• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB & Sonar 5PE, Uh Oh!

Share/Bookmark

JABB & Sonar 5PE, Uh Oh!

Hello to all. Sorry my first post is a technical issue as I think JABB is a great program. I use Sonar 5.01 PE. First, I've got a repeatable crash scenario when using the JABB DXi. If I insert more than three instruments in the Kontakt player Sonar crashes on the fourth. Again, this is repeatable. The VSTi works fine, it is only the DXi which exhibits this behaviour. Also (and maybe more important) ANY cc15 controller insertions make entire track ( in proper octave) play back doit or fall-off,etc... And yes I have zero controllers on stop "unchecked". This seems the only way to not have my volume zeroed everytime I stop playback. Which brings me to my other question. Is there a way to completely disable the "mod wheel" volume control? I've gone in and selected use standard pan & volume in the options menu and JABB responds to my fader movements. But I'd like to use midi cc 7 and not the mod wheel. I've tried inserting a cc1 of 100 at the beginning of the track but then I have to uncheck the "zero controllers" box, causing other problems (as above). JABB (and PO which I also have) are great programs but, at least for the way I work, not intuitive. Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: JABB & Sonar 5PE, Uh Oh!

Quote Originally Posted by yorolpal
    The VSTi works fine, it is only the DXi which exhibits this behaviour.
    Always use the VSTi version. DXi has other issues of long standing in Sonar.
    Also (and maybe more important) ANY cc15 controller insertions make entire track ( in proper octave) play back doit or fall-off,etc...
    I just want to be sure that you are not just placing the switch data prior to the point where you want the (falloff, doit, kiss) to occur. You need to place another piece of "0" cc15 data after the release effect has passed (but before the end of the next note.) The JABB Player only knows the last received condition. It needs a reset to re-establish a non-release effect condition.

See the other thread for comments on cc1 vs. cc7.

Tom

Hi, yorolpal. I use Sonar 6.2 myself. Try using automation track envelopes instead. Works like a charm for both cc1 and cc15.

Howard

Hi, Yorol--Tom zeroed right in on your problem--Needing to insert a Zero value after the cc15 effect is no longer needed. With that solved, you can keep the "zero controllers" un-checked (a MUST when using Garritan in Sonar) and use JABB as it was programmed.

"...But I'd like to use midi cc 7 and not the mod wheel..."

Don't do it! You'll be sorry. Not only will you have distortingly loud volumes with anything over 100, but you lose the subtle changes in timbre.

You said that you'd tried inserting a cc1 value of 100 at the start of a track, but were irked that you had to have the Zero controllers box un-checked--since you then had the problem of cc15 continuing past the time you wanted it. OK, all that's solved--you need to insert a Zero value, already covered--Now, you need to take literally the oft-repeated advice to use cc1 in an CONTinuous way. One insertion of a value at the start of a track is barely scratching the surface. OK, maybe a track starts off around 100, but it's very soon going to swoop down to 64, or up to 110--if you use it as continuously and expressively as can be done. That's what makes the Garritan sounds really come alive.

Don't fight the programming. It's brilliant. It works.

Randy
    rbowser

Thanks to all. I'll try the new info and see if that works for me. Guess I'll get used to the mod wheel/volume system also. I'll give it a go. Thanks again!

Good deal, yorolpal--I have confidence it will all work for you, because the programs work well the way they're designed. It's up to us users to just "grok" what the programmers have done. Have fun!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum