• Register
  • Help

Topic: Techniques with GigaStudio...

Share/Bookmark

Techniques with GigaStudio...

Hi,

I have heard about cross-fade, keyswitch, change with mod wheel (that doesn\'t actually do modulation?), and setting the note to 125 ticks before....

Can someone explain me those techniques to use in a sequencer? I use Cakewalk SONAR....

I have some problem with strings too....I composed a song, but the attack seems to be a bit too slow....so when I play the song, it\'s as if the part with 1/16 notes is \"delayed\" , causing a kind of quantization error or a kind of \"blur of sound\" in that part of the song....is there a solution?

Archangel

[This message has been edited by Archangel (edited 02-15-2002).]

Re: Techniques with GigaStudio...

NEVER quantize orchestral sequences.

Thomas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    NEVER quantize orchestral sequences.

Thomas
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you\'re telling me that I should record and play my sequence live using my keyboard?

Archangel

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pantonality:
    I\'ll chime in with the techniques I use. I agree never quantize orchestral sequnces, unless you want that Baroque sewing machine sound. However that doesn\'t mean that you shouldn\'t make an effort to improve the timing of particular events, it\'s just that quantization while easy is a bad way to do it. I use Logic and have with practice become adept at using the event list, you could probably achieve similar results with a matrix editor. Either way is more work than simply quantizing, but it allows you to decide exactly how much to correct the timing and velocity of any particular note.

Steve http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler
    aka Ettienne http://www.mp3.com/ettienne
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay ...thanks for the tip. But how do you use crossfades and keyswitching in the sequencer?? I\'m really confused about those terms....

Archangel

It really depends on the libraries you are using

Crossfades control is when you are manually allowed to fade between different samples in real time. Sometimes from Piano to Forte and back or Non vibrato to expressive vibrato and back which is not controlled by simple LFO modulation. Sometimes you even allowed to fade reverb amount or other cool features. Its really dependant on how the library is programmed.

Keyswtiching is unique to gigastudio (its sort of implimented in halion now I hear). It allows you to strike a key on your controller that is out of hte instruments playable range to change the sample being playued back. Again it depends on how the library is programmed. Some keyswtiches change articulations (piaa...legato...short bow...etc) Or sometimes it can be Dynamic like some Dan Dean Gigs. To allow for better controll with the Expression controller.

Mod wheel changes are again dependant on the library.

You can controll all of the above with a keyboard controllers CC faders if it has any, or you can manually edit them in most any sequencer on the market. How to do it depeends on the sequencer. I\'ve never really used a Cakewalk/sonar Product so I have no clue on how to help you there.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

I quantize my MIDI string notes sometimes.

The delay is due to the slow attack of EVERY string patch, long bow or short bow alike. My solution is to minus the value in the \"time\" column of the track view (around -50 to -100 while 960 ticks/beat) of SONAR or CPA9.03. In this way all the MIDI notes in that track will be played a little bit earlier, thus cancelling the delay problem.

How much ticks earlier to set in the time column depends on the patch you use.

Arys Chien

I\'ll chime in with the techniques I use. I agree never quantize orchestral sequnces, unless you want that Baroque sewing machine sound. However that doesn\'t mean that you shouldn\'t make an effort to improve the timing of particular events, it\'s just that quantization while easy is a bad way to do it. I use Logic and have with practice become adept at using the event list, you could probably achieve similar results with a matrix editor. Either way is more work than simply quantizing, but it allows you to decide exactly how much to correct the timing and velocity of any particular note.

Steve http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler
    aka Ettienne http://www.mp3.com/ettienne

Go Back to forum