• Register
  • Help

Topic: Intel Mac Update?

Share/Bookmark

Intel Mac Update?

Hi,
    I realise that the ball is in native instruments court at the moment, but is there any indication when we intel mac users can expect an update? I've been a GPO user for years and totally rely on it for my orchestral needs (I write music for documentaries), I adore the programme but am in a position now where I might have to go and buy something else if an update doesn't come along soon. I had to update my mac last october and stupidly didn't count on this being such a problem.

So is there any clue? Ballpark?!

And I'd just like to say I really, REALLY don't want to go buying something else, Garritan is the cat's pyjamas!

Steve
    Dublin

Re: Intel Mac Update?

join the club my friend, i'm in the same boat. the only news is that the update should be out this month, and if you REALLY REALLY need to use GPO on your mac right now i'm pretty sure that you can buy Kontakt 2. its probably around 300 bucks, and i think it comes with tons of awesome sounds, and it would probably be cheaper to buy that than a new orchestra program (and you get hundreds of cool sounds too). i don't really want any extra sounds, and i also don't want to spend more money, which is why i bought GPO and i'll be waiting for the FREE update like the countless others. but anyway, thats all i can tell you.

p.s. thats cool that you write for documentaries, i've really wanted to get into that myself, but i'm not sure how. i've got a couple songs on my site that use GPO, so if you get a chance i'd appreciate you to listen and give me your advice (good or bad). either way, don't give up and buy a new program - tough it out like the rest of us.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

so if I buy kontakt 2 I can import the gpo library?? Didn't know that
    If it's this month I'll brave it out, but it seems like people have been saying "this month" for about 6 months!
    There's some nice stuff on your myspace, particularly liked Eb Piano, nice atmospheric sound. I got into this stuff by hassling directors, producers, cameramen, and ANYONE else I knew to have a listen, it took about 2 years of hassling but eventually paid off

Thanks for the heads up on the situation!

It will work in K2 but be forwarned that their new Activation system is terrible.
    I was able to get it running on my studio machine but I cannot get a working version on my Macbook Pro. So much for live use. This is where I despise closed formats.
    Chris

The GPO will work fine in Kontakt 2.2 (the version which is MacIntel friendly). It's my understanding, though, that GPO was written for Kontakt 1.5. You might need to adjust some of the settings for some of the sounds because of this.

Regarding Kontakt 2.2 and the activation mess. Especially when this version first came out, it seemed like a lot of people had problems with the new activation process. Supposedly Native-Instruments came out with an update with the Activation Service Center which took care of some of the problematic issues. I am one of the customers which did not experience any problem with the activation process. I guess I'm lucky. Kontakt 2.2 works fine on my MacIntel machine.

As pointed out on some of the threads of this bulletin board, the update to GPO and JABB rests in the hands of Native Instruments. The Garritan.com web site indicates that the update will come this month. Of course, last month it indicated that the update was coming in February. Buttom line, though, is that it is out of the Garritan Company's hands. I eagerly await the update along with everyone else.

Luckly, I've been able to use GPO and JABB with my Logic Pro software via the MacIntel workstation with no significant problems! Both GPO and JABB are loaded on my aging Dell 650 Precision Workstation and Receptor (version B). The communication between the Apple computer and the Dell computer is through a great program called MidioverLan CP 3 by Music Lab. This network setup helps spread the work around so that I can (and do) keep a low latency! Before MacPro and this network setup, the lowest latency setting I could achieve was 512. This isn't bad, but I am able to keep everything set at 128! I guess some people work well with even lower settings. I am happy with 128!! Now that Muse Research has distributed its Universal Binary version of UniWire, I can now enjoy direct communication between the Receptor and the MacIntel machine as well. I tell you, I could not be happier.

I guess that my point is that there exists a way around the "waiting for Native Instruments" thing. If you have an old Mac or PC, load it up with the GPO and network it with the newer MacIntel machine. (If you have a PC, you can achieve direct midi communication via the MidioverLan CP 3 program.)

But. . . like everyone else, I wait. I purchased a second set of GPO and JABB specifically for my new and happy IntelMac computer. Both are unopened and unused. The moment that Mr. Garritan provides a link to the FREE Kontakt Player 2 update, I will be down loading along with everyone else! LOL! (I just hope the computer servers can take all of the downloading activity! YIKES! )
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by stellarsound
    Hi,
    I realise that the ball is in native instruments court at the moment, but is there any indication when we intel mac users can expect an update? I've been a GPO user for years and totally rely on it for my orchestral needs (I write music for documentaries), I adore the programme but am in a position now where I might have to go and buy something else if an update doesn't come along soon. I had to update my mac last october and stupidly didn't count on this being such a problem.

So is there any clue? Ballpark?!

And I'd just like to say I really, REALLY don't want to go buying something else, Garritan is the cat's pyjamas!

Steve
    Dublin
    Hi Steve,

Both JABB and GPO are in the hands of Native Instruments as Ted mentioned. All we can do is wait and annoy them on a daily basis . I am hoping this week or early next. As soon as we get it I will post immediately and let you know..

The cat's pyjamas Yes! I am wearing out my llama pajamas.

Go Back to forum