Re: Garritan Purchases Giga Technology Assets from Tascam

Larry you are one in a million!

Thanks for the tip...
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Quote Originally Posted by michael88s View Post
    Well, I guess I jumped the gun there thinking that the acquisition would be of benefit to existing users of Gigastudio. My thought was about existing licenses and being able to move them to other machines, etc.

I just assumed this would be addressed, but it doesn't look like it, since the FAQ's say there WON'T be support for existing users.
    yay! I'm so glad that the Giga reign WILL continue! It's still early to tell, but hopefully this would mean (for me) the a new vst version will be released standard pc and mac. In the faq it says the new team will be looking for suggestions / ideas for develepment...

Quote Originally Posted by leenco12 View Post
    yay! I'm so glad that the Giga reign WILL continue! It's still early to tell, but hopefully this would mean (for me) the a new vst version will be released standard pc and mac. In the faq it says the new team will be looking for suggestions / ideas for develepment...
    No offense intended, but I'm not exactly sure what your optimism is based on.

This acquisition took place over 17 months ago, and unless I am mistaken, there hasn't been any indication that a next-gen product is forthcoming.

I am happy to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    That's right wakestyle, we're looking for ideas and suggestions. We have an exciting road ahead of us.

Best,

Gary
    Congratulations Gary, I couldnt be happier for you or for the fate of GigaStudio! Not only can I finally breath easy that all my investments in upgrading to GS4 64 bit last year will finally get a stable release but I am truly excited to see where your talent and prowess will lead this product. My very best wishes on a successful endeavor!

Well, it would seem that today's newsletter clearly paints a future that does not include a reborn standalone GigaStudio product. Should not be a surprise to anyone.

I really regret that Giga has been killed twice, first by Tascam, and then by Garritan. It's still my favorite platform, running on 3 of my sample PCs and it is so rock solid on simple, now legacy PCs (Athlon XPs). I keep these machines as black box hardware samplers and add newer libraries to additional PCs. But the Kontakt instruments perform really poorly compared to Giga.
    I wish the Giga assets were purchased back by the original developers for a version 5, that would again outperform all other current players.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos View Post
    I really regret that Giga has been killed twice, first by Tascam, and then by Garritan. It's still my favorite platform, running on 3 of my sample PCs and it is so rock solid on simple, now legacy PCs (Athlon XPs). I keep these machines as black box hardware samplers and add newer libraries to additional PCs. But the Kontakt instruments perform really poorly compared to Giga.
    I wish the Giga assets were purchased back by the original developers for a version 5, that would again outperform all other current players.
    How can something be killed twice? Tascam pulled the plug, end of.

I wish that Giga 3 had run smoothly on my machine. After screwing around with the buggy program registration for a few months. Darn thing kept losing it's registration info, then Tascam acted like I was stealing the program after the 4th time it happened to me. I unstalled and haven't looked back.

After reading posts about the issues many users were having without certain bugs not being fixed and the long time between updates (especially for Giga 3), I came to the conclusion that the code must really be a mess.

Jim

I really regret that Giga has been killed twice, first by Tascam, and then by Garritan.
    +1 - very disappointing, but I guess it turned out to be a direction that made no business sense for them. Pity!

It's still my favorite platform, running on 3 of my sample PCs and it is so rock solid on simple, now legacy PCs (Athlon XPs). I keep these machines as black box hardware samplers and add newer libraries to additional PCs. But the Kontakt instruments perform really poorly compared to Giga.
    I would have to agree, though I have been reasonably successful in my search to find good replacement libraries, and am still moving to retiring my lone GS machine. However, your post brings up a question... have you found a way to re-install GS should the time come? And I guess that begs the question which version are you running? I'm still using GS3, and thus have to deal with the very real possiblity that the C/R system will one day be completely mothballed. There was rumor, at one point, that a permanent response could would be provided to licensed users, but alas, it was just a rumor.

That would be cool! Even cooler, imagine that it would import Kontakt libraries<G>!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Tony is right. Giga was killed long before we acquired it. We just purchased the technology remember. And Giga has not been revived since - hence it cannot be killed twice - it was already dead!

Unless it is a zombie program. Siiiiiiilly

We are not at a DEAD-end.

Now, if you are disappointed because Giga has not been revived into a new product line yet, so are we. I've had some intervening issues to deal with the past year which has slowed things down. But we are still working on it and are not ready to throw in the towel with Giga yet. We are incorporating some of the Giga technology in ARIA.

And we are looking into various avenues. The old developers helping out with Giga is not an option. Recently, a few companies have also expressed interest in acquiring the Giga assets or licensing from us. We'll see what happens.

Time for braaains!

Reporting from Zombieland

Gaaary Gaaarritan

"Don't cry for me..
    I'm already dead"
    - Barney

Go Back to forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast