• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Virus Software Recommendations?

Share/Bookmark

Virus Software Recommendations?

Just got a new dual core and will be doing music, video, and internet with it. Any recommendations for virus software that doesn't conflict with Sonar, GVI, Spectrasonics stuff, etc?
    Dave M.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations?

McAfee and Sonar groove pretty well. No issues yet, and I've been running the two side by side for several years now.

OK Mcafee it is. Thanks
    Dave M.

You should really look into "ClamWin" which is free virus software with free download upgrades. We have been using it at our school for quite some time now successfully. I use it in my on line PC. Just Google "ClamWin".
    I have since deleted Norton's from my system with no regret. Just thought I you might be interested.
    Styxx

Definitely stay away from Norton products. They have become bloated and have high CPU usage as well as causing much longer boot and shutdown times. McAfee to me isn't much better - too many hooks in the system.

Jim

All that resident softs (antivirus, firewall, antispam, drive & memory manager, auto-save programs...) are definitively not recommanded for a full-performance/stability music dedicated PC. This combination will never be tested by music editors that consider you don't need them for DAWs !
    You've got a single PC... no worry ! You can have two PC for a little above the price of one. How to achieve this ?
    Place an e-SATA connector at the rear of your computer and insert your hard drive(s) in some external e-SATA rack ; you've just to get another external rack where you will mount another drive for reserved music purposes.
    So, before switching on your PC, you plug in the right rack. No need to install all those antivirus softwares on your music disk that will never be connected to internet.
    That's the best solution I founded for us, at the lower cost and that's top when you don't have space for few towers.
    Cheers,
    Phil.

I've used most of them, to me the best is ESET NOD32.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Just an update here.......

I'm a bit of a computer geek and have tried almost everything out there for Antivirus but recently I retried the free AVG and it's worked better than anything! For me, anyway.

I've purchased Kaspersky, Norton (a joke) and ESET.
    ESET is probably the best for hard core surfers.....

Ummmm. I didn't mean what you think I mean there.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Quote Originally Posted by Chalfant View Post
    Just an update here.......

I'm a bit of a computer geek and have tried almost everything out there for Antivirus but recently I retried the free AVG and it's worked better than anything! For me, anyway.
    It uses very little resources. I have it running while using Gigastudio and it's doesn't interfere.

I ve used AVG free for some years but they are discontinuing it on 25th June

Go Back to forum