• Register
  • Help

Topic: Getting out midi sounds to work with GPO!

Share/Bookmark

Wink Getting out midi sounds to work with GPO!

In the tutorial of GPO "Garingtan Personal Orchestra" it says I can play midi while using the feature of GPO realistic sounds. But it doesn't work I have set yes to sibelius to play general midi to but it seems to not work or I am doing something wrong. Tambourine was not an option for me to get playing in GPO so I have to use midi for that. Can someone tell me to get midi sounds to play with GPO sounds I would appreaciate it cause in playback it only plays GPO sounds and not midi or I have to turn off GPO to get midi sounds but I want general midi and GPO playing at the same time. If someone knows how to do this please tell me things.

sincerly Jcomp

Re: Getting out midi sounds to work with GPO!

Ok maybe I'm not saying it right. I want to play general midi while playing GPO at the same time, has anyone achieved this method because I am trying to but it won't let me do either or. I can only play back general midi or the GPO. I was wondering if someone has achieved this how did they go about doing this method. If you do please tell me I would greately appreciate it.

JG, I'm sorry you're going through such frustration. I've never used a notation program like Sibelius, but rather music recording programs like Sonar which give you more control over your music and have greater flexibility for molding recordings.

So I don't know why it's difficult to have another synth besides GPO playing at the same time in Sibelius--it's very straight forward in Sonar and Cubase. I've had GPO playing at the same time as ten other synths in some of my Sonar projects.

I did have a question though, you said, "...Tambourine was not an option for me to get playing in GPO..."--And apparently you wanted to use a General MIDI tambourine instead. Why? The Tambourine in GPO is excellent. Actually the best Tamb I've ever heard. Why don't you want to use it?

I hope a Sibelius user here helps you out.

Randy
    rbowser

Hey thanks for answering actually when I try to look in instrument samples I don't see a tambourine either that or I need to update something. if you have it in your samples maybe I need to update. This is why I wanted to get general midi to play that because I don't see it in GPO, or maybe its under a wierd name I can't figure out .

Hello again, JGcomposer

There's a special edition of GPO made for Sibelius, correct?--and so perhaps it's instrument selection and layout is different from the regular GPO edition that I use.

But in standard GPO, the Tambourine sounds, both a pop and shake, are in the "Percussion Toys" instrument file, along with shakers, gourds, cowbells, claves, ratchet, sleigh bells, marktree, castanets and triangle short and long.

Randy
    rbowser

I don't use Sibeleus, but I do use Overture and have no trouble with GPO and other sound sources. Does Sibeleus see the sound card or synth that you want to play GM on? If not, you need to figure out why.

If it does see the synth, then do you have the individual staff set to play on the correct synth and the correct midi channel? The staves on the notation program correspond to the tracks on a sequencer program such as Sonar - you have to be sure the staff/track is set to the correct midi channel.
    juan

Quote Originally Posted by JGCOMPOSER
    In the tutorial of GPO "Garingtan Personal Orchestra" it says I can play midi while using the feature of GPO realistic sounds. But it doesn't work I have set yes to sibelius to play general midi to but it seems to not work or I am doing something wrong. Tambourine was not an option for me to get playing in GPO so I have to use midi for that. Can someone tell me to get midi sounds to play with GPO sounds I would appreaciate it cause in playback it only plays GPO sounds and not midi or I have to turn off GPO to get midi sounds but I want general midi and GPO playing at the same time. If someone knows how to do this please tell me things.

sincerly Jcomp

JG,

I'm not sure which version of Sibelius you are using - 4? 3? Are you using the crossgrade? In any event, do the following:
    Set up your score, and load the parts that use GPO, having selected GPO Studio - or if you are using the crossgrade, Kontakt - as your playback device. Do this under Playback Devices.
    Next, you should see another playback device - DLS if you are on a Mac, not sure what it is called on a PC. In the column on the right, select General Midi for the soundset.
    Go to the Mixer, and make sure you have assigned the GPO instruments to the appropriate staves.
    For the non-GPO staves, click on that instrument in the Mixer, and on the right choose the playback device (DLS, etc.); then you can choose the correct instrument from the drop-down list.
    Hit Play, and hopefully you'll be happy.

Hpe that is clear.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum