• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Balloon Girl (Tilly Losch) - Kowalski

Share/Bookmark

Balloon Girl (Tilly Losch) - Kowalski

Here's the first finished movement of a new orchestral suite I'm writing inspired by some of Joseph Cornell's boxes, quite a number of which my wife and I had the chance to see at an exhibition here in DC. We both really loved these constructions.

Balloon Girl (Tilly Losch)

At the moment I'm expecting this to be in five movements, each depicting a different box.

If you'd like to see the Tilly Losch box, I've linked it here: http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth...illy-losch.jpg

Edit: The Second in this series Hotel Eden can be found here.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Balloon Girl (Tilly Losch) - Kowalski

Hi Jamie!

Nice writing. She just....floats away at the end, doesn't she?

I enjoyed the textures you made with the strings but it was the woodwind interplay that really caught my ear in this one!

Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Hi Jamie!

Nice writing. She just....floats away at the end, doesn't she?
    Don't worry, she's ok. She's going somewhere nice.

I enjoyed the textures you made with the strings but it was the woodwind interplay that really caught my ear in this one!
    Thanks, Reegs. The winds were so exposed on this (almost wanted to say "vulnerable") that I had to really give them some extra attention. The clarinets and bassoons have a little vibrato mixed in via the aftertouch control. You can really hear this in the little bassoon line at about 0:43 for example.

Thanks for listening!
    - Jamie Kowalski

A most interesting choice of inspiration, Jamie!

As always, I'd know this was Kowalski four measures
    into the piece. But nonetheless, a very different
    Kowalski from the one I have heard lately.

Regardless of your usual economy, there's a sense
    of impressionism I don't believe I've heard from you
    before -- and I like it; plus, there's a softer edge
    to this, less formal, seemingly allowing us a larger
    glimpse into a reflective side of your mind that you
    generally unveil with more parsimony.

(A risky ending, I might note; but one which I feel
    is fitting and successful.)

I've listened through this a half dozen times, Jamie,
    today and very early this morning. Strong writing,
    of course, as always; but also the the promise of
    an enriched, and enriching, vocabulary that foretells
    a fascinating and rewarding suite.

I look forward to the completed suite, my friend!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jamie:

So well constructed, Jamie. The textures are very smooth and so well engineered. Instrumentation is exceptionally well selected and the mock-up really shows what you are trying to convey to your listening audience.

BRAVO, Jamie. Another great composition. Will look forward to more parts to this exquisite suite.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    A most interesting choice of inspiration, Jamie!
    Thanks, David. I think it's exactly what I was looking for as an inspiration for another suite of very short pieces... my favorite way to write. There are so many of his boxes to choose from, and so many different feelings I associate with them, so it will give me a chance to put together something with a lot of variation in it.

As always, I'd know this was Kowalski four measures into the piece. But nonetheless, a very different Kowalski from the one I have heard lately.
    Honestly?? FOUR MEASURES? Perhaps you mistook my 3/4 for a slow 6/8? In any case, yes this is a bit of a different side of Kowalski... much more tonal and fluid. At least one of the other movements I'm working on is dead-on "Kowalski-esque."

Regardless of your usual economy, there's a sense of impressionism I don't believe I've heard from you before -- and I like it; plus, there's a softer edge to this, less formal, seemingly allowing us a larger glimpse into a reflective side of your mind that you generally unveil with more parsimony.
    I've had a little of Debussy and Satie swirling around in my ears lately, and I think some of it leaked out here. I have to say that it's quite difficult to write a piece depicting a floating balloon-basket girl that isn't sweet and very tonal!

(A risky ending, I might note; but one which I feel is fitting and successful.)
    This is not the sort of ending I probably would have written had this been a complete work. It's definitely part and parcel of its being in a set. The section I have in mind to follow begins very energetically.

I've listened through this a half dozen times, Jamie, today and very early this morning. Strong writing, of course, as always; but also the the promise of an enriched, and enriching, vocabulary that foretells a fascinating and rewarding suite.

I look forward to the completed suite, my friend!
    Thanks for all of your thoughts on this little work. They are very much appreciated, my friend. It may be awhile before the entire set is done, but I plan to share each as they are completed, even if they appear out of order.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Okay.

I confess.

It was eight measures.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Jamie:

So well constructed, Jamie. The textures are very smooth and so well engineered. Instrumentation is exceptionally well selected and the mock-up really shows what you are trying to convey to your listening audience.

BRAVO, Jamie. Another great composition. Will look forward to more parts to this exquisite suite.

Jack
    Hi Jack!

Thanks for coming by and listening. I appreciate the comments on the engineering and mock-up, as I'm in the process of trying to streamline my workflow, and it helps to know everything is coming across clearly. I also scaled back my usual forces to a classical orchestra size (winds in pairs, two percussionists, and no piano or harp). I find that just removing those instruments makes for about half the overall work for the mock-up. Well that, and there just aren't as many notes here as I usually throw in
    - Jamie Kowalski

Very charming and amiable Jamie.
    It has a certain French Lilt to it, although not in the architecture of it's construction.

Looking forward to more from this suite.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Very charming and amiable Jamie.
    It has a certain French Lilt to it, although not in the architecture of it's construction.

Looking forward to more from this suite.

regards Joe
    Hi Joe!

Thanks for the words of appreciation. I hadn't thought of it specifically until you mentioned it, but it does somehow feel French, doesn't it? I guess it's the edge towards impressionism this piece took on as I wrote it. There's a lot of non-functional harmony, with plenty of dominant 9ths, half-diminished 7ths, etc. This is also about as tonal as I get these days.

Thanks again.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast