• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Experience with Freeze Files

Share/Bookmark

Experience with Freeze Files

I\'m just curious if anybody has been using Logic 6 and taking advantage of the freeze file feature. I love the concept but I\'ve been having all sorts of problems with is. Strange bugy things. Anyone else experiencing this?

Re: Experience with Freeze Files

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    I\'m just curious if anybody has been using Logic 6 and taking advantage of the freeze file feature. I love the concept but I\'ve been having all sorts of problems with is. Strange bugy things. Anyone else experiencing this?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">such as? I use freeze all the time and haven\'t really encountered any bugs... some questionable implementation issues yes, but it all seems to work as advertised for me...

What sort of problems did you have? I use the freeze function in Logic and it worked fine for me...

???
    Alaia

Well, I\'m having several random problems, none of which are consistent.

The first one has to do with timing. I\'ll freeze a file and then it won\'t play back right. Happens a lot with drum tracks processed through Battery or EXS plugins. Shakers, ride cymbals, high hats... things I depend of for timing - play out of time. Very goofy. Sometimes delays will also process wrong. I can fix this sometimes by just re-freezing the file. But not always. Also sometimes freezing track by track instead of 5 or 6 at a time seems to help sometimes, but I can\'t pinpoint the bug. Just know it goofs up a lot.

Second more serious problem has to do with tracking. If I\'mtrying to cut a track (vocal, gtr etc.) and I have tracks frozen, I will often do a punch on the fly and the computer makes a goofy buzzy noise. Then it will go ahead and punch, but the timing is off for the track. Really strange. If can just re-punch a few times and eventually it will work. But totally throws my talent off. they hate it, I hate it, and... i guess that\'s enough of that.

The final problem I\'ve just started having is when I have Frozen tracks playing. If I merge a file, Usually the file will merge and life is happy, but now it\'s doing a \"digital mix down\" and the file will merge the entire length of the song, but be completely empty. None of the audio data merges. Talk about screwing me up! Then when I try to undo, Logic is giving me an error message with a button that says \"Bad\" and I ahve to push it and my computer freezes.... I think that\'s bad. Anyway... that\'s my experience. Just wondered if anyone else is having similar problems.

J-

Well, I tried it with a Digi 001 and it totally blew chunks. I\'ve not used the Apple manager. For the last couple months MOTU 2408 Mk3 has been the I/O of most prominant use [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well my 2408 is fine playing back freeze files at 32 bit so it\'s not that then. As I said it was a long shot. Could it be a disk problem/fragmentation thing? All you problems are seem disk related.

yea, well I think it\'s just a really good excuse to order a new G5 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J

I\'m not getting any such problems and Freeze has always worked perfectly except it doesn\'t free up RAM. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

This is a very long shot but I\'m wondering what audio hardware you are using? The reason I ask is that by default the Freeze files are 32bit and maybe your audio hardware doesn\'t like files at this bit depth. There is an option in the prefs to make the Freeze files 16 or 24 bit. Also, do you get the problems when Logic is set to use your Mac\'s audio hardware?

Well, I tried it with a Digi 001 and it totally blew chunks. I\'ve not used the Apple manager. For the last couple months MOTU 2408 Mk3 has been the I/O of most prominant use [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

yea, well I think it\'s just a really good excuse to order a new G5 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You mean you needed an excuse????!!!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

hm...

some of your problems seem to be well known:

The merge function works fine as long as you are working with DAE /TDM (thats most likely the reason why I never had this problem) but a friend of mine told me with ASIO soundcards it is definitely a problem, it doesn´t work properly...

The \"punch on the fly\" problem is also known. What about importing the freeze files into the Audio window? Could that be an idea? (Or give Emagic a call??? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

best regards
    Alaia

Go Back to forum