• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Taiko Drums Sample Library?

Share/Bookmark

Taiko Drums Sample Library?

Taiko Drums Sample Library? Is there one out there? Giga or other? Don\'t say Rare Instruments: I want something more focused like there would be for drums. If there is not one, you lib guys, this may be an obvious hole to fill when you consider how much Taiko in various forms is used in film etc. It goes very well with orchestra. So, is there a lib out there for Taiko? Middle eastern percussion can also be similar, as well as Native American.

Then later I would like to find that Middle Eastern clarinet Zimmer uses so much of. Bet he has that sucker sampled...

Re: Taiko Drums Sample Library?

By more focused, you mean what? There are over 200 taiko samples on R.I.
    16 patches with 8- 16 way velocity switching. Theres even an ensemble patch. Granted, you have to buy the whole library to get them.

I\'d have to agree with Nick. If you don\'t mind buying the entire library, the ones you get on Rare are very, very nice (definitely a highlight).

I own it and certainly don\'t see myself needing any other taiko patches, that\'s for sure. I think SoundsOnline is selling it for around $350 at the moment.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    Taiko Drums Sample Library? Is there one out there? Giga or other? Don\'t say Rare Instruments: I want something more focused like there would be for drums. If there is not one, you lib guys, this may be an obvious hole to fill when you consider how much Taiko in various forms is used in film etc. It goes very well with orchestra. So, is there a lib out there for Taiko? Middle eastern percussion can also be similar, as well as Native American.

Then later I would like to find that Middle Eastern clarinet Zimmer uses so much of. Bet he has that sucker sampled...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, Rare contains some excellent Taiko sounds. It also contains \'that Middle Eastern clarinet\' you mentioned; the Duduk.
    Very playable too!

Cheerio,

Joe

Focused, as in a specialty lib with its focus on taiko and perhaps other Japanese instruments alone. It did not seem there was much in the way of Taiko on RI from listening to the demo. Also it would be nice if the mythic lib I mentioned also had loops to go with instruments. Guess I will have to consider RI again. I will look for that sale.

\"Indeed, Rare contains some excellent Taiko sounds. It also contains \'that Middle Eastern clarinet\' you mentioned; the Duduk.\"

Yeah, thats the one. Again, I heard something similar if low on the RI demo, but I could not be sure. Is there a listing somewhere of the RI lib? Hmmmm?

There are tons of duduk samples on R.I., but it will never cover all the sounds you can get out of a real Duduk. EQ helps for variety.

RIs Taikos are excellent, but the Dukuk is simply marvelous.

Get that Duduk dripping with reverb over some Taikos and the library is probably worth the entry price for that alone.

You might not need the best Scottish bagpipes in a sample library or an astounding Low Irish flute or Irish pipes (can\'t spel Ulleia...ullia.. er) that would put a pub full of paddies out of business, but you get them as well; and some other things I haven\'t even used yet.

For me, RI sets the standard for non-piano libraries. I still can\'t believe those Irish pipes; how the hell did you do that Mr. Pheonix?

This doesn\'t really answer your question I suppose, but if you have $350, you won\'t get a higher quality library than this. No matter how \'focused\' a complete Taiko library might be.

In fact, I might be mistaken but I think I remember Bruce saying in an article that you could use those Taikos to worm your dog: high praise indeed:-)

Z6,
    Thanks alot for the R.I. comments. I\'ve got some good ideas smoldering for part 2, I think. By the way, I forgot to include samples of the sticks hitting the sides of the taiko drums in R.I. Maybe I will make a little patch and post it as freeware.

OK OK! Geez. I\'m convinced already!

Thanks for the responses!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    OK OK! Geez. I\'m convinced already!

Thanks for the responses!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see you already got the scoop from the other guys, but I\'ll add one more recommendation for Rare Instruments. It is a very nice quality library throughout, excellent documentation, excellent recording quality, and thousands of samples.

Very playable, and very well-thought out instrument designs are another nice aspect of the library. For instance, there\'s a tabla that assigns the different finger strokes to a sequence of keys, so that the proper sample for each finger is triggered. That allows you to program very realistic finger rolls, and makes the syllables speak out genuinely. I have also mapped this tabla to a hand-percussion controller, and it is fun to play live.

There are so many Taiko variations, you\'d surely find what you need. By combining them in sequences, you can get a monstrous-sounding ensemble. Some of them have such great low frequency response, I\'ve used them for orchestral bass drums.

There are also a couple of nice, multisampled gongs, and the various string, reed, and flute instruments already mentioned. Everything is well sampled and highly usable in a soundtrack-oriented studio.

It is my favorite of all Nick\'s libraries I have used to date. The sounds in it will inspire you to write things around them, which is something quite valuable to a working composer. Sometimes, I feel like I just don\'t have any more ideas left (even though there are deadlines approaching, and everything I\'m doing sounds horrible). When a sampled sound can spark my imagination and get the juices flowing again, that is a valuable commodity.

Go Back to forum