• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: GOS E.T.theme

Share/Bookmark

GOS E.T.theme

Here is the ET demo that Thomas did such a killer job using GOS strings. Of course my brass doesn\'t nearly compare and a few notes might be off, but here is what it could sound like with GOS if anyones interested
    http://damonbbradley.tripod.com/damonbradley/

The demo is at the bottom of my webpage.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 01-16-2002).]

Re: GOS E.T.theme

I am new to sampling and don\'t have any libriaries as of yet. I have been trying out different samples at stores... When I tried out Hunter\'s strings I thought they were terrible... BUT I recently found out they were using an emu set on a roland xv-5080. I keep getting that awefull sucking sound on every release.
    Anyways, I personally think Hunter\'s strings sounded MUCH more realistic. I have been a symphony musician for years... but who am I to judge? I don\'t know what string libriary to buy? Any suggestions?
    notemover

GOS is the only library that comes close.
    And it still needs a lot of tweaking using the GPCs. I have about 30 years of symphony experience.
    Jeannot.

I went back and tightened up the strings more and fixed a few notes. I sure do wish I had Thomas\' brass though!
    All Violins SusV were used for the violin parts in Legato mode.
    Cello SusV LEG, and Viola SusV Leg were used as well.
    Bass is Miroslav because I like the warmth and tone of those basses (just a personal choice> GOS bass is still good )
    Brass is DD solo french horn Ens f and Miroslav fhs FF quietly underneath.
    Percussion is UOP and harp is AO glissando.
    Flutes are AO.
    Anyway, Thomas got me inspired to hear what the demo would sound like on GOS

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 01-16-2002).]

sounds nice Damon,

Might want to go back and add some slides or do glissandos between notes. Even slight grace notes will help create \"movement\" between notes.

Dan Dean brass responds REALLY well to glissandos

I made some really nice rips with the french horn in real time.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Thanks for listening King That\'s a good idea, but I\'m getting really burnt out on hearing this theme over and over (granted it\'s beautiful) and I don\'t know if I could get the DD french horn short crescendo to work. Maybe I\'ll try again tomorrow.
    I did add another harp gliss and flute run.
    Hey King, I\'d like to hear your french horn rips. Where would they be?

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 01-17-2002).]

Anyways, I personally think Hunter\'s strings sounded MUCH more realistic. I have been a symphony musician for years... but who am I to judge? I don\'t know what string libriary to buy? Any suggestions?
    notemover[/B][/QUOTE]

I have to agree that Kirk Hunter sounds more realistic. It seems that GOS lacks Realism. I listened to many Demos with GOS on this forum, but I aint impressed. I am mmore impressed with the compositions, even at that GOS still sounds lacking.

To me GOS is great, that it uses full Midi Capabilities and Maestro Tools. But I think I will make the choice to buy Miroslav or Kirk Hunter. I feel the Violins/Violas are more expressive in these Libraries.

I remember looking on this forum when the Demos for GOS came out and people were dissapointed. They took Demos off, and put it back on the forum. Well I am sad to say that the Demos still do not cut it for me, and even others compositions using GOS.

Go to Kirk Hunters site and listen to their Demos. It cannot compare!!

Apart from the Demos, the samples in GOS arent as good as what KH or Miroslav Portrays.

I do think GOS is very powerfull tool to use, when it comes to using Midi Controllers.

I wish for a Library that has the Sounds of Kirk Hunter/ Miroslav with the functionality and Maestro Tools that GOS has.

Conclusion:
    GOS does not come close to the others, even though its ahead in technology, its samples dont satisfy my ear. My Roland Orchestral Library sounds better than GOS, and does not come close to KH.

You caint touch this!!!!

Strictly my own Opinion

Raven

[This message has been edited by Raven (edited 01-17-2002).]

I say give GOS to Thomas J and he\'ll show you how GOS can perform. He\'s got an ear to reproduce orchestral music. He\'s good with reverb (tho a bit wet...but I like it), sequencing, and EQ. Not that Damon doesn\'t know what he\'s doing, He\'s proven the contrary many times before.

I personally believe GOS sounds better than Kh on the whole, and that there are better options in GOS than KH.

The short nows especially are a weeek point In KH IMO. The hard attack strings can be simulated with layering Martele patches over sustain patches in GOS.

Remember in the two demos posted there are major differences.

Different Brass, different arrangement, different mixing, more mono in Thomas\' sound All this makes for a different sound, not just the library itself.

Just pointing out that you cannot compare the two demos on the same level. The only way to do that is to have two demos by the same person. Another option would be for Thomas to share his MIDI and audio of everything but the strings, have one of us tailor the string part for GOS, then grab the strings from one of us and remix the track.

Its the same as people sharing MIDI files to compare libraries....stupid in my opinion unless each one gets tailored to the library

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Just pointing out that you cannot compare the two demos on the same level. The only way to do that is to have two demos by the same person. Another option would be for Thomas to share his MIDI and audio of everything but the strings, have one of us tailor the string part for GOS, then grab the strings from one of us and remix the track.

Its the same as people sharing MIDI files to compare libraries....stupid in my opinion unless each one gets tailored to the library

KingIdiot

You made a very valid point. I would like to see Thomas J do the exact ET mockup himself with GOS and then compare!!!!!

This would be great!!!

Anyway I did not mean to affend anyone, to me all the Demos I have heard without (just solo violin) Kirk Hunter still sounds better!

Thomas J could you make a Midi Mockup with GOS to compare both Libraries?

Thanks

Raven

no offense taken here Raven,

Just trying to find some sort of valid comparison between what each library can do if its pushed.

I\'m impressed with everything TJ gets out of his samples. Including AO and Prosonous. He really knows how to tweak and get the right sound. Also Marteen does some amazing work with the older libraries.

like you said its an opinion about the sounds, but I still have yet to really pass my judgement on KH. I know I dont like the short bows, but until I actually use the library I cant really make an assessment.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast