• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with choosing a piano Gigasample

Share/Bookmark

Help with choosing a piano Gigasample

Hi all

I\'m in the process of building a portable piano setup using GigaStudio. I intend to purchase an M-Audio Audiophile card (comments?!) and would very much appreciate any info regarding a) which controller to go for (I understand that control over velocity output is particularly important), and b) which piano sample to go for.

As we all know, music is a subjective thing - but I\'m having a devil of a time trying to choose from just a couple of demo mp3 files from each one - particularly when most of them don\'t reflect my style of playing (Keith Jarrett/Chick Corea jazz).

As far as I can tell, the only way I\'m going to find out is simply trial and error - which sounds frightfully expensive ...

If it helps, I particularly like the bright and complex resonances produced by Steinway pianos as most of my playing is centred two octaves either side of middle c.

Sorry to waffle on ...

Steve.

Re: Help with choosing a piano Gigasample

Hi Steve!

I have M-AUdiophile 2496. It works fine after few adjustments. I experienced some problems with gigapiano sample but i do not think that problem is caused by audio card.

There are lots of piano samples out there. I think that East West Steinway B is the best pinao sample. Gigapiano (Yamaha) is OK but not perfect. The main problem is many
    abrubt transitions in the pitch and velocity
    domains. Many notes next to each other have
    vastly different character.

Igor

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sjduck:
    Hi all

I\'m in the process of building a portable piano setup using GigaStudio. I intend to purchase an M-Audio Audiophile card (comments?!) and would very much appreciate any info regarding a) which controller to go for (I understand that control over velocity output is particularly important), and b) which piano sample to go for.

As we all know, music is a subjective thing - but I\'m having a devil of a time trying to choose from just a couple of demo mp3 files from each one - particularly when most of them don\'t reflect my style of playing (Keith Jarrett/Chick Corea jazz).

As far as I can tell, the only way I\'m going to find out is simply trial and error - which sounds frightfully expensive ...

If it helps, I particularly like the bright and complex resonances produced by Steinway pianos as most of my playing is centred two octaves either side of middle c.

Sorry to waffle on ...

Steve.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GigaPiano (IMO) also has mono-compatibility problems - maybe a problem when using live (dead points in the mix, etc)

Yup, the Steinway B sample, with all its shortcomings is still the best overall IMO. It must be fiddled with though, in many ways, to get the most from it. I\'ve got a large number of examples of the sound at my Bach site. I tweaked the piano sample differently for each one. Some are better than others. Here\'s two quick urls http://www.mp3.com/stations/bach_wtc_1_part1 http://www.mp3.com/stations/wtc2

I\'ve got some Chopin and Beethoven\'s Moonlight at mp3, but I\'ve forgotten the URL.

p.s. \"prelude 5\" probably represents the best I\'ve done so far (tonally); fugues 8 and 12 are OK too. I don\'t like the sound of the piano on my prelude 1, which, unfortunately, is the first piece at the site. \"Ich Ruff\" is ok. And, yes, you\'ll hear a few clicks here and there. I gotta upgrade one of these days.

[This message has been edited by john g (edited 01-04-2002).]

Hi
    I\'m, going to buy a piano library as well
    and has been doing a survey on the Demo\'es.

Take a look at this site: http://www.purgatorycreek.com/

Look under Digital Piano Shootout

Here most of the available pianos are
    compared by playing the same piece of
    music.

Personally I think the Trachtmann 8-layer
    and Post\'s Estonia Grand (not included in
    Digital Shootout) are great pianos.
    The Steinway B is also good ( but somewhat
    more expensive), the Malmsj° has a wonderfull
    tone - but is kind of to special for general
    all-round use.
    The Gigapiano is awfull - lots of ringing,
    lots of metallic sounds.

Anyway I\'m waiting to see how Post\'s
    B÷esendorfer turns out.

Bjk

I think having a few pianos is the best bet. For mellow soft stuff, the Malmsjo Acoustic Grand is fantastic. It happens to be my personal fav.
    For a brighter sound, the Trachtman 8 layer Steinway sounds the best to me when listening from the Digital Piano shootout.
    John G\'s Steinway B from East West sounds really good to me as well

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 01-05-2002).]

Oh, dear - I got the Bosendorfer a bit mixed up in my previous post - seems its
    Bardstown doing that one - Michael Post
    is doing some other stuff.

Sorry
    Bjk

Thank you everyone for your replies. It would appear as though the Trachtman and Steinway B are the two to go for. I\'ll let you know how I get on.

Go Back to forum