• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: SUBLIME DELTA – Mind-Altering Music? (Sosnowski)

Share/Bookmark

Arrow SUBLIME DELTA – Mind-Altering Music? (Sosnowski)

Sublime Delta
    Stochastic Fantasia No. 2
    David J. Sosnowski

Ensemble:
    Garritan Steinway, JABB vibes & percussion

To Listen:

www.DavidSosnowski.com

As with Kuiper’s Trousers, this piece likewise has its roots
    in algorithmic stochastic minimalism.

However, the formulae are driven by certain frequencies
    specific to human brain states (notably delta rhythms, hence
    the title). Post-processing in the audio also imparts further
    subtle emphasis on both the 4 Hz delta rhythm, as well as
    other longer key wave forms. Simultaneous alpha rhythms
    in the formulaic material provide a counter-stimulus.

Although the underlying techniques are too complex to fully
    explore, here – it would take many pages – the “science”
    (and I use that term very, very advisedly) behind it posits
    that it’s possible to manipulate the brain by entrainment with
    the use of these techniques, thereby influencing the mental
    state of the listener. Headphones should be used for best
    effect.

Does it work? Beats me. Give it a try, and let me know!

Yours in mad science,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Cool Re: SUBLIME DELTA – Mind-Altering Music? (Sosnowski)

Hi David,

This is a very interesting subject!

After having listened to your piece I immediately went to my archive to digg up an article about the subject:

"Integrating effect on the brain functions of humans: the electrical potentials of the activity of the brain before and during the listening of Gandharva Veda music were analyzed by a computer, for frequencies as Delta-, Theta-, Alpha- and Beta-waves.
    While listening to Gandharva Veda music, a clear increase of the electrical potentials within the Theta-wave-range (frequencies 4-8) can be observed".

Please listen to what David Lynch from Washington has to say about consciousness, including John Hagelin, Ph.D., a world-renowned quantum physicist talking about the coherent formation of amplitudes.

I will write a rewiew on the subject for you later!

Fred

Re: SUBLIME DELTA – Mind-Altering Music? (Sosnowski)

I don’t know – Kuiper’s Trousers was kind of fun, but this is the stuff of nightmares. Very unsettling.

During its best moments it sounded like when they explore the mind of a homicidal maniac in a thriller or hard core detective movie.

I’m always pleased when I see a new Sosnowski piece up, but I have to admit that this is probably the only one I will never to again – once was enough.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post

Does it work? Beats me. Give it a try, and let me know!
    It works !!!! I'm confused !!! What was it supposed to conjure up in the brain ? I'm afraid even with my trusted dictionary at my finger tips, I somehow got lost in your introduction.....

In all seriousness, it does have an effect, I'm simply not sure what exactly it is.

Thanks for not only letting us into your brain, but also for trying to affect ours.....
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

I use a CD called the Delta Sleep System (info at: http://www.toolsforwellness.com/tb801cd.html ) which is based on the principles you mention, Dave, (entrainment of the waves in the brain to a certain frequency by use of music). It does indeed seem to help me sleep and stay asleep. This kind of research has created a new field called psychoacoustics ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics) (which you probably already know, Dave, but some may not have heard of it, as I had not until fairly recently).

So, it's looking pretty scientific to me -- a couple of courses from Michigan State (and I note one is a physics course):

http://www.pa.msu.edu/acoustics/

Physics 405: SIGNALS, SOUND, AND SENSATION
    Spring Semester

Text: Signals, Sound, and Sensation by W.M. Hartmann, AIP Press
    (Springer-Verlag), 1997.

Demos HRW = Houtsma, Rossing, Wagenaars,
    "Auditory Demos on Compact Disc."

ISP 215: THE SCIENCE OF SOUND

Course Pack: ISP 215 -
    PRINCIPLES OF MUSICAL ACOUSTICS -
    by W.M. Hartmann
    at Student Bookstore on Grand River

See also: www.pa.msu.edu/acoustics

And this is interesting: http://web-us.com/thescience.htm I scanned it, and it describes the mechanism of brain-wave entrainment in very detailed terms.

The different frequencies of the brain in different states have been identified by EEG; I had a sleep study done once, which was what got me interested in this topic. The four brain states (there may be more, but these are the common ones as far as I know) have distinct frequency ranges. The states are: beta (high waking), alpha (meditative waking state), theta (dream state) and delta (deep sleep). There is also a strange phenomenon, known to neuroscientists, called "intrusions" whereby one state intrudes upon or co-exists with another. For example, I was told after my sleep study, that I had alpha "intrusions" during sleep approximately eighteen times an hour I think it was-- in other words, my brain was "waking up" into a meditative state (alpha). There is also "theta intrusion" whereby during high waking (our normal conscious waking state), the dream state intrudes or simply co-exists with high waking at the same time. I have experienced this many times, and it is a very strange feeling. The conscious mind functions perfectly fine, but another part of the mind is dreaming and one can switch one's attention from one to the other as desired, or perceive both at the same time. And like in regular dreaming, you can't quite "catch" any image or event or thought in the dreaming part of the mind -- they go by too fast, though they feel as compelling as waking perceptions.

