• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ggastudio & Soundcard question

Share/Bookmark

Ggastudio & Soundcard question

Hi,
    I\'ve been using Gigastudio with Sibelius for several years with SBLive [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . I recently bought a new computer and I want to buy really good soundcard for orcestral music without latency.
    As I concern that RME cards very good but I don\'t ave any idea about World Clock, ADAT, or such else.. I\'ve checked web site of RME and I found 4in 4out expantion board. 4 out meands 2 stereo out. Its not enough for me. Please somebody help me. I\'m really confused, which sound card best for me.
    thanks.
    Koray

Re: Ggastudio & Soundcard question

Have you thought about the MOTU 828. It is a firewire interface so you\'ll need firewire on your computer. It has great GSIF drivers, but no midi input. If you must have midi input on your card, you might want to look into Echo Audio\'s Layla.

Hi, thankyou very much, I really like Motu 828 Mk2, but I still have some questoins. My motherboard is nForce2 chipset shuttle SN41G2 and it has 3 firewire port out on it. Can I use 828 mk2 with this port ? or I have to buy PCI-324 card extra ? (or pci-424)
    Thanks
    Koray

Check out the WamiRack 192L or 192X.
    or the Delta 1010.

I didn\'t know you can run Gigastudio with Sound Blaster??? GS requires GSIF drivers.

Originally posted by korayus:
    I want to buy really good soundcard for orcestral music without latency.
    As I concern that RME cards very good but I don\'t ave any idea about World Clock, ADAT, or such else.. I\'ve checked web site of RME and I found 4in 4out expantion board.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">RME cards are the best audio interface cards for running with Gigastudio. You get superb hardware with superbly designed drivers that don\'t need your system to be tweaked to get 1.5ms latency. If you want maximum flexibility, the Multiface/HDSP PCI card combo is the best way to go -- 8x 24/96 analog I/O, 1 lightpipe (8 digital 24/48 I/O), S/PDIF I/O, and Wordclock I/O. The other analog out options (AEB 8/O) only go up to 24/48 analog since it attaches to the lightpipe out of the DSP cards.

Killer,

I use the Echo Layla24 for all of my scores. The convenience of so many input and outputs plus the digital facilities makes it a great sound card/breakout box. I use it with Kontakt (Asio Drivers and have used it with Giga (GSIF drivers. I do prefer Kontakt over Giga due to the fact that a bounce to track process is so fast compared to waiting for it in real time..

Alan Russell

Owel,
    Accually GigaStudio able to work with SBLive series card (VXD driver, not WDM) on Win 98. This information is wrtitten on www.nemesysmusic.com\'s hardware compatibility section. But they are not recomending sblive with gigastudio. GSIF driver not nessesary. its nessesary, if you want low latency. Next time I\'ll post my orchestral composition which I recorded with SB Live (Emu 10k1 chipset, the oldest one [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Kleven,
    You said that, MOTU doesn\'t have midi in/out interface. However I checked motu 828\'s back picture, and there is midi in/out. Is it for different purposes? ( http://www.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/motu_828mkii_cmyk-d2cf3c338ffb5253bc09bbb8ce08c70e.jpg )

killerbobjr,
    I know RME\'s card is very powerfull, but it has only digital output. I\'m not abe to buy any digital mixer at the moment. If I use analog extention with RME, I\'m affrait of some crack sound. Because I\'m not trust DA convertor in computer case (until it\'s been in a shild, like aadvark\'s card).

What impresed me is, if I use PCI-324 card, I can use 3 X Motu 828 mk2 same time. Thats cool. And also it has own mixer.

Accually the most important thing is sound quality and latency. I\'m sure RME is the best about Latency, but if you compare with RME and Motu, what do you think?

ESI\'s wamiRack solution is very good, especially if you compare with price.... However, I\'m not sure about sound quality and Latency because of E-WDM driver.

I\'m really confused.
    Thanks all

The RME Multiface is an external breakout box that attaches to the internal HDSP PCI card. The Multiface has 8 analog inputs and outputs running at 24bits, 96KHz, also has one ADAT Lightpipe in and out for 8 channels of digital 24 bits, 48KHz, plus has wordclock in and out and one MIDI in and out. All the analog conversion is done in the external breakout box. I haven\'t heard any MOTU box side by side with an RME card, but I have never been all that impressed with the sound quality of MOTU\'s products. RME\'s sound quality is amazing, probably having a lot to do with its extremely low jitter clocks. It\'s my first choice for top of the line systems.

KorayUS

I can vouch for both the Echo Layla and the RME.

Yet according to your needs, I would agree with killerbobjr to go with a multiface, especially with the NForce 2 chipset.

The RME cards have great converters and use high quality components. Also on an nforce 2 Motherboard the RME works very well. I persoanlly can vouch to go for the RME Multiface as it will not only give you good sound quality but very low latency, with almost all applications.

I think that this is the card you should go for based on your needs.

If you want more info

Just PM or email me

Dave

Originally posted by Owel:
    I didn\'t know you can run Gigastudio with Sound Blaster??? GS requires GSIF drivers.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You can run it with SB under Win 98. You can ALSO run it under XP with third party Kx drivers. They include GSIF.

I\'ve run GigaStudio in XP with a $30 Audigy 1 card and it works great. In fact, you can pick up an Audigy 2 for about $60 now and the audio is very good.

While I would never suggest not getting a good, solid soundcard, you CAN do fine with an Audigy if you\'re short on funds.

Go Back to forum