• Register
  • Help

Topic: New 14.8 Gigabyte Steinway D !!!!

Share/Bookmark

New 14.8 Gigabyte Steinway D !!!!

Ok now that I have your attention: What is the best method to make a sound seem to come from behind you using a two speaker setup. I\'ve read several articles on this and it seems to cook down to phasing/filtering/delays.

But have any of you actually sat down to try this on your own? If so please explain what you did so I can try to acheive this affect. I\'ll admit I haven\'t toyed with it much but you might just save me some time in trying to acheive this affect.

This is easier to do with headphones becuase the sound appears to be coming from inside your head vs in front of you with typicall stereo speaker setup. My goal is to do it with the stereo set up.

Re: New 14.8 Gigabyte Steinway D !!!!

I\'d rather have that 14.8Gb Grand!

[This message has been edited by JoE (edited 03-23-2002).]

Several years ago I went to a demo of the RSS system by Roland when it came out. Most of us thought it was pretty unsuccessful, as the \'sweet spot\' for noticing the effect was _extremely_ small. Since then they\'ve greatly improved on it.

From what I understand, the procedure for achieving 3d positioning with two speakers is quite complex, involving finely calibrated frequency specific delays which serve to trick the brain. I don\'t think it\'s something you could duplicate with a standard project studio digital delay setup.

Also, with the increasing acceptance of 5.1, my guess is most people will simply go for a multi speaker setup when trying to get back to front movement of sound.

On the other hand, maybe I\'m wrong and some propellerhead has released a plugin that does it

1) Apply short delays and eq to binaural samples.
    2) turn your chair 180

Hi Esteven,

The best method to make a sound seem to come from behind you using a two speaker setup can be fairly complicated, but I\'ve perfected this technique after several months of trying and will outline it for you in as much detail as possible...I\'m sure the results will blow your mind.
    Ok...now that I have your attention, does anybody know the best method to record a Rubbermaid garbage can so it sounds like a timpani drum? I\'ve read several articles on this and it seems to cook down to phasing, filtering, and delays.

Regards,
    Scott

[QUOTE]Originally posted by esteven1:
    [B]Ok now that I have your attention: What is the best method to make a sound seem to come from behind you using a two speaker setup. I\'ve read several articles on this and it seems to cook down to phasing/filtering/delays.

Go Back to forum