• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone else experienced crashing on preview?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone else experienced crashing on preview?

When clicking to quickly while previewing sounds (for example letting a sound preview while selecting the next one) Gigastudio will crash and the mouse pointer becomes an hourglass indefinitely. At this point Ctrl-Alt-Del in necessary.

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this behaivor. If not then it has to do with my machine and I will continue to try to find a solution. I don't think Tascam would have left a major bug like this in the software this long.

Re: Anyone else experienced crashing on preview?

Hmmm... I don't know. I use preview very rarely.

Think I had that on 3.0. Got the latest update?

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Think I had that on 3.0. Got the latest update?

Belbin
    I have the latest update (3.21). This behavior was worse in version 3.0 here too. Now I have to click somewhat irresponsibly to make GS3 crash but when I'm deeply absorbed and working fast that will happen.

I just downloaded a little utility that "Autosaves" at predetermined intervals. I'm going to try it with GS3 today. Of coarse I anticipate that it will interrupt audio playback when saving so I'll disable it once the performance is built. I'll report back here with a link if it works.

JonFairHust, do you rarely use preview because you have already built your working GS performances that you don't change or augment? Or do have a different method of previewing?

Quote Originally Posted by jetplane
    When clicking to quickly while previewing sounds (for example letting a sound preview while selecting the next one) Gigastudio will crash and the mouse pointer becomes an hourglass indefinitely. At this point Ctrl-Alt-Del in necessary.

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this behaivor. If not then it has to do with my machine and I will continue to try to find a solution. I don't think Tascam would have left a major bug like this in the software this long.
    I've never had that problem...

When I preview sounds, I always click the little red "stop" square to stop a previewing sound before clicking anything else. I usually know what the instrument sounds like long before the preview sample has finished. Try doing that and see if it makes a difference.

Does this happen with ALL instruments, or only with CERTAIN instruments? I ask because there were certain individual .gig files that used to cause me a great deal of trouble with my QuickSound database. I never took the time to investigate whether it was because of troublesome characters in their file names, or because they were older (GS2) instruments that should be converted to GS3 format prior to use. It would be great if you can change one or two instruments and be done with your problem.

Finally, I will suggest that you fight the urge, and discipline yourself into exercising additional restraint with your index finger, at least while previewing... Even if you can't pinpoint the problem in your computer/software, to the extent that you can pinpoint a simple behavior modification that will elilminate the problem, pre-computer, you should make full use of that knowledge...

Good luck!!
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Quote Originally Posted by jetplane
    I just downloaded a little utility that "Autosaves" at predetermined intervals. I'm going to try it with GS3 today. Of coarse I anticipate that it will interrupt audio playback when saving so I'll disable it once the performance is built. I'll report back here with a link if it works.
    Eeegh... I'd suggest not installing that app, if you can avoid it... any app that performs a specific task "at predetermined intervals" is really working constantly -- it has a little clock that must run continually in order to know when the next "predetermined interval" has arrived. That will interfere with your audio processing in general, and with Giga in particular.

That's precisely why we are advised to disable screen-savers... not just to avoid the screen going black in the middle of a brilliant performance, but to spare the computer from having to perpetually count "tic...tic...tic..." inbetween blackouts...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Thanks for the suggestions Alanb.

The crash on preview seems to happen more with certain instruments, but not every time with those instruments. I am doing extensive testing to ascertain the cause and I will post it on this forum when I know more.

I refuse to apply "self-discipline' when working with computers because I work fast and intense and require any tool I work with to keep up with me. I don't have time to remember to slow down and not click so fast, or to create a multitask partition in my brain that makes me hit save every few minutes. That's what computers are for! http://northernsounds.com/forum/imag...lies/smile.gif

I downloaded and installed the autosave program, it works:

www.gzg2002.com/autosave/main.htm

I realize that the machine takes a slight performance hit because this app runs in the background but I'd rather lose 10ms every minute than 6 hours every 4 days. I regard an application without autosave as a toy, not a professional app. For example Pro Tools has autosave built in. I am able to use Logic is because of the 3rd party "Logic AutoSave" utility. Once the GS performance is built and I'm spending most of my time in the sequencer I will disable AutoSave.

Go Back to forum