• Register
  • Help

Topic: Falling Walls & Earthquake FX

Share/Bookmark

Falling Walls & Earthquake FX

I have a project due in three weeks that must have sounds of walls and hillsides crashing down -- earthquake sort of thing. The effects need lots of low frequency energy. The presentation hall will be equipped with many subwoofers to \"move\" the audience. I will be using GigaStudio. Any suggestions?

clueless

Re: Falling Walls & Earthquake FX

You could get something like Lucasarts SFX library; they have quite a good range of \'earthy\' effects such as a landslide and avalanche. Problem is it only sells as a package so you\\d be getting some animal and factory sounds as well. They\'re very well recorded though.
    They come as audiocd\'s, so you\'d have to do some sampling and editing to get it into gigastudio.
    For low rumbly stuff, I\'d make some whitenoize, apply a moving random lfo to the amplitude and apply a low pass filter at a near closed setting, and beef up the lowend with some eq (boost at around 50-80 hz). Apply a really steep highpass at around 20hz to remove any really low rumble that you won\'t hear but will f*ck up your speakers.
    If you do this right, you should get a really low bassy drone....

Isn\'t GigaStudio supposed to have a version of Hollywood Edge: Premiere Edition (and others), specifically made for it? There was some announcement some time ago about this, but I am not sure how things have gone since then. Anyway, Hollywood Edge is one of the best libraries out there and there\'s a variety of editions available. They even have one CD just with dinosaur sounds

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Isn\'t GigaStudio supposed to have a version of Hollywood Edge: Premiere Edition (and others), specifically made for it? There was some announcement some time ago about this, but I am not sure how things have gone since then. Anyway, Hollywood Edge is one of the best libraries out there and there\'s a variety of editions available. They even have one CD just with dinosaur sounds <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, there are Premiere Editions 3 and 4, and The Edge collection for GigaStudio.

They are amazing as you say. I was stunned at how much better sounding the effects were across the board than other major libraries.

I just did a search of these three libraries, and there are several landslide-type sounds on Disc PE-35. Some are rumble, some are interior perspective (shaking objects, etc). All sound good. Also, I found some killer explosions on Disc TE-02.

I suspect, though, that synthesis may be the big answer here, unless there is a constant need for SFX. A full effects library is quite an investment.

Another option is buying individual effects via SoundDogs.com. You can listen to lo-fi versions, pick what you want (you spec the file type and resolution), then you\'re billed by the individual effect. Then you get an e-mail sent to you with an FTP address, and you download the sounds you purchased. It\'s really great for getting just a few sounds for a specific production, without the need to invest in a full sound effects/foley library. I own probably 150-160 different sound effects CDs, and I still use SoundDogs to fill in the gaps when I can\'t find exactly what I want. They have literally thousands and thousands of sounds.

The pitching down and filtering of white noise suggested earlier is a good idea. Reaktor 3 is an absolutely killer sound design program, and that would be my first try--load some bass drum rolls and wacky low stuff into the Travellizer (granular synthesis) module, and use the mouse to spew it out to picture.

If there IS a continuing need for SFX, then Hollywood Edge is fabulous. I have done a lot of sound design and have worked extensively with Sound Ideas, etc., on many a production. Hollywood Edge blows away everything I\'ve ever used--their \"loud\" effects are absolutely massive, and their quiet effects are precise and free of extraneous noise. The Giga version gives you a full-bore search engine, and you can find and load any sound out of thousands in seconds. I used a bunch of the underwater sounds on a recent play, and they were spectacularly deep sounding. The first time the full team heard the sound design in tech rehearsal, they were just amazed.

Good advice. The SFX libraries range from expensive to very expensive. I like the idea of purchasing precisely the sounds that I need. Do you happen to know whether the purchase cover multiple uses or only one \"application?\"

clueless

Go Back to forum