• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: For all pianists out there.......

Share/Bookmark

Re: For all pianists out there.......

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    This has actually been out for some time, it\'s just getting a redesign.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What it already exists. Where, Where?!!!. Dear God let me have it.

I\'ve got an old gutted Steinway baby grand that was about to be refurbished. It has an action to die for and with a bit of tweaking could make the ultimate controller keyboard for piano sample libraries. I\'d just recon it and record it but in the spare room its currently sitting in the acoustic is poor and would just end up sounding honky-tonk!.

Bruce, you\'re a lucky man to have experienced that. I\'d love to have the chance to fiddle around with those old dinasours. VSTIs are great, but they\'re not very romantic.

Well, it\'s over $2k, it doesn\'t have any aftertouch control, or even a mod wheel and pitch wheel and it resides on the back end of the keyboard instead of being inside the actual piano which IMHO would be more attractive (and invisible).

I love the idea but it seems clunky and expensive. I think for $2k there are some great controllers out there that simulate the real feel closely enough for me. But then again it\'s the perfect product for piano feel purists.

If it was around $500 or less I think it would be more widely received.

Well if its hot at reading velocity correctly and does what it says on the tin, so to speak, then I\'m game on buying it. I\'ve longed for something like this for ages. Do you know where it can be purchased from?.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I think Buchla only does direct sales now.

www.buchla.com

But...that device is currently off the market while they do the re-design. You might find a used one somewhere, but I think I\'d wait for the new one if you\'re really wanting it.

Check out the Lightning controller, too, and all the \"historic\" photos. I built my synthesis chops on those old babies...seeing those photos makes me remember everything about it, right down to the way the thing smelled. I used to love those little \"stove burner\" pads that were touch sensitive according to how much \"flesh\" was pressed on them. The little voltage-controlling sequencers were very cool as well. Some of the loops I did for the initial release of ACID were lifted off my old Buchla projects.

I am so old. Sigh. I think I\'ll go curl up in the fetal position and rock awhile.

I loved the concept of the original, but the redesign has the same problem-I want to play my piano keyboard and hear my Giga Bose. But I\'ll always hear the piano; even if I muffle it, I\'ll hear the clunk of the hammers on the felt muffler...

Dasher

The Yamaha MIDI Acoustic Grand pianos are the bomb for this application. Their silent system is amazing and the internal sound module for silent practicing is really great sounding.

Highly recommended!

(and much cheaper than a Disclavier too!)

Little hard to find in many Piano store though....they sell mostly the straight acoustic pianos or the disclavier models....but the MIDI Piano is really very wonderful to play. So cool to be able to play silently with headphones on a REAL acoustic piano. (The sample in the module is of their 9 ft Concert range instrument too...pretty good!)

spectrum

PS. Those pianos are really nice for the money too...hard to beat for consistency and tone in that price range.

is there any internal midi kits out there?

I have an uncle who\'s a piano tech and he\'s always telling me about how dirt cheap he can get junk grand pianos. In the back of my mind, i\'m always thinking how cool it would be to get one and convert it to a midi controller while still using the piano keys, just minus the sound board and the strings.
    perhaps a method where the hammer hits a trigger or something.... while still having that grand action.

For all pianists out there.......

Maybe I should add: \"who own decent acoutic pianos\"

This news might just get you a bit excited (from SOS site):

Moog to make MIDI from any piano with the Piano Bar

The Piano Bar allows any acoustic piano to send MIDI data, using infra-red sensors to detect the movement of the piano keys. The system, pictured here with Bob Moog (left) and Don Buchla (right), consists of the Scanner Bar, Pedal Sensor and Control Module. The Scanner Bar sits unobtrusively over the piano keys and requires no permanent or destructive installation. Since it doesn’t actually touch the keyboard, the feel of the keys is unaffected. The Pedal Sensor sits underneath the pedals, registering their movement, and both Pedal Sensor and Scanner Bar are connected to the compact Control Module. The Module contains a library of 500 instruments and effects but, naturally, the system can be used to trigger any other MIDI gear.

Though still in development, the Piano Bar is an exciting prospect for the future — rather than searching for the keyboard controller with the most authentic weighted action, the discerning keyboardist will be able to simply turn his or her acoustic piano into a keyboard controller!

Woooooooffffff!!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

This has actually been out for some time, it\'s just getting a redesign.

But to be sure, anything Don Buchla does is brilliant. He has made some of the most interesting instruments and controllers the industry has ever known. I did all my college \"electronic composition,\" as it was called on a pair of Buchla 200s cobbled together as a gigantic modular cockpit with two 1/2\" Ampex 4-tracks. To this day, I remember that setup fondly...we had great times and made great music with that system.

My wife will be real impressed when I haul all my gear into the living room, and then she\'ll make me get rid of my S80!!!

Go Back to forum