• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Anyone successfully running Cubase SX and Gigastudio on 1 PC?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone successfully running Cubase SX and Gigastudio on 1 PC?

Here is my system:

Pentium 4 2.4GHz w/ 533MHz FSB
    1.5GB of RDRAM PC1066
    Total 180GB HDDs

I would like to sequence in Cubase and sample thru Gigastudio back into Cubase.

Re: Anyone successfully running Cubase SX and Gigastudio on 1 PC?

Can\'t help you Alan, but I do know this:

I have a P4, 2.6. 800 FSB, and only 512 RAM, and I can run Kontakt, Reaktor, Halion and RM IV all at the same time in SX, live, without a problem. I do have Giga on another machine, and I\'m fairly familiar with it. I doubt it could be as processor-intensive as all those apps running at the same time. I\'d bet your machine can handle it.

The only thing I don\'t know is if Giga is technically capable of running on the same machine as your Multi-tracking software. I think it\'s been done. Let me know how it works out.

Originally posted by His Frogness:
    The only thing I don\'t know is if Giga is technically capable of running on the same machine as your Multi-tracking software. I think it\'s been done. Let me know how it works out.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This was my fear also. I heard that the Kontakt player and Giga don\'t play well either. I would like to run GPO along with the Giga libs, but I\'ve been warned of a complete meltdown because of the different coding on the apps.

Gigastudio is in the mail, I will let you know, hopefully it will be here for the weekend.

In the meantime, can anyone set my mind to ease about the two living on one? I really don\'t have the funds for a dedicated Giga machine.

GigaStudio3 with REWIRE = Problem solved [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I just bought Giga 2.5 but refuse to install it on my one machine with Cubase until GS3.0 comes out. I only bought it to pay the $50 upgrade when GS3 comes out.

Now, on the other hand I have heard of people accomplishing this with 2.5...I think it has to do with turn off the audio ports giga uses in cubase...Then the two can theoretically coexist.

I think the very reason that makes Giga very reliable as a disk streaming application, also makes it not play well with others. I suspect that the Kernel level programming that goes on behind the scenes in Giga interferes with other disk and processor intensive applications on the same machine.

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ignore - dbl post

Originally posted by Edward:
    GigaStudio3 with REWIRE = Problem solved [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I just bought Giga 2.5 but refuse to install it on my one machine with Cubase until GS3.0 comes out. I only bought it to pay the $50 upgrade when GS3 comes out.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks guys. Diddo Ed with the upgrade, I was just hoping to use it before April... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Alan Lastufka:

Here is my system:

Pentium 4 2.4GHz w/ 533MHz FSB
    1.5GB of RDRAM PC1066
    Total 180GB HDDs

I would like to sequence in Cubase and sample thru Gigastudio back into Cubase.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Alan,
    I\'ve done this although not with huge amounts of samples in Giga or audio tracks in SX, but I was only using a PIII 1 gig at the time.

After you\'ve installed Giga, run it before running Cubase and disable outputs 1,2 in Giga (Cubase grabs these outs so if you leave them enabled it\'ll cause problems).
    Close Giga and run SX and disable whatever Giga outs you are using(3,4?) so that each output pair is only assigned to one app.

Now close Cubase and run Giga again, go to \'Setting Hardware\'and set all midi inputs to \'None\' then go to \'Settings General\' and set Sequencer priority to about 5 and click apply, (you\'ll need to experiment with this).

now run Cubase, you should find 4 Giga midi ports available in SX and that should be it.

If possible, use 3 HD\'s, 1 for system, 1 for Gigs and 1 for audio.

Recording Giga back into Cubase depends on your audio card, I use a Pulsar which can route internally, you may need to wire outs 3,4 to ins 1,2 or something. Otherwise you could use the Giga record feature and import the waves into SX.

Hope this helps

Brian

Thanks Brian, I will definetly give this a go the day GigaStudio arrives! Thanks for the detailed response...

I\'ve been doing it for a while.

Cubase SX 2.01
    Giga 2.54
    Athlon 2600 processor
    1 gig of ram

I run my entire string and brass template from Giga and can also load up Atmosphere and various plugs in Cubase.

I have a samples drive, Western Digital with 8 meg cache dedicated to streaming samples only.

Been running great for me. I do run Win XP pretty lean though, no visual effects at all, lots of uneccessary services turned off. No virtual memory, etc, etc.

Go Back to forum