• Register
  • Help

Topic: Free male voice for Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

Free male voice for Kontakt

I made this last summer when I was pretty new to the sampling world, recording my own voice, sampled chromatically, at 3 velocity layers per note (for most notes), 2 octaves. It sounds ok--not particularly great. There's basically no vibrato, and the notes don't sound great, but maybe some of you can find a use for it. I made this for Kontakt 3, but it will probably work with 2.

The legato button doesn't work yet--I had planned on recording legato transitions between notes, but that was taking so long, I only sampled a few, between c and a couple of the surrounding notes. The script is there, though, if anyone wants to look at it. It's pretty simple.

Here's a quick audio demo, basically of me just plunking out a few chords to that patch: http://audio.isg.si/audiox/?q=node/32178

Here's the nki file with wave files, zipped up:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c...4e75f6e8ebb871

Use it however you want, the only thing I ask is that if you make improvements to it that you let me know/send them to me.

edit: Also, if you use it for any interesting projects, I'd like to know. I can't make you notify me, but I'd like to hear about it, if you do.

Re: Free male voice for Kontakt

Thanks. Love free stuff. Now all we need is a free female soloist . . .

Thanks, glad to hear someone may be able to get some use out of it.

Revisiting this patch, not really having looked at it since I made it last summer, it actually seems better than I remember, so I think I might do a little work to clean it up, like tuning some of the notes. I decided to look at this again after I bought DIVA.

I actually did find a female soloist in SF2 format once, I'll see if I can figure out where it was. The singing was much better than in mine, but it wasn't sampled chromatically, and only had one velocity layer, I think, so it didn't sound all that natural. Also, I don't think it could be used for commercial purposes.

It works wonders!...
    Thanks!
    The voices are like those quartet vocalists from the sixties...
    So,
    I made a quick demo with it....

http://www.box.net/shared/tuphyarfjv

Only probs ive got with this instrument is that some of the notes are a wee bit off key....But its fixable using a little pitchbend.....
    Other than that...

Bravo!

Well mpalenik, I think Heckler found a really unexpected and creative way to use the samples.

I understand that you are releasing your work "mid-process" and the library seems useful, but I think it is important that somebody Melodyne the samples before it gets used more. IT would definitely increase the utility as, naturally, some of the notes are more on pitch than others (which is true for most singers if a large range is sampled).

I certainly prefer Bela D for classical/ethnic vocals, but with some work this would be good to fill that gap in my "50s male vocalist"" samples. Plus, it's free.

Kudos,
    Per

Thanks a lot for the free stuff. Downloading it now. Hopefully I can get some good use out of it...

Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    It works wonders!...
    Thanks!
    The voices are like those quartet vocalists from the sixties...
    So,
    I made a quick demo with it....

http://www.box.net/shared/tuphyarfjv

Only probs ive got with this instrument is that some of the notes are a wee bit off key....But its fixable using a little pitchbend.....
    Other than that...

Bravo!
    Pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Per Lichtman View Post
    Well mpalenik, I think Heckler found a really unexpected and creative way to use the samples.

I understand that you are releasing your work "mid-process" and the library seems useful, but I think it is important that somebody Melodyne the samples before it gets used more. IT would definitely increase the utility as, naturally, some of the notes are more on pitch than others (which is true for most singers if a large range is sampled).

I certainly prefer Bela D for classical/ethnic vocals, but with some work this would be good to fill that gap in my "50s male vocalist"" samples. Plus, it's free.

Kudos,
    Per
    I almost thought about buying melodyne just for that purpose, but it didn't seem worth it. If anybody does that, though, PLEASE send the samples to me. I was going to try tuning manually, but that's a huge pain, especially when the pitch fluxuates on a note.

And definitely, Bela D stuff is going to be better, obviously, because I didn't put nearly as much time into this as I'm sure they do. I would like to someday finish the legato transitions, though, which I think will make for a really cool library.

I started sampling my guitar last night. I'm not really a guitar player, but that shouldn't matter too much for this. It was around 3 AM, though, and I realized that although I thought I had recorded releases for every note and cutoff "slaps" (I'm not sure what the real term for that is), I had pro-tools set to record the wrong channel, and so I got nothing

I'll try again next week, since I'm too busy to finish right now.

edit: Heckler, that was pretty awesome.

This is just to let you know that this instrument does not work with Kontakt 2. (I get an error message telling me that it was generated by a later version of Kontakt and it will not allow me to choose it or convert it to Kontakt 2 format).

Well, that's good to know. Without the scripting (only used in legato mode, which isn't finished--and probably doesn't use any Kontakt 3 specific commands), there's absolutely nothing funny that would have a hard time translating back to Kontakt 2, but it sounds like Kontakt 2 won't even try to load anything with a Kontakt 3 header.

It might be possible for me to manually go in there and change the header so it looks like a Kontakt 2 file. . . I'm just curious to see if it would load then, if anyone with Kontakt 2 wants to give loading it it a try.

Go Back to forum