• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL Percussion vs LOP

Share/Bookmark

VSL Percussion vs LOP

Both seem to be in the same price range. Which is the favorite all around? All I have now is AO and Gtown.

-Matt

Re: VSL Percussion vs LOP

Hehe, I asked a similiar question; LOP or EWQLSO percussion? a few months back. I have heard some comments that the VSL percussion was a trifle disappointing. I dont have it though so cant say for sure.

I have decided to go with LOP when the budget allows.

Regards, Scott.

I\'d actually pick VSL over LOP jsut for the exotic percussion stuff.

Bowed melodic perc, celeste, amazing amount of waterphone stuff..

in fact this libraries articulation count is pretty unsurpassed.

I like LOP\'s variations of instruments, and choices of instruments tho.

QLSO\'s sound is going to be the winner tho for many people. I\'ve said it before and I\'ll say it again. It\'s going to freaking ROCK!!

anyway, out of the two, I\'d actually go with VSL, there\'s jsut more stuff to choose from in articulations and sample count. Both would be best of course [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As I dont think anyone could have too much percussion....

I\'ve been thinking this over too for a while, having to think mostly because I\'m on a budget (if I could, I\'d buy \'em all without a thought). For now, I\'ve decided to go QLSO when it is available, mostly because my giga machines are already taxed enough by the templates which I like as they are right now. Having my sequencing comp do all the percussion would be a great load off, and I can mix down on the fly to unburden it easily enough. I will have VSL Pro perc tho. There just isn\'t any doubt in my mind about that, only what order to do it in.

Anyway, my own personal logic train there... now I\'m going this way -------> [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

sorry yes, the celeste is pro edition, the rest however can be found in the first edition, but expanded more in the pro

I actually didn\'t like the percussion all too much when I first used it, just cycling through hte sounds, but when I put them to use I found them to work really well.

LOP jumped out at me as really cool when I first got it, but started having real probs with the recording as I used it. Alot of it still works really well tho.

I understand the need ot be persnickety about percussion, IMO you cant ever have enough, and each cue can benefit from different samples. If I could have 300 different snare samples I\'d take it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] tho I\'d only use about 20 of them often of course [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    I\'d actually pick VSL over LOP jsut for the exotic percussion stuff.
    [...] Compare, for instance, the beautifully executed cymbal rolls on the Peter Erskine collection or the old Sabian Cymbal CD collection with the VSL performances. There\'s no contest.
    [...] Lee Blaske
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oh yes. Mr. Erskine certainly played a lot of Bruckner or Mozart-pieces this way, didn\'t he? 8-]

[Sorry, I couldn\'t resist. This was simply too obvious.]

Not to pick on any library in particular but, man Lee, I could not have said it any better. You have practically stated our reason for getting into this sample production thing. Every library we had sounded like poor instruments tuned poorly played by poor players. From the first recordings of UOP, through the Christian and Lane libraries and LOP we have created percussion libraries using the best instruments, played by professional, accomplished percussionists. Every aspect of the production of a library from mic and instrument placement to recording techniques through programming for playability has come from the standpoint of a professional percussionist. We have attempted to select a variety of instruments that we would want at our disposal if we were actually performing and a list of articulations covering anything we might use in a performance.

Are there other good libraries out there? Absolutely! Will there be more? Absolutely! Do I feel ours cover the most bases with the most choices and realism? Absolutely! If I didn\'t, we would have done them differently so that they do.

Here\'s another demo for you. Maybe we can sway you with this one. In addition to LOP it also includes the Marimba/Vibes library.

http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/concertoforperc.mp3

Oh, and cymbals? In Mozart? Hmmm...

Sean
    DS Soundware

\"That\'s why I\'m keeping my fingers crossed about the EWQLSO percussion with its world class room and celebrity engineer. Maybe it\'ll have the sound I crave. Having close, stage and hall perspectives on each sample should be very nice.\"

You will be pleased for sure. People will debate the pros and cons of the VSL and QLSO libraries overall but the one sure thing is that the percussion disk will be the hands down no brainer. The timpani really sound like they are behind the orchestra for example. Its very uncanny and you will get spoiled real quick.

Later
    Dave

There\'s something about the way a great instrument can bloom within a wonderful room that\'s hard to simulate.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Feh. You can easily put close-miked toms in the middle of a gym, for example. It\'s just a matter of being a sloppy pig with the reverb.

(Without implying anything about the EWQL stuff - just a general comment.)

Originally posted by David Govett:

You will be pleased for sure. People will debate the pros and cons of the VSL and QLSO libraries overall but the one sure thing is that the percussion disk will be the hands down no brainer. The timpani really sound like they are behind the orchestra for example. Its very uncanny and you will get spoiled real quick.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That is probably very true. I think everybody who commented the legendary \"First Quick Demo\" liked the percussion on it. Yes, the percussion will be a sure thing.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Go Back to forum