• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Vintaudio Yamaha C7 Classical User Demos

Share/Bookmark

Re: Vintaudio Yamaha C7 Classical User Demos

Originally posted by Pochacco:
    Hello all,

I noticed that Vintaudio didn\'t have any classical demos for their Yamaha C7 library on their website. So for those wondering how this library performs with classical piano music, I decided to do a few demos:

</font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">(Ambient) Debussy\'s Clair de lune</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">(Close Miked) Debussy\'s Arabesque No 1</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">(Player Perspective) Beethoven\'s Moonlight Sonata</font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">
    These demos were done with the 16-bit Giga version, no reverb added. I amplified the volume a little in Cool Edit Pro, then encoded to mp3.

Having performed in public many times on Yamaha grand pianos, I must say that I\'m very satisfied with this library. Vintaudio did an excellent job capturing this Yamaha C7, and it sounds just as good as I expected. The Ambient library is very appropriate for classical piano, but I also love the more intimate sound of the player perspective library for classical piano. What do you think?

Cheers,
    Anousone
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nice sound, but what´s with the high frequency noise in the songs? For example, in Claire de lune, a high pitched sound is very obvious at 0:34.

Mats

Hi Mats, I think what yo\'re hearing (and it\'s very faint, had to turn it really loud to hear it )is the MP3 compression or Anousone\'s audio system that has some sort of high pitch whine.
    I just reread Anousone\'s post and the answerI think is right there \"I amplified the volume in Cool Edit Pro\", that\'s probably the culprit.

If you listen to the other demos on the website, there is no such noise in the other mp3s.
    Again it is very faint to me and is probably due to either the mp3 compression scheme used or some sort of artifact from Anousone\'s audio system.
    Also make sure your audio card is set to 44.1 khz and you\'re listening to the demos not with
    \"real player\" but with windows media player or something better.
    Franky.

Hi,

I like your Yamaha C7 and such classical demo.

You know, it\'s very difficult for me to explain in English my feelings about a Piano.

Sorry for that

So in French :

\" Un des meilleurs Piano samplé du moment, avec beaucoup de nuances et de réalismes. Les 3 perspectives de son en font un des Pianos les plus réalistes. C\'est un véritable Yamaha C7. Il n\'y a plus qu\'à espérer que Frank, l\'auteur nous programme un beau Steinway D avec les mêmes techniques de prise de son \"

En un mot : Bravo

Regards,

Olivier

Originally posted by Olivierbergman:

En un mot : Bravo

Regards,

Olivier [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I dont know french, but I understand that!! hehe

Ed

Thanks Olivier [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Here\'s the translation

From Olivier Bergman Quote :\" One of the best sampled pianos available currently, with alot of nuance and realism. The 3 available perspectives make it one of the most realistic sampled piano, it\'s a real Yamaha C7. All is left is to hope Franky the author of the library programs us a beautiful Steinway using the same miking techniques, in one word Bravo.\" End quote.

Franky.

Originally posted by Franky:
    Hi Mats, I think what yo\'re hearing (and it\'s very faint, had to turn it really loud to hear it )is the MP3 compression or Anousone\'s audio system that has some sort of high pitch whine.
    I just reread Anousone\'s post and the answerI think is right there \"I amplified the volume in Cool Edit Pro\", that\'s probably the culprit.

If you listen to the other demos on the website, there is no such noise in the other mp3s.
    Again it is very faint to me and is probably due to either the mp3 compression scheme used or some sort of artifact from Anousone\'s audio system.
    Also make sure your audio card is set to 44.1 khz and you\'re listening to the demos not with
    \"real player\" but with windows media player or something better.
    Franky.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ok, that´s bs. Mp3 does not create artifacts of that kind and I believe Anousone\'s audio system is just fine. I´ve heard that same error in some of the other C7 demos as well. Some samples seem to have a high pitched noise in them. Cool Edit 2000 or Pro does NOT make any kind of errors like that, not even when avoiding dithering after amplifying the original file.

On a side note, I use Winamp with MAD plugin v. 0.14.2b to output audio to dithered 32 bit audio directly through waveout for my mp3 listening and usually Soundforge to listen to .wav files. Everything goes out through my Wami Rack 24 at 44.1 KHz (fixed at 44.1, unless I record at another sample rate), without no digital attenuation before the audio hits the mixer at +4dBu level. I listen through pretty darn good studio monitors and Grado headphones, and my cables are of good quality... which basically means that what is in comes out and nothing more, nothing less. I believe the whine is in the instrument itself, since not all notes in the demo files are affected. And it´s damn annoying.

Mats

I was just trying to be helpful, no need to get agressive......

