to use the 32-bit version of ARIA when you do. You may find the idea worth at least looking into.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Dear Frank:
    I also thank you for these usefull comments.
    What do you think I should do now (please read my comments to Steve above) before I install the GS3 into a second booting hard disk with Windows 7 Pro.
    I have a Packard Bell with lots of speed and surely not much more than 4 G Ram inside.
    Should I go to Bios and reduce it somewhere if higher?
    Can I use (if I fail here) the GS3 libraries with other Garritan programs?
    I thank you for any comments and remain with kind regards
    Alfredo
    Hi Alfredo,

No, as Steve mentioned, there's not much to worry about with the BIOS setting. I chimed-in just to point out that 2 Gb is the limit w/ Giga 3. As long as you don't try and go beyond that (by altering the boot.ini file), you should be OK. I just keep Giga 3 on my old XP 32 box and do everything else on a new Win 7 64 machine.

Good luck! ... and regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by thaoly View Post
    I needed an antivirus in my only one PC and this did not allowed GS3 to work properly.
    great thank!
    You can:

1)try turning the antivirus off;
    2)try using system restore to revert your system to before you installed the antivirus;
    3)use a disk image backup from recently, if you have one..

Michael
    Dell Core2Duo E7200, 3GB Ram, SATA 160GB, SATA 250GB, Yamaha KX88 controller, Cubase Essential 4, Gigastudio 3.

That is ancient history.

The product, going forward, is effectively dead.

Friendly Advice: Use what you can -- or move on to something else.

Go Back to forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast