• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gs3 / Gvi ?

Share/Bookmark

Question Gs3 / Gvi ?

Hi there first post and hello

Looking to get into the 'giga world'

I spose I'm looking for shortcuts really.

I'm very much put off by the obvious deficiencies that GS3 has working on the windows platform on the same machine and it looks like GSI is a more stable friendlier version

Without having to trawl through stuff can anyone maybe come up with a quick definitive list of things that GS3 can do but GVI cannot and vice versa

It would be a great help and save a lot of time for anybody like me who is ready to move into this field but is unaware of many of the historical aspects of the product .

Im a bit scared at the moment because GS3 does not seem to be the happiest of products in its current envoirment and I want to be getting on with writing rather pulling my hair out fixing computer problems

Many thanks in advance

Re: Gs3 / Gvi ?

With GVI you cannot make your own samples or do major edits of existing ones.. You also do not get the full GigaPulse with GVI, so you can only use convolutions that come with the program, which is very limiting.

As long as you aren't making samples yourself, I'd wager GVI would probably do everything you would need, except the convolution reverb component. For a full blown convolution reverb, if you don't already have one, you could look at GigaPulse VST as an option, but another that is well-respected (and very cheap!!) is Voxengo's Pristine Space.. I use Altiverb 6 for my convolution personally.. it is very expensive but has an amazing IR library and does a much better job than GigaPulse I have found..

thanks for that dalek

Quote Originally Posted by gsharp
    Hi there first post and hello

I'm very much put off by the obvious deficiencies that GS3 has working on the windows platform on the same machine and it looks like GSI is a more stable friendlier version

Without having to trawl through stuff can anyone maybe come up with a quick definitive list of things that GS3 can do but GVI cannot and vice versa

It would be a great help and save a lot of time for anybody like me who is ready to move into this field but is unaware of many of the historical aspects of the product .

Im a bit scared at the moment because GS3 does not seem to be the happiest of products in its current envoirment and I want to be getting on with writing rather pulling my hair out fixing computer problems

Many thanks in advance
    Have you considered Kontakt?

There's a lot of good music being made in that world.

Not the best approach, in any situation...

It's not correct to say that GS3 has "obvious deficiencies...working on the windows platform on the same machine." If you read through the giga archives (which you really should do, to get a true sense of what sort of experience is actually awaiting you), you'll see that plenty of people enjoy rock-solid systems that include GS3 and everything else. Others (myself included) have set up multiple-bootable-partition systems that work just fine. Still others (with the most cash on hand) have multi-computer setups.

Read through the Giga subforum archives here. Use the "search" function to read the countless posts (including plenty of mine) that explain the differences between GS3 and GVI, and the relative advantages of both. Once you start reading through the threads here, you'll know which terms you should be following up with using the Seach function...

One of the problems with seeking shortcuts and avoiding "trawling" is that you will miss all of the detail, nuance, and variety of experience that you will be subjected to once you get started... regardless of whether you actually know what you're doing. Better to learn as much as you can up front from as many viewpoints as possible.

This exact question has already been asked and answered plenty of times, right here. Seek, and ye shall find...

Don't kid yourself. If you get seriously involved with sample-based music, on any platform, you will experience "computer problems" . . . whether it's driver conflicts, hardware/software incompatibilities, memory constraints, or just CPU overload from trying to play an entire orchestra at once... Depending upon what kind of music you plan to make, what kind of instruments you plan to use, and so forth, you may very easily find yourself testing your computer's limits.

Every complex application has bugs, flaws, and inherent weirdnesses. Kontakt users have plenty of problems, too.

Plus, the next generation of giga (including GVI and GS4) should be coming soon, so who knows what the future will hold...

You should definitely get involved with this kind of music, and this kind of music creation, but you should not jump into a potentially very expensive hobby/profession via decisions based upon half-hearted attempts to get easy answers to complex questions.

NSS is a good place to learn. I knew nothing about Giga when I arrived here. There are a lot of smart people around... some of them are even nice, too!!

They (and I) have already devoted a lot of time and energy answering the (perfectly legitimate) questions that you ask here. Hit the archives... read a bit about what others here have already gone through. It will do you infinitely more good than a quick, short-cut answer will.

Good luck!!
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3
    I use Altiverb 6 for my convolution personally.. it is very expensive but has an amazing IR library and does a much better job than GigaPulse I have found..
    I'm curious - when you say that Altiverb "does a much better job than GigaPulse", can you expand on what aspect(s) you find this to be true? For example, have you found that it

1) Performs better (less CPU usage, etc.)?
    2) Just plain sounds 'better' under similar circumstances? (although this is quite subjective and probably pretty difficult to make a true A/B comparison)
    3) Is easier to use?

I'm a GigaPulse user, and definitely not trying to start a fight or anything - just curious about your experiences since I have heard a lot of great things about Altiverb but have never used it personally.

- Chris
    Intel E6600, 4 GB RAM, WinXP Pro, M-Audio Audiophile 192, Cubase 4.5.1, GVI 3.64, Kontakt 3.0.2

Hey Stephen,

I know that you can play stacked and keyswitched instruments, and that stacking is the same drag'n'drop process in GVI as GS3.

I'll inquire regarding whether you can create keyswitched instruments in GVI.

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Hi Stephen,

Alan is right that you can drag and drop a stack in GVI, and then you can make it switchable based on keyswitches or controllers.

As far as GS4 (or whatever it might be called) goes, I haven't heard anything yet. I'll be at NAB next month and I expect to talk with the Tascam guys there. Based on my conversation with them last year, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't support 64-bits, but based on the slow take up of Vista, it will need to be 32-bit compatible as well.

Considering that a Mac GVI version is in the works, it's even possible that there will be three OSs for them to work with. We will see...

My prediction is that we will hear more about the Mac GVI, but we will have to wait longer for announcements about the next gen product.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    Alan, Jon,

Thanks for the reply - I will keep my eye on these threads for any further info - I think I am still eligible for the GS3 user's discount of GVI - or have they dropped that?

Stephen
    I'm not sure. It's a great deal though - especially if you want to run Giga libs that you already own, and you want to stay far, far away from kernel programming.

It uses a dongle, which I like 'cause I have the freedom to move it to any machine. I understand that not everybody likes 'em, and often for valid reasons.

One of the biggest advantages is that you don't need to authenticate through Tascam. I loaded my serial number, and it automatically sync'd with the Syncrosoft server. Others claim that their key was preloaded. Either way, it's painless.

Best,

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    A dongle, hmmm... I wonder of the dongle will run on a hub?
    Yes. Mine is on a Belkin F5U021 4-port hub.

BTW, the dongle is the same as VSL's. Rather than combine the licenses, I have two Syncrosoft keys - one (GVI's) on the hub, the other plugged into the mobo...

Go Back to forum