• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question about Wind Controllers - Bruce?

Share/Bookmark

Question about Wind Controllers - Bruce?

Hello,

I\'ve been reading with great interest all the recent discussions about wind controllers, and the insightful suggestions of Bruce Richardson on this subject.

It is clear to me that a wind controller seems to be the most logical source for non percusive musical instrument MIDI data (strings, and wind instruments of course).
    I have a question though: When you use a wind controller to perform string parts with long legatos, how do things work out? I mean, you have to breath every once in a while, right?
    Since string instrument players can breath at leisure while playing long legatos (Damn them ), how does this work out when using a wind controller?

Probably a stupid question, if so I hope you at least can find it mildly amusing.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Question about Wind Controllers - Bruce?

Well, when you have to breathe, you could always go back and manually enter the data by hand.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lance_M:
    Well, when you have to breathe, you could always go back and manually enter the data by hand.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Lance,

Yes, I guess you always can do that, but if it can be avoided...

I was more curious as to wether long legato string lines pose a problem when using a wind controller, and to know how people deal with this (Is there something like a sustain control on the WX5, for example?), or is there a way to modify the velocity of the midi signal so as to make this type of playing more feasable without breakups (Something like a control to make it possible to play at the same volume with less breath applied to the wind controller)?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by MrArkadine (edited 03-29-2002).]

There is no sustain control on the WX5. If eg a duduk player plays a drone, he fills his cheeks with air und use this while filling his lungs. But I guess its easyer to write less boring string lines...

fmfgs

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lance_M:
    Well, when you have to breathe, you could always go back and manually enter the data by hand.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That\'s what I do.

A good rule of thumb, though, is that any phrase that lasts longer than a breath may be suspect. Music breathes a lot like people, and even if a drone-like quality is desired it\'s sometimes great to break it up with devices like klangfarbenmelodie.

B.

And using a wind controller, you should be able to add a sustain pedal function fairly easily via the module and a MIDI merger. (Try to avoid it on those Kenny G lines, tho! )

Dasher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    That\'s what I do.

A good rule of thumb, though, is that any phrase that lasts longer than a breath may be suspect. Music breathes a lot like people, and even if a drone-like quality is desired it\'s sometimes great to break it up with devices like klangfarbenmelodie.

B.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Bruce,

I get your point about music breathing like people, and it makes a lot of sense. On other topics today, why did you have to talk about the WX-5 to a broke guy like me? D\'OH!
    The concept of using a wind controller to perform string and wind instruments \"clicked\" (If you pardon the pun ) from the beginning though.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    And using a wind controller, you should be able to add a sustain pedal function fairly easily via the module and a MIDI merger. (Try to avoid it on those Kenny G lines, tho! )

Dasher
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hey Dasher,

You\'re right on that one. This all seems pretty foreign to me, and I hadn\'t thought of that.

BTW, you mentioned a record that you and the buddy from your gig had done. Can you elaborate on where to listen to or get it?

Take care

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrArkadine:
    Originally posted by thesoundsmith:

Dasher
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hey Dasher,

You\'re right on that one. This all seems pretty foreign to me, and I hadn\'t thought of that.

BTW, you mentioned a record that you and the buddy from your gig had done. Can you elaborate on where to listen to or get it?

Take care
    I use this trick all the time. Sometimes I even use an \"out of range\" note on the WX5, and play the line in from my Fatar controller. Another great wind controller trick is to play just a single note, getting the expression and rhythm correct, then go back and move the pitches to their desired place. I am a trumpet player, and my sax/flute chops are only so good, so when a line gets too fast for me, I use this trick.

In case someone asks why I didn\'t go for the trumpet-like Steiner controller, that\'s really not all that much like playing a trumpet either, so I figured the WX5 would give me what I needed PLUS expand my horizons a bit. I get around on acoustic flute a lot better now that I\'ve put in time on the WX5!!

Best regards,
    Bruce

[quote]
    [\\quote]

The CD can be heard at my web site, www.thesoundsmith.com and through the site, you can link to CD Street.com to purchase.

Or, if you\'re in the Monterey area, c\'mon down to the gig at the Monterey Beach Resort Hotel Thur-Fri-Sat from 6:30-10:30 (PM!)

The CD is all cover tunes, no originals, and frankly is shamelessly geared toward our customers\' favorite requests. R&B, jazz, a bit of pseudo-classical (Ferrante and Dasher!) on piano, Hammond B3 and synths, with drums and vocals by my partner, Dino Vera. There are snippets from the CD on the web site (ignore the other material, it\'s mostly from ten years ago and is due to be removed/updated-I thought I was going to update those sequences, but it didn\'t happen...)

Thanks for the interest.

Dasher

[This message has been edited by thesoundsmith (edited 04-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by thesoundsmith (edited 04-02-2002).]

Go Back to forum