• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best Drums for Pop Rock? (mainly Snare)

Share/Bookmark

Best Drums for Pop Rock? (mainly Snare)

What is a good library for that big crack of a snare drum that you hear in lots of pop rock stuff (ala Blink 182, Vertical Horizon)? I have the Pure Drums which I\'ve been very disappointed with except for the kicks and the Sonic Drums which basically rule for funky groovy stuff but I\'m looking for a harder hitting snare.

Thanks for any replies.

Re: Best Drums for Pop Rock? (mainly Snare)

Real MEGA Drums has some cool snares, but maybe not enough velocities.

Real GIGA Drums has pretty good ones too, but you need to make ure you use mostly over head sound for the big \"phraaaaap!\" on the snare. The close mics give you the initial hit but not enough overall sound and the rooms, while cool, aren\'t supposed to be turned up too loud. Jsut more of an \"ambience adder\"

DK From hell has a great sounding snare in the demos, but definitely not for pop rock. Metal? yes.

Check out the new Joey Kramer CD as well, its all beats, but you may be able to snage single hits hear and there.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Thanks for the info! Has anyone done Giga mappings for the Drumkit from Hell??

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by studioJ:
    Thanks for the info! Has anyone done Giga mappings for the Drumkit from Hell?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did it today, but it sucks now. I\'m kinda amateur in editing. It still needs a lot of work. I\'m interested about articulation files also, because there are much better GS editors out there

Did you have to actually edit the audio?? Or was it just a key mapping/velocity issue?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by studioJ:
    Did you have to actually edit the audio?? Or was it just a key mapping/velocity issue?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I meant key mapping and stuff I hate GSEdit(ing). Audio quality is excellent, no need of editing Expect sounds are maybe little too quiet. Should work something out...

i recently used the ludwig & yamaha kits from perfectionear\'s \"drum hits & ambience\" CD rom ..... with nicer hihats from \"peter erskine\", and the usual pro-tools eg/gate/compressor plugs (and very nice ssl stereo bus compressor emulation from channelstrip!) ... i finally got that full, beefy pop/rock drumkit sound i\'ve trying to get for ever ..... check these drums sounds out ..... you still need to work with them, but they\'ll deliver the goods, and the room ambience makes all the difference in the mix!! http://www.perfectionear.com/

ciao .... gio ......

I\'d recommend Perfectionear too. Bought the CD-Rom on-line too!

http://www.perfectionear.com/

How did you convert to Giga format??

i just used \"translator-Giga Edition\" to convert the S5000 CD rom to giga .... i guess you could just buy the S3000 cd and use s-converter from within gigastudio ... i used the channel offset to get seperate outputs from within one instrument/one midi channel (so i could jam with the whole kit under the fingers, or pads) ....using 10 outs for the kit .. 1&2 for kick & snare, then 3/4 for stereo toms, 5/6 for stereo crashes/splashes, ride on 7, hats on 8, and stereo ambience on 9/10 (here you have the choice of medium, large & comressed ambience).... if you had a drum mapping facility(as in cubase), the better way would be to put all the different elements on different channels, making it easier to try different kicks, ot toms or whatever ... tweak each individual track to taste, buss it all to a stereo pair of tracks, compress and eq that, and youve got a big, real kit sound !!
    have fun ..... gio

Go Back to forum