• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigapiano problem on M-AUDIO Delta 2496

Share/Bookmark

Gigapiano problem on M-AUDIO Delta 2496

Hello!

I have one problem regarding Gigasampler and Gigapiano sample. All other samples works fine without pops and clicks.

Gigasampler 1.6 LE (Maximum Tools package) is installed on ASUS P4 1500 Mhz, IBM 40 Gb ULTRA/ATA 7200 rpm and 640 Mb of RAMBUS RAM. Soundcard is M-AUDIO 2496. Operating system is Windows 98 SE. M-Audio 2496 works as audio output (analog) and MIDI input. I installed drivers that came with soundcard but I am not sure whether GSIF driver is installed as default interface to Gigasampler because there is no way to check that.

When I play Gigapiano (installed on clean defragmented drive) I hear lots of click and pops and strange loops at the end of some samples (sometimes loud, sometimes quiet). Situation repeats completely random and I can not predict when this clicks and pops will appear again. This problem occurs only when pedal is down but not always.

According to specification for optimal computer configuration my configuration is more than optimal. M-AUDIO 2496 is GSIF compatible thus good for Gigasampler. There is 640 Mb installed in computer but Gigasampler use only fraction of that memeory. Why? Is there any way to allocate more memory to Gigasampler. When I play there is lots of hard disk activity. I suppose it would be much better if Gigapiano sample would be loaded into main memory.

I suspected on latency problem. I tried all latency variables available in M-AUDIO control panel but that not changes anything. Then I tried to change overall attenuation from 0 db to –14 db (clipping) but I got same result.

Before GS I installed Unity piano but it works very very strange. I uninstalled it but under Contorl Panel/Multimedia/Devices/MIDI Devices and instruments Unity DS-1:A is still present.

Please, if anybody meet this kind of problem, let me know.

Thanks!

Igor

Re: Gigapiano problem on M-AUDIO Delta 2496

I had a similar problem, when I ran GigaStudio 96 on the same machine with my sequencer (Cakewalk Audio Pro 9.03). That PC had a lot of software installed, two soundcards, many drivers, and was a real mess. That \"clutter\" may have contributed to the problem: Always when I pressed the pedal and then payed notes with the pedal down, the resulting sustain caused strange looping effects. But only for a few notes on the Gigapiano: G3 to B3.
    I told the Nenesys tech support, but never got an answer.
    Finally I installed GigaStudio on a new, clean system, fresh from the start, and that problem never occured again!

Therefore my suggestion: re-install the whole PC. Format the HD, put a new installation of Window98 SE on it, with all the service packs (Windows Update on the MS web site), then install step by step all you need.
    The problem may be, as you already suspected, some remaining drivers from a previous installation of another hw/sw.

Reinhold

Before you go formatting hard drives and other horrible measures, try the M-audio website. You can download the multiclient drivers to make sure that you\'re using the most up-to-date drivers (take care though, I use the same soundcard and while it has worked impeccably, Giga persists in telling me that it is not Giga compatible - I don\'t know why, but it is compatible and it works fine).

I noticed that you said you had Giga LE; is that Giga Lite? With only 48 voices? If that is the case then it will almost certainly snap, crackle and pop at Gigapiano with the pedal. My system routinely hits 160 voices with gigapiano and a pedal (and me hitting lots of random stuff).

The other thing is that even if you have a great drive (and the one you have seems fine) I suspect that Giga really needs a couple of those (with all of your samples on the second drive).

But check how many \'voices\' your package has. (Only format the hard drive when you\'re about to kill yourself, there is almost always a solution before that last resort.)

Good luck - you might also try the Nemesys group at egroups, if you can\'t get a solution here.

Thanks Reinhold and thanks Z6! I\'ll try to solve this problem according to your suggestions. If that will not solve the problem I\'ll buy Gigastudio. 48 polyphony is relly not enought for Gigapiano although I use also Yamaha P50 hardware sampler with only 32 voices polyphony without similar problems.

...and what about GS\'s lousy use of memory?

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z6:
    Before you go formatting hard drives and other horrible measures, try the M-audio website. You can download the multiclient drivers to make sure that you\'re using the most up-to-date drivers (take care though, I use the same soundcard and while it has worked impeccably, Giga persists in telling me that it is not Giga compatible - I don\'t know why, but it is compatible and it works fine).

I noticed that you said you had Giga LE; is that Giga Lite? With only 48 voices? If that is the case then it will almost certainly snap, crackle and pop at Gigapiano with the pedal. My system routinely hits 160 voices with gigapiano and a pedal (and me hitting lots of random stuff).

The other thing is that even if you have a great drive (and the one you have seems fine) I suspect that Giga really needs a couple of those (with all of your samples on the second drive).

But check how many \'voices\' your package has. (Only format the hard drive when you\'re about to kill yourself, there is almost always a solution before that last resort.)

Good luck - you might also try the Nemesys group at egroups, if you can\'t get a solution here.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Igor,

I run a very similar configuration to yours.. a P4 1.8 and Audiophile 2496. I ran Gigasampler LE for a while before I upgraded to GS 160 and never had any pops or cracks in Gigapiano runniung in LE. When it runs out of voices it cuts off the oldest voice but you don\'t hear pops or cracks so its not because you\'re running the LE version.
    What kind of video card are you running? Is it a 3D card with some kind of utility that\'s always running in the system tray? Also, check your IRQ\'s and make sure that the Audiophile is not sharing its IRQ with any other devices. Let us know what you find.

Mike

Check Vcache setting in system.ini file, somewhere arround 64000 (min=max). Don\'t forget to use/install the ATA-IDE-driver from CD, which is came along with ASUS-MB then check enabled-DMA.
    Good luck,
    Long

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z6:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go Back to forum