• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Which Woodwinds library is best?

Share/Bookmark

Which Woodwinds library is best?

i know....everytime the same questions but i can choose from one of these libraries for woodwinds:

- Sonivox Woodwinds
    - Westgatestudios Oboe and Flute (waiting for the rest)
    - VSL (VI or Pro Edition)
    - Ewqlso Platinum Pro Xp (woodwinds section)

as you can see i have the budget to buy a good library but i'm a bit confused...and i really would like a good sounding library and easy to use. Thank you

Re: Which Woodwinds library is best?

This thread might be helpful as a start:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...highlight=opus
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

I think, as more librarys you use, as more difficult is it to find the right sound.

I am a guitarplayer and I have got many effects for it. Sometimes it is very difficult to me to decide what sound is better to use for this song now.

Also there is no "best" effect for my guitar there is no "best" samplelibrary... .

It is always a question about the sound that you want at last in the result.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I am participating in a Professional Orchestration Class offered by Peter Alexander. So far, we have completed assignments to compose solo pieces for flute and oboe.

Of course, the most important thing is the composition, followed closely by the ability of the artist to perform in MIDI, and the skilled application of reverb and audio mixing/mastering skills.

The library has been *almost* secondary. I've heard some good works with Garage Band. I've heard some with VSL and EWQLSO that were so-so.

But for my money, nothing beats Westgate. Period. There were some good works with VSL, as well as EWQL and GPO. (Yes, GPO fared VERY well.) But Westgate has it all - legato, expression, tone and a wide variety of articulations. You can play everything with a single legato patch (as I did on my oboe piece), or use fluttertongue, trills, staccatos, runs, etc (as I did on my flute piece).

Also, Westgate is very inexpensive to try out. For $70 you can download the flute, oboe (or horn). If you like it, you can buy the DVDs and/or other downloads. That's much less that the cost to play your first note with GPO, VSL or EWQL. (Of course, you get much more than a single instrument with those purchases.)

One has to be cautious to not create more of a problem than the one you're trying to solve. The more expensive, larger libraries require alot of adapting to - both for machine and user. also, much of the immediacy is lost.

Many years ago I took on a leisure student, who is still a good friend and now a fine guitarist and musician. When he became more and more interested of hearing his four part arrangements and orchestrate the parts, I told him to get Cubasis VST (the lightest version) and the Roland SC-88 Sound Canvas, which offers 32 simultaneous MIDI channels/instruments.

It was just the package with the best 'sound/price/useage' ratio I could think of. And it worked; it kept his concentration where it belonged: on the music, away from technique.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    i know....everytime the same questions but i can choose from one of these libraries for woodwinds:

- Sonivox Woodwinds
    - Westgatestudios Oboe and Flute (waiting for the rest)
    - VSL (VI or Pro Edition)
    - Ewqlso Platinum Pro Xp (woodwinds section)

as you can see i have the budget to buy a good library but i'm a bit confused...and i really would like a good sounding library and easy to use. Thank you
    If you have the budget and your looking for the best overall WW library then VSL is indisputably what you would want . Of all the praise VSL gets, their WW's get the most. So no need to wait anymore - just get the VSL now

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    If you have the budget and your looking for the best overall WW library then VSL is indisputably what you would want . Of all the praise VSL gets, their WW's get the most. So no need to wait anymore - just get the VSL now
    I agree.

I've only heard the Westgate Oboe and was not impressed with the demos. Maybe the instrument has improved since then and maybe the other ones are better. However, I can say that VSL VI is great.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    One has to be cautious to not create more of a problem than the one you're trying to solve. The more expensive, larger libraries require alot of adapting to - both for machine and user. also, much of the immediacy is lost.
    With the Westgate Modular libs, I have had the opposite experience. I love fast runs on woodwinds, but libs without legato often stumble on anything faster than pads. I used to dislike most everything I wrote for woodwinds.

Westgate includes five dynamic layers in the legato patches, so you can just load and play: fast, slow, legato, staccato, you name it. Of course, you need another patch for fluttertongue or overblowing, and they are there as needed.

I typically play the flute/oboe in live a phrase or two at a time, so having a single playable patch is critical for me. Once I get the piece to flow and have the right dynamics, I can worry about switching in other articulation later. On the other hand, if I don't have a playable patch that sounds and feels good, I'm doomed.

VSL is the other contender, as it also has real legato samples. GPO's legato isn't as nuanced for a final recording, but sounded reasonably fluid.

Unfortunately, libs that always play regular attacks sound like keyboards on fast runs. Legato (either real or simulated) is really necessary for good woodwind playability, IMHO.

Have you guys forgotten my woodwinds? The Dan Dean Solo Woodwinds? More layers than the competition, better recordings, etc..

DD

dandean,

Do you have a link? I am looking to improve and add on to my strings (I will be purchasing your set asap), woodwinds and brass.

Mike

Go Back to forum