I share all these things, I guess, simply because they are fascinating to me, and might also be to others. I have no doubt that music, especially music designed for that purpose, can alter mind-states. Traditional cultures have known this for a long time, but only recently is science beginning to plumb the depths of why this is, from a neuroscience standpoint.

Now, I go to listen!

Thanks, Dave!
    Karen

Hi David,

This has been my first real exposure to stochacism, which has been quite fascinating. Delta was admittedly a bit more disturbing than Trousers, although I find the notion of actually altering the mind just from listening a bit questionable as hot dog underwear absorbs tree branch juice just this past Tuesday. The kidney stones portray bleak prospects in regard to black silk jackets, although not so every second, nor can I please Momma. Uniform attacks on bee colonies with nuclear reactor coffee aside, nonetheless it does, then proceeds into Alaskan fairy tales. Upon crossing Liza Minelli, the nose implant nonethless can screech with pleasure during the Mesozoic. Yes.

Danny

P.S. The bridge really swung.

Hiya Dave,

Well, I listened twice, with earphones as you suggested. It occurred to me that it is not that easy to listen to a piece that induces alpha and delta waves, while attemtping to be conscious enough to describe what is happening (which is a distinctly beta-wave function, I think). So, here's my best shot at doing so:

I listened suspending the analytical faculty as best I could -- ie not thinking about instrumentation or algorithms or pitch or composition, just hearing the sounds, and relaxing into them.

I found myself feeling some of the "dreamlike" quality of the theta state (which is in between alpha and delta, the states you note the piece alternates between, or includes aspects of both). So I suppose it makes sense to me that theta might come up as a transition from one to the other. That sense of something feeling very compelling, and yet ungraspable was there for me. I also felt a bit sleepy, but I was a little tired anyway when I started listening, so that may be just an artifact...

It is interesting that for one person (my apologies, i don't have the post in front of me, and my short-term memory for names is sketchy!), this piece was quite unpleasant. That made me recall that the delta sleep state is actually the one in which nightmares occur (unlike regular dreams, even bad ones, which occurr in theta). Perhaps this piece, targeting delta, was especially effective in that case, and just happened to induce a nightmarish experience? Just a thought.

I'd be curious to hear more of the mechanics of creating this piece, although, not being very adept at mathematics, I may not understand them. For instance, is alpha intertwined with delta throughout? Other questions will probably come up, but right now, I have to get back to "beta" and take care of some waking-state business LOL!

Fascinating, and for me, relaxing.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by DDW View Post
    Hi David,

This has been my first real exposure to stochacism, which has been quite fascinating. Delta was admittedly a bit more disturbing than Trousers, although I find the notion of actually altering the mind just from listening a bit questionable as hot dog underwear absorbs tree branch juice just this past Tuesday. The kidney stones portray bleak prospects in regard to black silk jackets, although not so every second, nor can I please Momma. Uniform attacks on bee colonies with nuclear reactor coffee aside, nonetheless it does, then proceeds into Alaskan fairy tales. Upon crossing Liza Minelli, the nose implant nonethless can screech with pleasure during the Mesozoic. Yes.

Danny

P.S. The bridge really swung.
    Danny, was that post from some kind of postmodern text generator or something? Had a dream-like quality for me the semantics of which seem analogous to the dream-like state induced by this music! LOL!

David:

Thank you for an introduction to ASM.......Not a
    particularly favorite of mine, but I can see the
    scientific application applied here.

I'm working on a new composition, BUT after listening
    to "sublime delta" I lost most of what I was thinking
    about for the last two days........thanks........lol

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi Fred,

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
    Hi David,

This is a very interesting subject!

After having listened to your piece I immediately went to my archive to digg up an article about the subject:

"Integrating effect on the brain functions of humans: the electrical potentials of the activity of the brain before and during the listening of Gandharva Veda music were analyzed by a computer, for frequencies as Delta-, Theta-, Alpha- and Beta-waves.
    While listening to Gandharva Veda music, a clear increase of the electrical potentials within the Theta-wave-range (frequencies 4-8) can be observed".
    An interesting citation, Fred, thanks! There's been a good
    deal of investigation in this general area. And it's not only
    Vedic music that induces changes in brainwave activity --
    it's just about all music... one way or another.

Please listen to what David Lynch from Washington has to say about consciousness, including John Hagelin, Ph.D., a world-renowned quantum physicist talking about the coherent formation of amplitudes.

I will write a rewiew on the subject for you later!

Fred
    By all means! I'm sure a summary of it would be of interest!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast