• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can someody help me compare VSL vs. EWQLSO?

Share/Bookmark

Can someody help me compare VSL vs. EWQLSO?

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I searched the forums and didn\'t find it.

So, I need a full orchestra kit so I\'m not really considering Garritan (his strings are awesome, but I need the whole kit.)

VSL looks incredible but I can\'t seem to find much about EWQLSO. How many samples, where is the library going in the future, how do they sound (I\'ve listened to the samples and the sound excellent, although VSL has more.)

Any help is really appreciated - I can only afford to spend $3K once, so I\'d prefer to pick the right one.

thanks!
    -d-

Re: Can someody help me compare VSL vs. EWQLSO?

EWQLSO has not been released yet, so a comparison cannot really be made.

Fair enough. =)

By the way, simon, your \"Traveller\" example on the vsl website is one of the main things that sold me on the library. Really, really awesome. Totally incredible.

Anyway, are there rumors about what it\'s supposed to be when it is released? I just don\'t want to blow 3K on a library and then discover that I should have bought something else. Clearly, VSL is worth it, but, not having $6K, I can only buy one.

thanks, simon, and again, really kicking job on the piece.

-denny-

We are all waiting for EWQLSO demos that should show some of the possibilities of that library.
    Demos should be out soon [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

there are several parameters to consider:
    1. look at the cube and performance set at the VSL site. at the ened of the month the prices are going up. consider carefully the difference in price and the size of the \"pro edition\" lib.
    ( i have the performance set and ordering the cube this week)
    2. the sounds are recorded on a silent room-
    this means you need a GOOD reverb(truverb alverb, hardware etc) AND you should have a way to collapse
    the stereo image -IE: waves S1.
    3. there is a demo on the QLSL site ( many more to follow)
    4. becuase the hall reverb is recorded with the samples ( with 3 mics) . this will make mixing much more easier if your are trying to create at
    virtual orchestra : IE you don\'t have to worry about panning and the stereo image.
    5. although you don\'t need addition software
    ( giga) you should have a decent p4 with lots of ram.
    so its not really that cut and dry! there are pros and cons to each. depending on what your needs are.
    for me i think the VSL has a particular sound i like for certain sytles of music. as does the QLSL which i might like more for screaming \"terminator\" type cues. i can see perhaps intresting results mixing the two.

Perfectly put Lee.
    Dave

Can someone explain how and why to
    use the Waves S1.
    thanks

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by ddk:
    Can someone explain how and why to
    use the Waves S1.
    thanks
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The manual has a really great overview, and you can download it from www.waves.com

I think its not so much jsut about the sound, but also KNOWING what you\'re hearing, and what you like about it.

Is it the composition, is the the mix, is it the performance, is it a mix of all of them, and which do you prefer?

Go Back to forum