• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Thoughts on EW Platinum... :-/

Share/Bookmark

Thoughts on EW Platinum... :-/

Ok. I hope I won't get burned for this...

I'm not posting in SOL forum, exactly cause I'm looking for unbiased opinions. I'm not advertising anything regarding EW, so hope NSS forums don't mind really.

I was interested what is your opinion on Platinum (and xp pro as well). Is it REALLY worth it? Not money wise, I mean the hard disk space, the more than 1 computers, the 3 mic positions.

I have Gold + xp pro from which I'm quite happy, so what extra do I get with Platinum if I bite the bullet?
    i. 24 bit. Yup ok, but my soundcard atm is 16 bit, so no use here. Of course I will upgrade one day to a better sound card (if I find the money, after getting Platinum though...)
    ii. 3 mic positions. Yes, I know, I understand. However I think that most people don't really use the surround mics, after all with a good reverb and careful planning you can imitate that... The close mics, are there for presicion and not solo work (from EW officials quote). I don't have 5.1 surround, and don't plan getting one any time soon. If I had that I wouldn't even think about it...
    iii. More velocity layers. Yup, and Gold sometimes is unsatisfactory in that term, but generally it's...ok

I have Gold, and I am quite happy with it (with the occasional verabl abuse of my computer of course...) and I do know that the leap from Silver to Gold is a great one, semitone apart samples, more velocity layers, many more articulations.

So is Gold->Platinum, what is Silver->Gold? (More or less)...

Question Re: Thoughts on EW Platinum... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    iii. More velocity layers. Yup, and Gold sometimes is unsatisfactory in that term, but generally it's...ok
    Uh, I'm not so sure about that. As I understand it, what you have in gold is what you will get in Platinum, just 24-bit and with the 3 mics. Where did you read that?

James
    "PRODUCER TO ARTIST: I don't care if that grace note on the snare hit in bar 9085 works! This is dub 'n bass acid house penis, not ~~~~ing house dub 'n acid bass penis with a twist!" - Nick Batzdorf

Re: Thoughts on EW Platinum... :-/

Manual page 61. (the xp pro manual).

The quantity and programming of articulation files varies with the 3 editions. Not only Platinum have many more files than Gold, and Gold than Silver, but the programming of the files can be different, even when, for example, Gold and Platinum have files with identical names. In other words, when you upgrade you are not only getting more articulations, but the sound of many of the files you already own will be improved, as well. This is usually accomplished by programming in more samples-for example, more velocity layers-in an articulation file...
    don't know if the above is reffering only to Silver-Gold, but it certainly does imply the more velocity layers.

However members of SOL with K2 have seen the mapping of the layers in K2 and it appears that Gold and Platinum are the same :-/ I personally have no idea, just based on the manual...

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Manual page 61. (the xp pro manual).

don't know if the above is reffering only to Silver-Gold, but it certainly does imply the more velocity layers.

However members of SOL with K2 have seen the mapping of the layers in K2 and it appears that Gold and Platinum are the same :-/ I personally have no idea, just based on the manual...
    Hmm, they should really fix that because it's incredibly misleading. AFAIK, both Platinum and Gold both have the same amount of samples per instrument. HOWEVER, what I think this may be saying is that the programming itself was changed to give the feel of more Velocity layers without there actually being any more samples.

James
    "PRODUCER TO ARTIST: I don't care if that grace note on the snare hit in bar 9085 works! This is dub 'n bass acid house penis, not ~~~~ing house dub 'n acid bass penis with a twist!" - Nick Batzdorf

meh. if you have Gold Pro XP I'd say you're covered from East West and look at diversifying with another lib like VSL, Kirk Hunter, or SoniVox. Or even SAM Brass (gawd help us if they ever release a fullout orchestral lib. I'm there!)

I'm with davecos here... Unless there are more velocity layers in Platinum?..

Hey Buddy,

as a fellow EW user, I have thought about the upgrade as well, but I have decided to diversify my orchestral library the next time I can spend some cash on it, possibly sonivox. I agree with the other posts, that the money may be better used in getting a different library to compliment EW. Sweet, best of luck
    www.energiestudios.com

Indeed,

I think the above posts are wise. Thank you all, and thanks crossingsounds as well.

PS. So much money, will definately get me a keyboard and some monitors So much needed...

I have the same understanding as James - Gold and Platinum have the exact same amount of velocity layers.

I gather that once EW get their PLAY system sorted then the idea is that you can purchase other instruments & articulations from different mic sets online and download them. At least that's how it read. I personally have no need for the whole of Platinum but I would like certain instruments from the far and close mic sets. The idea is a good one if this is how its going to work.
    Trev Parks

Go Back to forum