• Register
  • Help

Topic: Adobe Cancels Premier on the Mac

Share/Bookmark

Adobe Cancels Premier on the Mac

FROM GOOD MORNING SILICON VALLEY

Adobe not going to bother with Premiere for Mac: The Macintosh video-editing application market has gotten a bit too crowded for Adobe. On Monday the company announced that the next version of its flagship video-editing program Premiere will not work on Macintosh. With Apple\'s Final Cut family of products gaining more and more traction in the market, Adobe decided it just didn\'t make financial sense to support the Mac anymore. \"We were rewriting Premiere from scratch, and it would have taken a lot of work to have cross-platform support,\" David Trescot, senior director of Adobe\'s digital video products group, told News.com. \"If Apple\'s already doing an application, it makes the market for a third-party developer that much smaller. I think you\'re going to find that more and more -- if Apple\'s in a software market, third-party vendors are going to skip it.\"

Re: Adobe Cancels Premier on the Mac

Good riddance!

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    That\'s a wise decision. With FCP, I can\'t imagine why anyone would make a new, fresh purchase of Premier.

I\'ve owned it for sometime myself, mainly for doing basic editing and format conversion. This will force me to finally shell out for FCP, and it doesn\'t bother me a bit.

There may some out there, but I have yet to run into a hard core Premier on the Mac fan. Are there any PC users who are really excited about Premier?

Lee Blaske
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I really like Premiere...

Are there any PC users who are really excited about Premier?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think Vegas has really hurt Premiere. Premiere was buggy and would crash all the time.

I too say good riddance.

I think Adobe must be really starting to suffer,
    - Instead of Illustrator you have Macromedia Freehand
    - Instead of Pagemaker you have Quark
    - Instead of Go Live you have Dreamweaver
    - Instead of Photoshop you have Fireworks (at least for web work)
    - Adobes SVG viewer (kind of a cheap flash imitation) never got off the ground either.

Scott.

Uhhhh - forgive me, folks, but I think some of you might be missing a significant point here... so allow me to play the Debbils Advocate for a minute...

Premiere may not have been a truly active player on the Mac for a while - but it\'s significant that a major corp like Adobe is yanking Mac support for another of its products just because Apple has their own apps dominating the platform.

It\'s great that the Apple-owned programs work well - but when all the competing programs are gone, what will be Apple\'s true incentive to innovate (except to innovate in order to get folks to upgrade to new more-powerful machines)?

Also, Apple has no need to competitively price their software products; with the purchase of the FCP 4.0 upgrade, I figure I\'ve now bought FCP three times over (since I also owned Cinema Tools) for the same product. I\'m now waiting to see what will happen in future upgrades of Logic.

Another bugaboo - as folks like Adobe drop support for platform products like Premiere, what then really keeps them in the Mac platform for ancillary products like AfterEffects - especially if they think that Apple may trump them again in that arena (as they already own Shake)?

And what of Maya? Writing these apps for the Mac involve large investments of time and cash - and thinking in business-mode, you\'d have to be nuts NOT to consider dropping the platform for these specialized/small-market apps if you think the platform developer might sucker-punch you.

Finally, what existing developer (say Steinberg or MOTU) would want to continue competing within a platform where the specs change without warning, thus causing your app to underperform or crash; as well as forcing them to always play catch up to one of Apple\'s internal divisions which will always be three development months ahead of them (or more)?

Competition is truly vital to the strength of a platform - and this is just the start of a trend I\'ve been dreading for some time. I knew about the Adobe announcement last week (I think I even mentioned it in the sequencer thread); and I don\'t think this will be the last defection - as a matter of fact, I think they\'re going to start coming out faster and faster over the next few months...

The Mac faithful - and I still think of myself as one - may say \"so what\'\' or \"good riddance,\" but in this case Apple may really be sacrificing permanent market-share for higher profit margins; and where as that may work for BMW or Mercedes, everyday consumers and even pros might start doing cost-benefit analysis - only to find that the higher-priced spread really isn\'t giving them anything more for their money except a trendy, cooler-than-thou ego boost & snappy appearing hardware & interfaces.

Please remember - especially in these worse-than-flat times in the technology sector - Apple _really_ can\'t afford to lose much more market share; the end result of that won\'t benefit loyal users, much less the stockholders Apple needs more than they need loyal users.

Just my two cents - and of course, Your Milage May Vary. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Premeire didn\'t so much lose ground. They stood still. Better ideas just popped up, and by the time Adobe took notice it was too late for them in the MAC market. What I don\'t think they realize is that it\'s too late in the PC market, too. I can\'t see them overcoming Vegas\'s lead. Even Final Cut junkies won\'t give Vegas any slagging--it is a killer app no matter what standards you hold it against. Word is out, and Sony only brings more market share to the table...lots more. Baby Vegas with every camera? That\'s instant, exponential increase in exposure and upgrade cash. Premier is getting squeezed on the PC side as well. It will be interesting to see what they can pull out and if it can approach Vegas.

But Adobe still has lots of success. Illustrator is still a better program than Freehand. Illustrator and PhotoShop have overwhelming market profile. Macromedia\'s UI concepts are clumsy. Freehand and Flash make me feel totally stupid, and I\'m not. I feel like I\'m jumping through hoops in both of those programs to do the same thing a click or a drag would do in Illustrator or even Corel (which has some great UI design). After using music applications with their nice feature-packed timelines, the Flash timeline is just a doofus of an interface. They do absolutely nothing with the most powerful real estate in the application!!

