• Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Topic: Garritan Purchases Giga Technology Assets from Tascam

Share/Bookmark

Post Re: Garritan Purchases Giga Technology Assets from Tascam

Like many people, I have invested in Giga-format libraries. I have GVI, and so far it is working, but there are issues with the software.

What I would like to see is the ability to use my existing libraries. I would not have a problem getting new updated software. I just want to use what I have, and I don't want to deal with converting things to another player. The Sonivox libraries have options to port to other formats, but as I have stated, I am not interested in that option. I want to use what I already have. I want to load the sounds into the new player.

I still use Finale, and if the new player is VSTi compatible, then I could work with my sounds. I just hope the volume levels will be loud enough so I can hear what I am working on. With GVI, the volume level drops too much, and almost everything is too soft. This problem makes my working environment more difficult than it needs to be.

My hope is that Mr. Garitan will be able to work with Makemusic so that the new player and Finale will work as good as they can.
    Last edited by esperlad; 07-18-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Gramtical errors

Re: Garritan Purchases Giga Technology Assets from Tascam

I'm very happy to see that Giga will be revived , and could not think of a better devoloper than Gary for the job !!.... I'm still using Giga on my PC and have a Mac that I am working on that I will probably get Komplete 5 with the present offerings and load Kontakt ....I have been very fortunate to have a computer wereby I could run Giga without issue ...I know there have been others with major problems, but I have been fortunate ....My library is HUGE and would really like to see the NEW Giga program ported to be able to use the older samples ....I don't mind loosing my money on the actual program itself , but I surely don't want to loose the ability to use my present library ..This is REALLY important to me .... Thanks for listening Gary, and good luck with the company ....Sincerely, Jim

HI
    I'm a user of Giga with all the VSL and many other libraries. Having ported some of the libraries to other hosts, I'm still using GS4 mainly (its a bit buggy - it does'nt remember controller assignments whens its closed down but the engine is very stable and it gives far greater polyphony that the other main competitors. Great for hosting orchestra pallettes even in its current limited ram format.

If Gary does revive it so that all existing Giga libraries can be used

1) I would buy the new host program assuming it contains a similar or better engine that GS 4
    2) that it maintains the reverbs and flexibility of stacking and triggering patches
    3) that some sort of copy protection is available for the software (dongle) and the samples. This must have been a big problem with the Gig platform. I was often asked to copy .gig files. On principal that I had paid for them I always declined.

best of luck with the acquisition. I'm sure there are many people out there who would jump at the lifeline provided,

John

wow haven't been on this board in a while...very interesting
    -david abraham
    Facebook

Is there any progress info related to further development of giga technology (7 months passed), or are you still in initial phase of analysing the code?

Hello Gary, could you please answer the previous question. It would help us who are concerned with our future after GS.

Best regards

Ted Vanya

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have read through this thread. Very interesting developments.

I own GS3 Orchestra and was considering an upgrade to GS4 since I have been switching all my studio machines to Windows 7 64bit. Right now I have a dual boot with GS3 running on XP. I have grown really "weary" of 32 bit XP.

Can anyone tell me...

1) whether GS4 is stable enough and reliable enough in its present state to make it worth the upgrade ($199),

or

2) whether Gary's developers will be coming out sometime next year with a kick GS4 replacement with a competitive upgrade?

My guess is I might be waiting a while for a GS4 replacement and I should shell out the $199.

Cheers,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jkswenson View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have read through this thread. Very interesting developments.

I own GS3 Orchestra and was considering an upgrade to GS4 since I have been switching all my studio machines to Windows 7 64bit. Right now I have a dual boot with GS3 running on XP. I have grown really "weary" of 32 bit XP.

Can anyone tell me...

1) whether GS4 is stable enough and reliable enough in its present state to make it worth the upgrade ($199),

or

2) whether Gary's developers will be coming out sometime next year with a kick GS4 replacement with a competitive upgrade?

My guess is I might be waiting a while for a GS4 replacement and I should shell out the $199.

Cheers,
    Joe
    1) No. Yes if you are running a card that supports GSIF 2.1. RME still has GSIF 2.1 support.
    You can't even get GS4 to run as a 32 bit app on a 64 bit system. Best to keep dual booting if you like Gigas. Otherwise go to Kontakt.

2) No. Too much code.
    $199 is too much to waste on a product that is not supported.

Congrats Gary!
    Nice to know Gig has a new home. I guess I don't have to tell you that the easier you make it for everyone to own and operate the better it will be for your awesome libraries. Good Luck on your venture.
    currently residing at Sampleheaven.com

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
    1) No. Yes if you are running a card that supports GSIF 2.1. RME still has GSIF 2.1 support.
    You can't even get GS4 to run as a 32 bit app on a 64 bit system. Best to keep dual booting if you like Gigas. Otherwise go to Kontakt.

2) No. Too much code.
    $199 is too much to waste on a product that is not supported.
    Yeah, I suspected that... Thanks!

I use M-Audio cards which have always worked well with GS3. But Even GS3 lockes up my XP machine about 25% of the time on boot-up. Have to hit reset and then it usually comes up fine onthe next reboot. Once its running its good for the session.

I was playing with Kotakt 4 over the Holidays. Pretty Nice. I was just about to purchase when I thought I'd chjeck for a response on my posting here. I have a lot of Native Instruments already so investing in Kontakt seems like the right thing to do. I have always like the quality of their software and samples.

Thanks Again,
    Joe

Go Back to forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast