• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best piano for singing?

Share/Bookmark

Best piano for singing?

I know this seems like a impossible subject to address, since there are so many songs and singers, but in the search for a good piano sample, I seem to have forgotten that while I do want a piano for solo work, I also want something that can sound natural and strong beneath and with a singer. In other words, just piano and voice.

What sampled piano would be good for Carole King, if it was only her and the piano. (She could still start a small riot if left alone onstage with a piano. Can\'t say she made the best choices on her new album.) What piano with just it and for that matter Julie London? Ella Fitgerald? Jonie Mitchell? (Remember the piano sound on Blue?)

Don\'t misunderstand me. I love the new Post piano and the raw sound of the new Bos. At the same time, though, I have trouble imagining them with a singer.

A bright Yamaha is usually assumed to best for popular music, but even is this is true (Not true on Blue, are the bright piano samples out there good if you want to sit down and sing and play? Anyone have some recordings of the pianos with a voice on top?

Re: Best piano for singing?

Jake, at the risk of sounding flippant, and/or arousing the wrath of both the \"what\'s the best piano\" debaters and the piano developers, here\'s one take (as no one else has addressed this to date...)

This is truly a combination of: a) personal taste, b) the sound system/recording studio in question, and c) your tone controls/parametric EQ

FIrst, what piano do YOU think sounds most like the piano you like to play? What gives YOU the best edge in terms of tonality, natural dynamics, emotive quality, etc.

Second- where are you using it? In a studio, you can do a LOT with post-processing assuming you have a decent piano to start with (and NONE of the Gigapianos I\'ve heard so far sound anything less than great. The ferocious arguments about piano libraries are over things that are ridiculously subtle in comparison to going to any B-level or below venue in the world and having to play the supplied \'instrument.\')

Third-Live - With a decent PA and some EQ, you can sculpt the sound of your favorite GPiano to fit almost anything you like. The difference between what you want and what you will be able to get should be sufficiently small that the audience will not only fail to hear the difference, but they will not feel the difference, which is even more important.

Good luck - There are a couple of Yamaha libs out there, if that\'s what you prefer (I have to admit, that\'s my preference.)

Dasher

I\'m gonna catch flack for this but do I care ?

I\'m gonna vouch for the gigapiano becuase I own the BIG 3 (giga steinway b and bos). Is giga the best ? not quite. For a singer though, this one works quite well becuase of the distinctive ring it gives off. in the mid register, my my taste it compliments the singer BIGtime. The Stienway B is still my favorite.

Originally posted by esteven1:
    I\'m gonna catch flack for this but do I care ?

I\'m gonna vouch for the gigapiano becuase I own the BIG 3 (giga steinway b and bos). Is giga the best ? not quite. For a singer though, this one works quite well becuase of the distinctive ring it gives off. in the mid register, my my taste it compliments the singer BIGtime. The Stienway B is still my favorite.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi esteven1,

Of the BIG 3 sampled pianos that you own, is it the East/West Bosendorfer or the Bardstown Audio Bosendorfer?

Kip

My vote goes to the Gigapiano. I\'ve done a few recordings of some classical art songs I\'ve written in my studio with the singers and Gigapiano, and they sound fabulous. (despite my horrible audio engineering skills) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I would LOVE to give you some samples, but I\'ve lost the data in a hard drive issue, and the only backups I have are off-site. (Thank God for backups, though.)

Hi Jake,

First, isn\'t wonderful to choose between all these beautiful sounds? BTW, I am a professional pianist/producer and listen to lots of pianos. Personally, I really love the sound of Bardstown Audio\'s Bosendorfer. I will be recording some new material with that piano soon. I will post it on my site and share the web address when it\'s ready.

Good Luck with your music,
    Garius Hill
    Musecycle Media
    Manhattan

My vote would be for Kip\'s Bosey. I did the update for it so I got to work with it quite a bit. We made several other patches for it that add quite a bit to the instrument.

The raw piano samples themselves are more \"natural\" and clear than any other piano I\'ve heard. This was due to the recording process which used very, very, good gear.

Donnie

Kip,

It wasn\'t your BOS it was the east west bosendorfer. I haven\'t heard yours yet I don\'t think.

Go Back to forum