Sorry, that was a rant, eh?

Illustrator is still a better program than Freehand. Illustrator and PhotoShop have overwhelming market profile. Macromedia\'s UI concepts are clumsy. Freehand and Flash make me feel totally stupid, and I\'m not. I feel like I\'m jumping through hoops in both of those programs to do the same thing a click or a drag would do in Illustrator or even Corel (which has some great UI design). After using music applications with their nice feature-packed timelines, the Flash timeline is just a doofus of an interface. They do absolutely nothing with the most powerful real estate in the application!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sorry Bruce, but coming from someone who studied all of these apps in college and who uses them professionally today, I cant agree with all your points. Illustrator has certainly been the industry standard (and still is) but it has some suprising limitations. Last I was using it, (Ver 9 I think) it was still a single page application, in other words, you couldnt work on more than one file at a time. Freehand lets you create a multi page layout that you can drag and drop vectors between. I agree that Macromedia has a different ideology and methodology in their apps but I dont know if it is worse. In fact, from Fireworks 4, Flash 4, Dreamweaver 4 (Ultradev 1) Freehand 8 onwards, they pretty much standardised the GUI. (with some small exceptions)so that if you learnt the shortcuts to one Macromedia app you could be up and running straight away with a new Macromedia app that you had never used before. Macromedia also features tight integration between their different apps; I can create graphics in FW, chop them up and drop them into DW, and if I dont like them can launch straight back into FW from the DW interface to re-edit graphics.

The Flash timeline is surpisingly easy once you get your head into the Macromedia way of doings things.

Sorry, I\'m having a rant too! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

x$, I agree with you. This has some disturbing implications for the future of Mac-based sequencing. While I recently jumped ship from Cubase to Logic, I still enjoy the fact that choice exists in the Mac sequencer market. It means that if, say, Steinberg, figures out a cool new way to do something, then the other guys will have to figure out something comparable in order to keep their user community happy. (ReWire, anyone?)

If Steinberg and MOTU go the way of Adobe Premier within the next 5 years, it means that Apple will have little incentive to pay attention to what Logic users want. After all, it\'s not like they are going to go with a competitive product, right? Anyone who happened to catch Apple\'s savaging of Cubase at the WWDC should be concerned about whether this is the shape of things to come from Steve Jobs. True, they trashed Cubase on the PC... this time. But they didn\'t even mention that Cubase could be used on the Mac as well.

And bear in mind that the David Trescot, senior director of Adobe\'s digital video products group, said \"I think you\'re going to find that more and more -- if Apple\'s in a software market, third-party vendors are going to skip it.\" If true, I wonder if we will start to see this happen by plug-in developers dropping support altogether for VST under OS X and just concentrating their resources on AU.

And look at MOTU and Steiny now. MOTU users are becoming a discontented lot (look how few we have in this forum). For MOTU to piss off so many ardent users, it means they must have really dropped the ball on support or getting their OS X version to work. Steinberg users are worried about the recent acquisition of Steiny by PInnacle-- a largely PC-product company. To imagine Pinnacle dropping Mac support for Cubase does not require that much of a stretch; Cubase is just one of the many products they offer, and is unique in that it includes Mac support. If anyone\'s in trouble, I\'d say it would be MOTU. Mac-only, and under such market conditions as these... I wonder if they might just get out of the software biz altogether and focus on their hardware products. Unlikely that anyone would buy them for their software sales as they would inherit the same crisis that Trescot cites above. The PC market doesn\'t seem to be missing a compatible version of DP.

Rant, rant, rant...

Hi,

This is a sad announcement for both MAC and PC. I love the idea of cross platform software. But, I guess this is proving a difficult feat.

I am an enthusiastic Premiere PC user, I do quite a lot of video work in addition to my audio producing. Premiere is a fantastic combo with Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects. One thing to keep in mind is that Premiere ($499 PC version at B&H)cost much less than Final Cut Pro ($899). Once again, MAC is relegated to the more affluent users. I sort of think of the PC platform these days as a democratization tool for artists that have heretofore been kept out of the \"produce\" you own material game, because of their meager pocket book. (SOrry MAC friends but this is the truth, I\'m living it.\"

Anyway, it\'s sad to see the polarization grow bigger between these too worlds. I like MAC and my MAC buddies and I don\'t think they will take this departure hard, but I think they should.

Garius Hill

Premiere Pro is 699. FCP is 999. Avid DVXpress is 999. (DV only)

Have you seen FCP express? DV $299

imovie? (free)

Old versions of Premiere shipped free with capture cards on both sides of the asile.

And retail price for buying it previously was the same for both platforms.

As well, Avid is putting out a free version of DVXpress that\'s track limited (much like PT free) both platforms.

The apps that I use that are cross platform (Lightwave, AE, PS, etc..all cost the same for PC or mac)

The DV camera or deck you buy for your studio costs the same whether you are buying it to use with a mac or a PC. ..etc.

The cables all cost the same...etc.

While there may be a few more choices in any given category of software for the PC side at any given level...there is plenty of opportunity and availablity at all levels and prices ranges on both sides of the aisle.

So, please..don\'t feel bad for us. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

A G5, with OSX, FCP, Logic, DVDpro and Shake all integrated together , made to work together and updated together thru apple? I\'ll take it!

It\'s only money [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum