• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hard Drive Size

Share/Bookmark

Hard Drive Size

With the size of the sample libraries getting bigger, what size Hard Drive are people using for Giga? The Tascam site recommends you don\'t use a drive bigger than 60-80GB. I am running out of space on my current 60GB drive and don\'t think I can add another internal drive (I may be but am unsure). Is anyone using 120GB or bigger drives for samples?
    Is anyone using external Firewire drives for samples.

Thanks,
    David Russell

Re: Hard Drive Size

I use a Maxtor 300Gb 5400RPM 2Meg Cache drive to great effect - no glitches.

[ QUOTE ]
    With the size of the sample libraries getting bigger, what size Hard Drive are people using for Giga? The Tascam site recommends you don\'t use a drive bigger than 60-80GB. I am running out of space on my current 60GB drive and don\'t think I can add another internal drive (I may be but am unsure). Is anyone using 120GB or bigger drives for samples?
    Is anyone using external Firewire drives for samples.

Thanks,
    David Russell

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to answer this question based on the announced May release of Giga 3.0. At this time, to keep the polyphony up, it\'s recommended to go with two drives in a RAID configuration. In early tests, Tascam found this produced the best results. The use of Raptor drives in early testing only boosted polyphony by 40 voices. The Tascam brochure\'s statement about Giga getting 385 voice polyphony was based on two 120GB 7200RPM w8mb cache drives in a RAID.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Peter. My problem is I don\'t have anymore room on my IDE buses on the motherboard. I have 2 HDs, CDRW & DVDRom. Do you know if I can add an ATA controller card and use HDs attached to that for Giga? Can I use an ATA card in RAID? If the HDs won\'t work w/ Giga on the ATA card, could I move my CD&DVD to the card and use the secondary IDE bus in RAID.

Thanks!!!

David Russell

Just get a Promise raid controller. They come for free with some large drives.

-- Martin

Thats good to know Lee.

Short of replacing my motherboard, could I add a card and put my CDRW & DVD ROm on it? I could then put 1 or 2 drives on the IDE bus. I may not be able to create a RAID but if this would work Its probably the best solution at this time.

Thanks for your help!

David

Hi DG,

when it comes to Hard Drives..my choice is Maxtor 250 Gigs 7200 (8mb Cache) - I wouldn\'t buy anything less at this point in time.
    I get all of my gear at ZipZoomFly.com I build my own DAWS for 1/3rd the cost.

Alan Russell

How about external firewire drives? I\'m about to buy one. Can streaming samples from a firewire drive be done, provided it\'s 7200 rpm / 8-9 ms access time?

Also, it says in one of the pdfs on the GigaStudio site that the components within larger capacity drives (e.g. 120, 160 gigabyte), specifically the platters that the data is written to, are being made thinner to accommodate a larger storage capacity and therefore tend to be of a little less quality than say, an 80 gig drive. Can anyone confirm that or can I just go for a 160 gig drive?

Yes that\'s true. Also seek time becomes longer, so I\'ve noticed.

Go Back to forum