• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: WHAT??? No Copy Protection in GIGA 3.0?

Share/Bookmark

WHAT??? No Copy Protection in GIGA 3.0?

Sorry to be causing a ruckus again, but did I read Dan Dean\'s post correctly? Will there be no copy protection in 3.0 giga? I was personally promised there would be. Guess that explains why they never sent me a beta version. To think I felt a little guilty about doing N.I. virtual instruments. That\'s pretty disappointing. This is not any threat and I DON\'T speak for EAST WEST, but I am not interested in putting out any more un-copy protected libraries.

Re: WHAT??? No Copy Protection in GIGA 3.0?

Isn\'t VOTA supposed to have a protection that asks for the CD once in a while? Or was that just bluffing?? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Because I\'ve never been asked to insert my VOTA CD(s).

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

That is the best news I have heard this year. Excellent. Bravo. Outstanding.

Yeah, you seem to have won them over. Maybe they\'ll remove the copy protection of the actual application as well?....... I think not. Peace, my fellow 4 star brothers.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Well, I\'m not believing it until I see it. But I can see why they wouldn\'t want to do a thing to cost themselves any market share at this juncture.

Moral issues aside, people truly interested in using libraries for commercial purposes wouldn\'t consider using pirate sounds, it\'s too risky.

Copy protection makes the host applications more expensive, does almost nothing to stop piracy, and makes computers dongle zoos.

Don\'t worry Nick [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It won\'t affect the industry. People will pirate, but they are not people making money from the libraries anyway. Just hobbyists.

Nick, nothing is confirmed. The best thing to do is wait for some kind of announcement.

May be that might help to solve the problem..?

Binary Code = New Audio Copy Protection

Arty

After all, even if CP is available within GS 3.0, a library manufacturer could choose to enable or not enable it, couldn\'t they? That would leave the decision up to the library producer, so anybody would be free to market their product as they see fit.

Lee Blaske
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Give that man a beer!

Hans

Letting the customers steer the market would be the best solution as far as I\'m concerned.

Allowing the developers the CHOICE of using an available copy protection or not, would give the customer the opportunity to BOYCOTT such library if the inconvenience was too severe.

And how about double pricing?
    Sample library with CP: $100
    Sample library without CP: $300

I think the number of \"power users\" that would pay for the convenience of an unrestricted library is relatively small (compared to the user base that looks to price first). Thus, it would be easier to track down the source of any pirated samples. Especially if the unrestricted libraries have digital watermarking.

The market could adjust itself.

Let all options be available.

Hans Adamson

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast