• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Mouse Control Program for Strad, etc.

Share/Bookmark

Mouse Control Program for Strad, etc.

(Dear community,

I have posted in the Sample Instruments section about a mouse control program I wrote for Strad and Gofriller, and perhaps GPO and JABB eventually.) It can be downloaded from http://download.yousendit.com/AAF7F4E07BA4565A. I plan to add at least a few new things, so if you have any suggestions, let me know!

Jason

Dear community,

I have been inspired by Gary's Strad and upcoming Cello, and have thought about how I would like to control the libraries (also, I don't have a Mod or Pitch Bend wheel, or any pedals or aftertouch, so this is a necessity from that perspective), and have come up with a (crazy?) scheme to control those things using the mouse. The way it works is that you move the mouse up and down for expression, and you oscillate (or, perhaps, shake) it in the lateral direction for vibrato control. The speed at which you shake it controls the aftertouch, and the amplitude of your oscillation controls the modulation. So you can control the vibrato in a physically similar way that a string player would (well, kinda).

Also, you can assign keyswitches to the mouse button, for single and double clicks (so, on a mouse with a middle button, you can do 6). You can assign bow change (via a sustain pedal signal), and pitch bend, too (for pitch bend, I think you will hold down a mouse button and move the mouse up and down, and when you are done, release the button.

I have written a program to do all this, which uses MIDI-OX to send its messages to a virtual port. I am really excited, because I think that this can greatly benefit many users here (as well as my own musical endeavors), so I will make it available to the forum soon. It is pretty much done, and just needs testing and refinement, as well as adjustments to the way it can work for various people's tastes. This could also be adapted to work for GPO and JABB,I think.

If anyone would like to test it out (not sure if this is beta or alpha), please reply to this post or PM me, If you want to discuss this, you can also reply to the post.

Edit: The vibrato function is not quite where I want it, so keep that in mind when you play with it. I will work on getting it there.

Also, I have updated this first post with the following important info: (1) you need to use something like MIDI Yoke, and map a virtual out port (using the yoke) from the MIDI-OX window that pops up when the program runs to your sequencer or Kontakt or whatever.

(2) How to use the customize screen:
    a) The first tab controls what the mouse x and mouse Y motion controls as well as what the buttons do. There is a special motion called "vibrato" that you assign to X or Y. This is accomplished by moving the mouse back and forth on that axis. The speed of that motion will control one thing, and the amplitude will control another. You can assign what they control at the bottom of the first tabs (the controls only appear when you select vibrato in one of the boxes at the top).

b) The second tab allows you to create your own controls, which can be assigned in the first tab. Enter a name for your controller, the type (which must be either "KS" or "CC"), and a number (which is either the keyswitch key or the CC number). Note that switch-type CCs will only work with the mouse buttons, and ranged CCs will only work with the X-Y axis movements.

c) The third tab controls some mouse sensitivity parameters. More will be put here.

d) The fourth tab allows to specify the output channel.

Jason
    Jason

Re: Mouse Control Program for Strad, etc.

I will try to post a link to the program this evening or tomorrow. It should be able to function with GPO. The support for vibrato is not quite there yet.

Jason

I'll volunteer to test it.

As a usability designer I have a lot of interest in controllers and it seems as if you've taken an interewsting approach.

While the mouse, per se, may not be the best tool for controlling VI's I think that you are on to something with the idea of controlling multiple dimensions at once.

The mouse gives you X and Y coordinates, a scroll wheel and three buttons which would allow for a lot of simultaneous control.

I have midi ox but assume I would need to download midi yoke to connect with the VI.

I own strad, JABB and GPO.

Charlie
    (day job)
    CEO, Cognetics Corporation

www.cognetics.com
    (night job)
    musician

Quote Originally Posted by CBK780
    I'll volunteer to test it.

As a usability designer I have a lot of interest in controllers and it seems as if you've taken an interewsting approach.

While the mouse, per se, may not be the best tool for controlling VI's I think that you are on to something with the idea of controlling multiple dimensions at once.

The mouse gives you X and Y coordinates, a scroll wheel and three buttons which would allow for a lot of simultaneous control.

I have midi ox but assume I would need to download midi yoke to connect with the VI.

I own strad, JABB and GPO.

Charlie
    Thanks Charlie! I am working on getting the program together and will post a link to it tonight or tomorrow. Yes, midi yoke will be necessary for virtual midi ports.

Jason

Jason,

This Mouse Control Program will be very useful for users. Thanks for going through all the trouble and effort to do this. Controllers are always problematic as not all keyboards are the same. As developers we try programming to the least common denominator, but find that that does not always work. But almost everyone has a mouse.

You are providing a very imaginative and creative workaround. And even having this as an additional controller would be of help.

Looking forward to trying this. Thanks again for providing this benefit.

The creativity,talent and helpfulness in this forum never ceases to amaze me.

My best,

Gary Garritan

I have uploaded the program. You can get it from this link: http://download.yousendit.com/A6B572BD502C426A for 7 days. I will find something more permanent soon.

More documentation will come in a few days or less. The main thing to know is to click customize on the toolbar to set your controls, then close the window. The main window is all grey - move and click your mouse around in that window to use the controls. Be sure to keep the focus on that window; other windows on top and in the way will interrupt the control.

Also - the vibrato function is not all the way there yet - it looks like it will be choppy. I will be trying to improve it in the near future.

Hope you have fun with it!
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Jason,

This Mouse Control Program will be very useful for users. Thanks for going through all the trouble and effort to do this. Controllers are always problematic as not all keyboards are the same. As developers we try programming to the least common denominator, but find that that does not always work. But almost everyone has a mouse.

You are providing a very imaginative and creative workaround. And even having this as an additional controller would be of help.

Looking forward to trying this. Thanks again for providing this benefit.

The creativity,talent and helpfulness in this forum never ceases to amaze me.

My best,

Gary Garritan
    Thanks for the encouraging words, Gary. You and the community are quite welcome. I do hope a lot of people will benefit from it.

Jason

Hi all. I have improved the program, including the vibrato feature, and exterminated some bugs. The new link is: http://download.yousendit.com/AAF7F4E07BA4565A.

Jason

Interesting idea!

Bravo!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Dear All - I have made some more improvements, including better vibrato control and the ability to use the mouse wheel to reduce the controller range that vertical and horizontal (oops, I mean x and y ) movement is mapped to. The idea is that you can control macro-level dynamic contours of the song, and then do a quick scroll of the wheel, which lets you control the detail more minutely for a particular note, then you can zoom back out. It also limits the amount of movement along one axis that vibrato along the other axis inevitably causes. I'll post an mp3 example of the controller in use soon.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/...%203-21-07.zip

Mp3 example: played in real-time, if I played it again I would add more vibrato, but here it is as I played it with the only controllers my keyboard and the mouse (though I did move some notes around in the editor, shortened, fixed a wrong pitch, but no CC changes). BTW - can you guess the song? It is pretty famous.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/...ryconcerto.MP3

Go Back to forum