• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT - Styxx gets his ticker checked.

Share/Bookmark

OT - Styxx gets his ticker checked.

Yeah, I guess it had to happen sooner or later. Anywho ... Had to go for a stress test last Tuesday (cause me ticker was a ticking a little harder than usual) they found some abnormalities (like we could have told them without the test, right?) Well, yesterday I had to go back for another stress test this time with the injections of radioactive materials so they can take pictures of me heart. (Wouldn't put me down for some wallet size though, cheapskates!)
    I gather some of you have gone through this so this may seem miniscule. Nevertheless, it was quite an experience. First, they put ten sensor thingies on me chest (ooo, cold!) Next, they inject me with the first isotope solution. (I'm now an official dirty bomb. ) Next, lay me down on a Star Trek type of imagining machine and tell me to be vewy, vewy, still ... We're hunting whythms! Bones came in with nuse Chaplin and began the procedure. I fell asleep. Best rest I've ever had! Dreamt of being a searchlight for the cost off Cape Cod! After the imaging, it was off to the stair stepper (complete with Daisy Fuentes taking my blood pressure.) Well, first off ... I know no one who walks up a steep hill at such a fast pace! Heck, it was full speed ahead!
    "Any chest pains sir?"
    Wait, turn it up a few hundred miles an hour and I'll give you some chest pains!
    Well, Hemmingway, I made it through (for the second time). Went and sat down for half an hour and was told to make sure I drink at least one full cup of water. I had two! After walking 100 miles up a mountain in 50 seconds I needed two cups of water!
    Now it was off to the imaging machine again to finish taking pictures. Nurse Chaplin came in again an this time hooked up a few sensors on me left side and again told me to lay still. Pretty cool machine! I left a GPO sticker on its bumper. This thing wrapped around me with two rather large square devices which moved slightly to the left every twenty-two seconds. Didn't fall asleep this time BECAUSE THE SQUARE DEVICE ON THE RIGHT PINCHED MY RIGHT ARM! "Oh, we're so sorry". Yeah, right! Had to start all over. No matter. After all was completed I was sent home to wait for the results from me doctor.
    I can just hear him now.
    "Abby - Normal?"
    BTW - I was told I can't cross the border to Canada without a doctor’s written explanation why home security detects radioactive substances in me body for at least three weeks! Guess the Canadian Ballet can wait.
    Should know of the results by Wednesday. Probably need to install a new driver. Wish me luck!
    Styxx

Re: OT - Styxx gets his ticker checked.

The dreaded stress test.

Ah yes, I needed to undergo this a few years back because of chest pains.. as it turns out, it was a nasty virus, which medication took care of.
    Still, the test itself did provide one good bit of information. How terribly out of shape I was! I thought I was going to die on that damn tread mill. .. And the embarrassing thing was, I was only in my mid thirties!

The solution injection (MRI?) you mentioned isn't something I've experienced personally, but I'm very much aware of it. Not fun...

As scary as these tests are.... it's absolutely better to check things out early rather than wait until it's too late.

My thoughts will be with you during this time.

Take care Styxx!

~Jeff

As per usual, your sense of humor is king. But on a serious note, keep us posted as to how you are doing. I'm a fairly young guy and I've been through all kinds of testing and diagnostics, much like you have mentioned, for my heart as it sometimes seems to have a mind of it's own and decides to run at it's own pace regardless of what I'm doing. Mostly arrythmic heart beats of atrial fibrillation and the occasional, straight-on tachicardia. My doctors have all told me that it seems to be benign stuff and not to worry. Really had me shaken up for a while though. Turns out that the arrhythmias have pretty much gone away since I completed my divorce. Hmm , go figure. Lol. Anyway, like I said, keep us posted and I'll be thinkin of you till then.

Eric

Hi Styxx!
    I'm so sorry to hear your ticker trouble. Those tests are no fun at all - I think that the Dr.'s get some kind of joy out of watching everybody do it. I also think that they put those sensors in the freezer for about 10 minutes right before your appointment so that they're extra cold. All joking aside, I hope that you will be ok I'll pray for you
    Take Care,
    Steph

Yeah, that's what I get for giving up playing drums and composing. Me internal rhytm goes off beat!
    Thanks for the well wishes! Ezz kind of scary though but hey ... Maybe the Wizard can give me a heart!
    Styxx

I'm sorry to hear about that Styxx. Let's face it, it can be hugely stressful knowing something's wrong.

I couldn't even persuade anyone to give me any tests. I had what I thought was a heart attack last December - it felt like three grown men standing on my chest. An ambulance took me into accident and emergency, where they decided it wasn't a heart attack and promptly discharged me. Whatever it was left me completely screwed up. My stomach now goes up and down with my pulse, I was completely constipated for several weeks after the attack, and I get strong chest pains which occasionally radiate to my left arm. Added to that I sometimes wake up and my heart seems to be fluttering at about 300b.p.m. - when this happens I can't find an actual pulse anywhere - it's like my heart is just flapping about but not pumping.

I've been back to a doctor to tell him all this. He told me the chest pains are probably just the ligaments in my chest complaining about the weight they're taking, my arm pains are just referred tendinitis, the stomach going up and down by an inch is a perfectly normal twitch, etc. Bearing in mind I've just come down to 200lb from 336lb, I think I'm a fairly high risk individual, yet all he did was check my blood pressure, and assure me that, at my age, there's no way anything is wrong with my heart or arteries yet. That's the problem with having a national health service. They seem to have an extremely high threshold for actually doing anything. If I was paying I'm sure I'd have had dozens of tests already.

Well, good luck, my friend. We don't need any heart attacks! Just Styxx attacks on Drums!

What a drag! But, it's better to know this way than to find out there are problems the other way. Hope the news is good, and/or if they find anything, that there is a solution.

Now, where did you put the GPO sticker? On the machine, or the nurse?
    Either way, I'm sure we'll have some new forum members as a result.

Hang in there, and best of luck!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Fingers crossed here for you, Styxx!
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I'm sorry to hear about that Styxx. Let's face it, it can be hugely stressful knowing something's wrong.

I couldn't even persuade anyone to give me any tests. I had what I thought was a heart attack last December - it felt like three grown men standing on my chest. An ambulance took me into accident and emergency, where they decided it wasn't a heart attack and promptly discharged me. Whatever it was left me completely screwed up. My stomach now goes up and down with my pulse, I was completely constipated for several weeks after the attack, and I get strong chest pains which occasionally radiate to my left arm. Added to that I sometimes wake up and my heart seems to be fluttering at about 300b.p.m. - when this happens I can't find an actual pulse anywhere - it's like my heart is just flapping about but not pumping.

I've been back to a doctor to tell him all this. He told me the chest pains are probably just the ligaments in my chest complaining about the weight they're taking, my arm pains are just referred tendinitis, the stomach going up and down by an inch is a perfectly normal twitch, etc. Bearing in mind I've just come down to 200lb from 336lb, I think I'm a fairly high risk individual, yet all he did was check my blood pressure, and assure me that, at my age, there's no way anything is wrong with my heart or arteries yet. That's the problem with having a national health service. They seem to have an extremely high threshold for actually doing anything. If I was paying I'm sure I'd have had dozens of tests already.
    Holly Cripes! What's the problem with your doctor!? I would find another primary right away and get a second opinion. National health service? Wow! Time to rethink?
    You know what I think is happening here? We have too many birthdays on this forum. Way to much cake in such a short period!
    Hope you feel top shape soon!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum