• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga drum loops

Share/Bookmark

Giga drum loops

OK, i gotta ask this question about drum programming.

I have been using Giga on PC (obviously) and Cubase 5.1 on a Mac for about 13 months. I have learned alot on this and other forums so thanks for all the help throughout the year. However...

I would like to know how \"you\" do your drum programming.

Do you mostly use audio files or midi?
    I like audio and try to stay in that domain most of the time but here is the question.

If you buy a sample cd (like NYC Drumworks) and it is set up for Giga, how do you use it? Sure it is looped, you hold down a key and the loop plays, but how do you get that into Cubase? I know you can record it into cubase but wouldn\'t it be more efficient to have the file in REX2 format instead of Giga.

I have a Peter erskine disk as well and it is in audio format. What I have been doing is going in and REXing the loops and separating the kick out and saving then as individual loops. If this Cd was in giga format how would that be a plus?
    I would have no way to use it in a song in cubase and have it be accurate?

Confused, and sure there must be an eaiser way

Giga...

Re: Giga drum loops

Giga,
    Hi. I use one-shots from those same CDs instead of loops. I place them in a Giga Instrument and then drive them using MIDI.

I could do the same thing with audio in Pro Tools, but GSt gives me at a minimum control over volume. I don\'t use velocity mapping on my simplistic stuff. I haven\'t felt the need for it as most of my MIDI velocities stay between about 50 and 90.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Mark

If you want the best of both worlds there are several (expensive) drum libraries that contain multitracked drum loops with separate kick-snare-HH-overhead etc tracks wich you can mix and match with single hits.
    I am presently testing out two 24-bit libraries:
    http://www.multiloops.com/ http://www.discretedrums.com/

[This message has been edited by Erik Nygaard (edited 03-12-2002).]

My \'trick\' is to use the loop length of the part as the basis for a MIDI repeating nite which triggers the loop. If it\'s two bars long, I\'l make the trigger event be two bars, minus a small amount for \'recovery\' so it doesn\'t double-trigger. Then repeat that event every 2 bars as long as it\'s that part. This keeps the small irregularities of tempo from creeping too far in the track.

If the drums are separately tracked, like in Discrete, you can slide the tracks a few ticks one way or the other to change the feel.

Dasher

My \'trick\' is to use the loop length of the part as the basis for a MIDI repeating nite which triggers the loop. If it\'s two bars long, I\'l make the trigger event be two bars, minus a small amount for \'recovery\' so it doesn\'t double-trigger. Then repeat that event every 2 bars as long as it\'s that part. This keeps the small irregularities of tempo from creeping too far into the track.

If the drums are separately tracked, like in Discrete, you can slide the tracks a few ticks one way or the other to change the feel.

Dasher

So... I guess i wasn\'t nuts after all! It is much better to have the drum loops in rex format on my mac that in Gigastudio.

Gigastudio is probably great for playing or triggering samples of drum HITS but if you buy a loop CD Gigastudio is the last place you want to have the loop.

I want to stay in the audio domain all i can just use the drum hits to fill in for the parts that loops just won\'t work for

Makes feel better about not buying these loop cds in giga format.

thanks for the responses

Giga...

Go Back to forum