• Register
  • Help

Topic: CPU is going crazy!!!!!!!!!

Share/Bookmark

CPU is going crazy!!!!!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigd in the hardware forum (June 2001 - with no replies)

Sorry this is not related to sound libraries although this didn\'t get a reply

bigd said:

brand new abit blz motherboard with p4 1.6 cpu,,,win98sec.,,,,my cpu meter in giga160 is going crazy,,,just sitting still it says its using 37% resources,,,my old system would say 7 or 8%,,,,,also my brand new p4 just shut
    down,,,,and the cpu temp has been 134,,,is that high?,,,what would cause
    that?,,,my cpu fan is running,,,and its a brand new abit bl7 motherboard
    with a p4 1.6 cpu,,,thanks for any help
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have just upgraded today to an AMD XP1800+ processor with 512MB DDR and my CPU is going crazy .... use to be stable at 7% when I used a PIII 500 but now with no patches loaded, the CPU is unstable but sits around 32/33% and goes up to 100% when I move the mouse leading to system crashes.

I have been trying to sort this out for hours (it is now 2.26am in London and I can\'t take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Hope someone can help!!!!

PLEASE!! ?

[This message has been edited by Mark UK (edited 03-29-2002).]

Re: CPU is going crazy!!!!!!!!!

Mark,
    Do you happen to have any USB operating on this machine? A USB mouse maybe? Could possibly be a CPU cycle problem source. (Don\'t know about GigaSamper, but we\'ve seen lots of USB problems with Pro Tools.)

Other than that, it could be a configuraiton problem. Maybe post back your boards and what interrupts they\'re using.

Good luck,
    Mark

Hi Mark

I recently spoke to a chap who had upgraded to a dual Athlon 1800 system using XP. He also experienced a similar problem. XP appears to scale up or down its CPU usage based upon what is available at the time. Running 2000 pro on the same system did not exhibit the same problem.

Good luck!

Steve

[This message has been edited by sjduck (edited 03-30-2002).]

Many thanks for the replies.

I am not running any USBs so am hoping that an upgrade to Win 2000 might help.

I will let you know how I get on.

Mark

My little CPU meter is vascillating between 20% and 21% at idle. Seems like a bug to me. The cool thing is that I can load up DDSWW NV Clar, Bass Clar Tromb and DDGB Stereo Acoustic Bass and be at approximately 8% with 1.5GB of ram in my new pc.

Has anyone noticed intermittent random notes playing when keys are held down? If so, what is this? Often times, the notes Giga selects are quite incongrous with what I had intended, and do not fit the chord structure of my composition. I guess I need to turn the \"let Giga improvise\" function off in the prefs.

Thanks,
    Dan Dean

P.S. The DDBE are very close at hand...

[This message has been edited by dandean (edited 03-30-2002).]

This is a know issue for high end CPUs. It is a display error only; you’re system is not really under that much load.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dandean:
    My little CPU meter is vascillating between 20% and 21% at idle. Seems like a bug to me. The cool thing is that I can load up DDSWW NV Clar, Bass Clar Tromb and DDGB Stereo Acoustic Bass and be at approximately 8% with 1.5GB of ram in my new pc.

Has anyone noticed intermittent random notes playing when keys are held down? If so, what is this? Often times, the notes Giga selects are quite incongrous with what I had intended, and do not fit the chord structure of my composition. I guess I need to turn the \"let Giga improvise\" function off in the prefs.

Thanks,
    Dan Dean

P.S. The DDBE are very close at hand...

[This message has been edited by dandean (edited 03-30-2002).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Dan

Many thanks for your note.

I have spent absolutely hours and hours over the weekend installing, uninstalling windows 98 and all the drivers and things are pretty much the same.

My CPU is also sitting at 20-21% idle now.

Any suggestions about how to bring this down? On my old P3, 500 Mhz it sat around 7%. Is this usual for AMD?

Thanks Bill! That was exactly what I hoped to hear. So nothing wrong - phew!

This may not be the right place to post this, but I thought since it\'s a \"GS\" problem thread I would go for it.
    Has anyone noticed if you have Gigapiano loaded up and pound on B4 or B-flat4 (i think that\'s the right one...I have a 61 key controller, so I\'m not for certain.) you get a very strange feedback loop?

Go Back to forum