The library\'s sold over 200 copies already, and this includes high profile producers composers and well respected sample library producers that frequent this forum namely Nick Phoenix and Michiel Post, also the library\'s been thuroughly tested by Tascam developers and is distributed by Tascam( These Professional sample developers are highly skilled and talented and beleive me if there was a \"high pitched whine\" in the samples they would\'ve told me a long time ago....), and no one has ever mentionned anything about a \"high pitched whine\", so please do not pull conclusions from MP3 demos and make these kinds of statements about a sample library when you have no way of corroborating such dammaging remarks especially based on MP3 demos, to make such remarks simply based on MP3 demos is totally irresponsible......
    I can guarantee there is no \"high Pitched Whine\" in the samples, other who have bought the library can and will probably attest to this.

Franky
    Vintaudio

Originally posted by Franky:
    Wow... who pissed in your cornflakes this morning...... ?
    I was just trying to be helpful there bud, no need to get agressive......

The library\'s sold over 200 copies already and NO ONE has EVER mentionned anything about a \"high pitched whine\", so please do not pull conclusions from MP3 demos and make inflammatory statements about a sample library when you have no way of corroborating such dammaging remarks especially based on MP3 demos......
    I can guarantee there is no \"high Pitched Whine\" in the samples, other who have bought the library can and will probably attest to this...
    Thank you for the helpful and positive attitude posts, one can really fell you have something useful or otherwise positive to add to this thread.... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Franky
    Vintaudio
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Franky, please lay off the sarcasm. The Kellogg´s K-specials were just great this morning.

I´m damn tired of being written off as a punk nobody with no experience/gear/talent, that´s why I did go into detail about my monitoring, which I actually like pretty much. It´s good enough for me and most anyone. It shows the audio in all it´s nakedness. And I´ve sampled LOTS of instrument for several years, ranging from 1 mb to 100 mb to 1 gig. I din´t want to go into details about the hi pitch squeeks with the first message. I´d heard them when first listening to your early demos, and now I just fished for others´ experiences to see if they too had noticed.

I love your piano. It´s just fabulous. It´s sound is remarkably neat and quite balanced, though the recording is a bit on the dark side for a yam piano in _my_ opinion. But it´s probably due to the room it was recorded in and can be helped with eq and/or verb. I respect the work that went into it, and as I´ve made pianos of pretty large sizes before, my hat´s off to your dedication in this massive project. It´s just great. Probably the only gigapiano I´d buy if I didn´t sample my own instruments every now and then.

But the frequency is there, even in your other demos from your site. It´s very subtle, not really noticeable 99% of the time. Always the same frequency: 15575 Hz. Easily kill-able with an eq. Check it out with a spectrum analyzer for yourself. Did you have a TV set on while recording? I have encountered this once or twice when recording with the TV just muted, not turned off.

It can be heard (seen) in:
    Player Perspective demo
    Ambient miked demo
    Close (barely measurable)

I don´t want to kill the interest for this library, actually I like it very much, if you´re bothered with this frequency (you shouldn´t really be, most people can´t hear it anyway), it takes NOTHING to just eq it away and is a very minor beauty spot, mostly in the ambient set, and not easily heard at all. I just wondered where it came from.

Mats

Mats, no we did not have a T.V. set opened during the recording session... By god, this was a serious professional large studio and we worked for over 3 days to get the whole building\'s ventilation and every possible sound leak shut down to get the purest sound possible (this is a very large studio complex) and the room we recorded the piano in is acoustically tuned for piano recordings.

Now like I said, alot of professional sample developers actually bought the library and none of them has ever mentionned anything about a high pitched whine.

Many Developers from Tascam have tested and actually use the library and none of them has ever mentionned anything about a high pitched whine.

I have never heard a high pitched whine in the library and I have worked with the library for almost a year now, I also do professional masterings and I do not hear the high pitched whining you seem to hear.

So to say that this high pitched whine is in the library solely based on your assessment of a few MP3 demos is not very serious and is only your opinion and could come from a dozen different sources, computer gear interfeering with sound card during the creation of the demos or in the listening system itself, or what is most likely the cause MP3 compression codec or creation which can exaggerate and distort certain frequencies and make them stand out or finally could be non existent at all and part of the natural character of the piano itself and if so shouldn\'t annoy anybody especially if you say 99 % of people can\'t hear it anyway, so why bother and make a issue out of it....

Kindly,
    Franky
    Vintaudio

I own it.
    I use it.
    I love it.

These are the quietest piano samples on the market.
    NO NOISE WHATSOEVER!!

There are some other piano sets that have a noticable noise floor problem.
    This is not one of them.

Buy it.
    It was the best $$ I spent this year.

Go Back to forum