• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rumor Dept: Apple overhauling Logic to be a ProTools killer?

Share/Bookmark

Rumor Dept: Apple overhauling Logic to be a ProTools killer?

I ran across this on Arstechnica
    "Basically the rumor is this: There will be no Logic 8. The successor to Logic 7 will have a new name. The unnamed application will be 10.5 only and will work with a new line of touch sensitive Apple displays. Also, it will be an OMG PROTOOLS KILLER!@!! "
    Read about the rumor here:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...2007/2/27/7253

Re: Rumor Dept: Apple overhauling Logic to be a ProTools killer?

An interface similar to this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp-y3ZNaCqs

(that display ROCKS)

ProTools Killer? hmm

I think that DP is probably the closest thing to that. I know that every DAW has its loyal following, but it really seems feature-wise, there doesn't seem to be much at all that DP cannot do. Its depth is jaw-dropping.
    (rant below)
    I just wish that DP (and a lot of other DAWs) did not adopt an "analog" audio routing scheme for an all digital environment. Unless you are NEEDING to route to different machines and all that, there should be no need to know where BUS 1, 2 are routed, AUX this and that. If everything you are using is all on ONE machine (And often, all within the same application), why confuse the heck out of people?

Now, I know the NEED to know that is there - obviously only a very few people use everything on one single machine. Pros are constantly having to use other apps, and other machines in addition to their main DAW in the production of the music. But I just wish that setting up DP for playing and recording VST instruments was easy and less confusing as other apps.

That is why Tracktion rocks so much. In the default setup, the basic workspace is there and it works without having to route. If you pull down a midi instrument plugin VST, the track you place it on automatically changes to route to MIDI outs. BUT.. the cool thing is, if you need to route manually - all the BUS and AUX routing is there in all its confusing and complicated glory. That analog mentality is the single biggest thing I have against DP and 90% of the rest of the DAWs out there.

But enough ranting. That being said, DP really seems to be the killer app, if there is really one out there to dethrone ProTools.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.

DP really seems to be the killer app, if there is really one out there to dethrone ProTools.

Jerry
    Probably most composers would say the same of their DAW.
    I am a dedicated Cubase (4) user and could say the exact same thing about my software! (Pro-tools, Schmo-tools!!)

Digital audio is getting to the point where the main thing holding us back is our own incompetence, not our hardware. Sure there are exceptions, but music software today can do pretty much anything you want it to do, provided you try hard enough to get the desired results.

On the other hand, as nice and convenient MIDI sequencing is, nothing really compares to a live orchestra.

This is totally true.

I find there are some differences in features, but overall, your DAW is going to be able to produce the same END RESULT as most other DAWs, the difference is the process, interaction, interface and workflow.

So, here's to making great music - no matter which DAW you use (or none at all - you notation users! )

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

More rumors abound about this new app with its multi-touch screen. According to one speculation:
    "Not the Pro Tools thing as much- though I am curious if they can turn Logic into the audio eqivalent of Final Cut Pro- but the idea that Multi-Touch is coming to Pro Apps (and displays!) is big."

"With this in mind, I think the “secret” feature that Jobs has been hinting at with Leopard but has to date been unnanounced is system wide Multi-touch across the board in 10.5. The fact that ALL Apple hardware is due for a refresh seems to coincide nicely with this new ability.
    It’s not science fiction, the tech is currently shipping.... I think Job’s plans for multi-touch will go further than simply widening a scroll bar so you can fist it. Can’t wait to see how this shakes down, buI have a very good feeling this is what’s coming down the pipe in a big, big way."
    Maybe we're about to see a whole new way of computing...

Hi!
    The touch screen tech looks promising, and entirely possible, especially given the iPhone. Watching the keynote Jobs gave, and how he went on about the touchscreen aspect of it, it completely makes sense to bring this to a larger scale such as displays for his computer line.

As to the PT killer thing...
    Well, I am a PT HD user. I love Pro Tools. I have owned and used most of the major apps at one point or another (Cubase from ver 1 on Windows 3 up thru Cubase SX 1.2; Cakewalk from ver 2 up to Cake Audio 5 or 6; Logic for it's entiire PC life; Digital Peformer from ver 3; my fav before PT, PARIS; and several other lesser known ones that do not even exist anymore). I have not ever, and will not ever, tell someone else what app is best for them. I will not ever say that it is a fact that app X is better than app Y. It is all entirely subjective.

Fact: Digi has a major piece of the pie with Pro Tools, simply because of the number of pro facilities that have it in place.

Why do I love PT? Uncluttered. Digital Peformer has got to be one of the most cluttered apps out there. If someone could ever show me how to use DP in a fashion similar to Pro Tools, where I can do all the things I can without having to be-bop through a dozen windows the entire time, I am completely open to seeing this. I own DP 5.x right now. I have tried to figure out how to minimize the windows being used. I have tried to use all of those apps to perform simple tasks in a simple way. Pro Tools is th eonly one that made sense, except for PARIS, which could have been great.

Why do I hate PT? The hardware strong-arming. The HUGE gap in feature set between HD and LE, with no true middle ground, and no way to attain the feature set of HD without selling what you own and buying up into HD, solely to be able to have those features. I wish the MIDI editing were better. Give me one more window- one for more full featured MIDI editing, and I would be in heaven. Put delay comp in LE, and I would opt for it over HD...ok, maybe not (the automation in LE is, erm, crippled a bit too much IMO...like many other things in LE unfortunately).

As far as things like bussing that one poster mentioned...this is a reason I sold Nuendo 3. I wiated and waited for Nuendo to provide a set of tools that would surpass PT. Granted, it has strong areas, as any app does. But for me, the features and workflows I feel natural using are impossible to accompish 100% in Nuendo. Routing was HUGE. I like having a dialogue or window in which I can set up a preliminary routing matirx. I like to have internal busses to connect one thing to another. Sidechaining, infinite loop bussing between multiple tracks, etc. To feed one track from another. To right-click on any input or output name and rename it on the fly, and have that reflected throughout the mixer. I love logical flows, ones that allow me to visualize the imaginary flowchart the mixer really is. Oddly, Logic allows this, but in such a complicated manner...ok, maybe just in an unintuitive manner for me...well, once again- give a window showing the buss, and what it is named, and how "wide" it is. Show my ins. Show my outs. Show my inserts. One step I/O management, and I only see it it once and then close it and compose to my heart's content.

I'd love to find something as another option, I truly would. To be without options is horrible. Yes, there are others...but I have tried them, and they are all missing things critical to how I have grown accustomed to working. Digital Peformer COULD be it. Logic COULD be it. Maybe I will have to "build my own..."

Go Back to forum