• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Brokedown and bought Cakewalks soundstage today

Share/Bookmark

Brokedown and bought Cakewalks soundstage today

SO I\'m working my *** off but couldn\'t get the want of trying this sucker out of my head. Decided to just pick it up. Ten minutes of fiddling and I can see it has a lot of potential. I like this sucker already, so thatnk you Bruce for putting the idea of using it as a recleftion generator in my head.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Re: Brokedown and bought Cakewalks soundstage today

Bruce...

and all who suggested this sucker over the past couple of years..

Thank you!!! Just a few minutes more and I realize this sucker is going to same me so much time! ...and make me waste so much more time !

It really lets me create some fullness to the sounds I have. All the trappings and absorbtion settings are going to be my favorite...then proximity settings. Not to mention using other mic modelers and

I\'d been spending so much time using multiple reverbs to get some of the simple effects I can get just by making my own settings with this thing.

Happy camper so far. Will find its problems in about an hour or so

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Is this the FX3 you\'re talking about?

Yup

Id jsut thought it was pre fader send adjustments at first, but its not.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    Bruce...

and all who suggested this sucker over the past couple of years..

Thank you!!! Just a few minutes more and I realize this sucker is going to same me so much time! ...and make me waste so much more time !

It really lets me create some fullness to the sounds I have. All the trappings and absorbtion settings are going to be my favorite...then proximity settings. Not to mention using other mic modelers and

I\'d been spending so much time using multiple reverbs to get some of the simple effects I can get just by making my own settings with this thing.

Happy camper so far. Will find its problems in about an hour or so
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    King,

I\'m looking forward to hear your comments in a few days, after you have time to dig into it. Maybe even a comparison demo or two?

I wonder if they have plans of different concert halls that one could use to build a virtual copy of them. Also, is there any resource on instrument placing on different types of orchestral settings? That would help quite a bit!

Keep us informed with your new software!

Mr Ark.

Soundstage has been around for a while. The little bit I\'ve played with it is pretty nice.

The reverb decay actualoly isn\'t as bad as I originally thought from demos.

I still ike a little of reverb decay from another reverb on top of Soundstage, however SS lets me to some plaments out of the box.

i\'m probably going to process alot of my samples with this and then use a reverb decay for realtime monitoring. I think it will sound pretty good.

I was able to get goo dplacement of strings and fill out the sound with basic tests on some of the GOS samples.

My main concern is the Basses on this one, jsut cuz I want a bit more distance on those samples.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

I\'m glad to hear you like Soundstage. Does it work only with Cakewalk? I\'ve heard good things about Acoustic Mirror which comes with Sound Forge. Can anyone compare the two?

Steve

King,

Have you used Waves\' TrueVerb with soundstage? If so how did they sound together. I have Acoustic Mirror and just picked up Waves Native Bundle. I am doing some experimenting with S1 and TrueVerb per Bruce\'s suggestions. Pretty cool.

I\'ve been a fan of Acoustic modeler for a few while now.

I still DO NOT think that Sound Stage is a replacement for Acoustic Modeler. You cannot emulate outdoor areas with Acoustic Modeler, nor can you emulate EQ\'s and effects from pre amps/mics/....etc

A combination of sound Stage and AM can be tricky,...but it can be done. AM has a lot of \"color\" which is what I like about it.but...you can\'t \"place\" sounds within it as easy as one would like.....or as realisticly as one would like.

Sound Stage, allows this....BUT it doesn\'t have the realistic qualities in sound that AM has....

Using both would sound like the perfect option...but its not as easy as one would think. Like bruce stated ealier SS is more like reflection modeler, which is why its so good for placement. AM is an acoustic impulse model so you get early reflections in the impulse...

So one way to get around some of the early reflection iussue is to reshape the envelope on the decay of the impulse to fade in fairly quickly after the start of the decay....then to advance the AM impulse by a few milliseconds. This still takes some tweakage to get working...and I haven\'t really gotten something I\'m happy with yet...tho its better than alot of options.

Panto,

Its a standard DX plug in. 79 bucks from The Cakewalk home page...and the FX bundle is 129. I didn\'t find that I needed any of the other stuff tho so I...for one of the first times in a while...didn\'t buy the bundle...I obiviously have too much crap to deal with...

Jubal. I use Waves RVerb now. I had Trueverb, but didn\'t like it much. RVerb is quite nice. I\'ve been spoiled by the quite good Roland Reverbs. The only thing I dont like about the roland\'s is how easily they overload, as well as how easy it is to create an ringing overtone in the low mids.

With anyhow. SS and Rverb togheter, I get a great sound. I use Rverb Subtly to add some warmth and decay to the reverb. It really depends on the project I guess.

Stilll you need to use EQ\'s and such to get the right sound. I\'ve just finished a batch process of the GOS first violins (let it run while I worked....and while I had a combination of things create loop points in GOS samples.....gotta keep you guys happy )

I jsut dopped the gig file into GS. Sounds promising.

It was a combintation of effects. will have to process the rest of the sections as well and test it.

Really excited at the progress with the Basses sound I could possibly get.

Anyhow. I wish I could get these suckers to work in true no latency processing. SS shouldn\'t take too much so i can get pretty good near realtime with it I\'m sure....haven\'t tried tho... So spoiled... need the Sony unit!

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    SO I\'m working my *** off but couldn\'t get the want of trying this sucker out of my head. Decided to just pick it up. Ten minutes of fiddling and I can see it has a lot of potential. I like this sucker already, so thatnk you Bruce for putting the idea of using it as a recleftion generator in my head.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You\'re welcome. It\'s a great plugin, brilliant concept, but highly underrated. People\'s expextations tend to be unrealistic, something akin to buying a word processor and wondering why it doesn\'t make their writing sound like Shakespeare. When one uses it for its true purpose it\'s a lifesaver, and as you\'ve seen, there\'s so much control there you could spend days experimenting with a single placement.

I did a sound design a couple of years ago for a theater production of \"Kiss of the Spider Woman,\" and I was able to make great \"prison\" sounds by constructing a huge room with a very tiny room off in one corner. I placed the sound sources in the huge room, and put the mics in the tiny room, and it perfectly nailed the sound I\'d imagined.

It\'s a great tool for sample-based orchestration, as you\'ve discovered. You can get very disparate sources to sound as if they \"live together.\" I can\'t believe they\'ve dropped the price that much. It\'s a steal.

Go Back to forum