• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Things that make you go hmm...

Share/Bookmark

Things that make you go hmm...

Ever notice recently when a sample library is released or announced, a small flood of similar product arrives?

Case(s) in point:

QL Strat, Vintaudio Clear Guitars, Fender Strat Vol. 1. from Digital Complete.

Scarbee Fingered, E-Basses from Yellow Tools.

Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand from Bardstown, PMI\'s GRANDIOSO Steinway

Sounds like an X-File to me....

Re: Things that make you go hmm...

Well noticed, Munsie,
    but should we complain : it makes bigger choice for us users and, (I hope) creates a quest for quality from the developpers, and also generally keeps prices in the green zone...
    I remember a not-so-old time when choices (and quality)were far more limited, especially in the fretted instruments realm !
    Cheers

Hi Munsie,
    I feel personally addressed here. We\'re trying to make great libraries. And we try to inform users about the sound by giving feedback and demo files. This forum serves many goals in that respect.
    When two or more developers are making comparable libaries it\'s mostly coincidence. The development of a piano library takes 4 to 7 months in my case. I didn\'t plan to release it next to the Bosendorfer Imperial sample.

A Steinway Model D and a Bosendorfer Imperial are two different world class pianos. The majority of people who are wanting great sampled pianos, like having a variety.
    I am sure all piano musicians want
    to have all of the best sampled pianos. With the wonderful TASCAM/NEMESYS Giga sampling technology, it is within the grasp of all piano musicians to have all of the best sampled pianos.
    I do hope that our piano\'s are complimentary to each other, rather than to get
    into a contest as to which one is the better of the two. There is no better best etc in sampling.

Michiel Post

Hi Munsie,

No matter who makes what, I will create a Strat guitar library this year - and why?
    Because I love to do it...

How many drums CD have we bought for the old AKAI? I have stop counting! Hopefully there is a guitar market left for me in the end of the year...

Well, for my part i can honestly say i didn\'t even know Phoenix was doing a Strat library when i started doing Giga Clean Electric Guitars but when i did find out it didn\'t bother me that much since my library has a Strat but also has 2 other guitars (Gibson Lespaul and Godin)so not exactly same kind of library, and honestly i think the Godin sounds way better than the Strat(personal taste here). I mainly did my library cause there were none out there at the time with Full neck sampled at at least 3 velocities per fret, mutes swells and hammer-ons, and at an affordable price....

I say the more the merrier, like drums, pianos, basses, more libraries = more sonic choices for musicians which has to be a good thing.

Franky
    Vintaudio www.vintaudio.com

I think it\'s just a matter of talented people noticing a hole in the market which they can address.

We\'ll probably see two orchestral brass libraries (or more) appear at around the same time, as that hole has been highlighted a fair bit now.

And of course, coincidence is a pretty strong force:

Remember Armageddon and Deep Impact? I would have hated to be the money man behind one of those when news of the other hit the street...

C\'mon guys. There\'s no such thing as coincidence! We all know all you developers are in collusion; I have Webcam files from those secret meetings in the San Jose Starbucks where you all agreed to release piano libraries at the same time, in order to dilute your markets!

But seriously, I would think the process is something more like: Hmmm, what\'s missing there\'s a market for and would be fun?

And great minds think similarly.

And it takes a great mind (to say nothing of a strong butt-or at least a really good ergonomic chair- and LOTS of coffee!) to create a great library.

SO-great similar libraries at the same time. It figgers!

But there is ALWAYS room for another great instrument. I have not even BEGUN collecting guitars and basses, and while I can choose from six or more of each at this point, I find that if I let the instrument drive the creative process, I love what I have, but if I start with a specific idea of a guitar/bass sound, I still need another lib...

So sample on, ye developers. We\'ll be out here salivating like Pavlov\'s canines, waiting for the next sampled bell!

Dasher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    Hi Munsie,
    I feel personally addressed here. We\'re trying to make great libraries. And we try to inform users about the sound by giving feedback and demo files. This forum serves many goals in that respect.
    When two or more developers are making comparable libaries it\'s mostly coincidence. The development of a piano library takes 4 to 7 months in my case. I didn\'t plan to release it next to the Bosendorfer Imperial sample.

A Steinway Model D and a Bosendorfer Imperial are two different world class pianos. The majority of people who are wanting great sampled pianos, like having a variety.
    I am sure all piano musicians want
    to have all of the best sampled pianos. With the wonderful TASCAM/NEMESYS Giga sampling technology, it is within the grasp of all piano musicians to have all of the best sampled pianos.
    I do hope that our piano\'s are complimentary to each other, rather than to get
    into a contest as to which one is the better of the two. There is no better best etc in sampling.

Michiel Post
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Michiel,

Very well stated

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

\"Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    I feel personally addressed here...\" <snip>

Nahh...not at all Mr. Post! It was just an attempt at some humor, I guess the humor didn\'t make it through eh? Anyway, where would GigaStudio be without all of the libraries?? And like another user observed, it\'s NAMM time! Ofcourse you guys are gonna try like hell to get your stuff out by then. Bring the libraries on, we need them all!

Scarbee - You BETTER do that Guitar library!! There\'s still plenty of room for a GREAT guitar library.

If you\'d like to go for virtual Pavlov, I\'ve got some handbells samples that could really do wonders for you. As to the new libraries, I think a lot of that is just that it\'s that NAMM time of year now.

Go Back to forum