• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Orchestral Suite: Images of Bude

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral Suite: Images of Bude

Please see http://www.garritan.net/player (thanks Gary for this facility)

Hi, I posted a sketch from this sometime back and was much encouraged by your kind responses. So here is the complete suite for small orchestra - the Bude Concert Orchestra (no surprises there!). I still can't believe it but they will be performing this in the autumn. The piece conveys images from the seaside town of Bude as follows:

1) Dawn over Widemouth Bay. Broad and moody. The view from Penhalt Farm as dark clouds disperse and the sun breaks through and glitters on the sea below.

2) In the Town. Jolly and busy. The bells of the clock tower can be heard.

3) From Compass Point. A broad introduction as one looks out to sea from the cliff tops, followed by a faster swirling section that depicts water swirling amongst the rocks below. Towards the end, the flute solo plays 'The Seagull Descending' as opposed to the Lark Ascending'!

4) Sunset at Summerleaze. The end of a great day as the sun sets over the beach. A touch of melancholy here.

I'm still putting final touches to this so would welcome feedback please before I start to prepare the final score. Regards, Graham

Re: Orchestral Suite: Images of Bude

Graham! What a magnificent suite.

Bravo!

I recollect the sketch, of course; but the
    finished work is a sheer delight, exceeding
    my expectations.

There's a clearly Celtic influence to it;
    yet -- this is Keitch speaking, a distinctive
    voice of reflection and consideration that
    blends an ancient heritage with a modern
    perspective and venue... and does it with
    such tenderness and richness that one would
    need a heart of stone not to be affected
    by it.

Perhaps it is partly my own Irish forbears
    singing this suite's colors to me; but I found
    these four movements, their subtle, somber
    beauty, very deeply moving.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Graham,

There is something symbiotic going on between your music and me - the first time you posted this suite, I had just returned form a holiday in Bude, and this time I am just about to leave for a weeks holiday in Bude to celebrate my 40th Birthday! Weird

Anyway, I am downloading these tracks and will be listening to them on my MP3 player whilst sitting at the Beach Cafe looking out to the sea!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Wonderful composition and rendering Graham,
    I listen and hope to learn.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Graham! What a magnificent suite.

Bravo!

I recollect the sketch, of course; but the
    finished work is a sheer delight, exceeding
    my expectations.
    Thanks David, you have an excellent memory! Your encouragement sometime back inspired me to work at this and send a copy to the director of the Bude Orchestra. That was a big step to take but I've an even bigger task ahead now that he's scheduled it for performance - preparing the score! Thanks for listening my friend.

Regards,

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    Thanks David, you have an excellent memory! Your encouragement sometime back inspired me to work at this and send a copy to the director of the Bude Orchestra. That was a big step to take but I've an even bigger task ahead now that he's scheduled it for performance - preparing the score! Thanks for listening my friend.

Regards,

Graham
    My heavens, do forgive me for being remiss, Graham;
    I had meant to mention, but got wrapped up listening:

Congratulations!

This is, indeed, a major step -- and well deserved.
    My friend, I could not be happier for you! Please! Keep
    us posted on the performance!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Graham,

There is something symbiotic going on between your music and me - the first time you posted this suite, I had just returned form a holiday in Bude, and this time I am just about to leave for a weeks holiday in Bude to celebrate my 40th Birthday! Weird

Anyway, I am downloading these tracks and will be listening to them on my MP3 player whilst sitting at the Beach Cafe looking out to the sea!
    Wow, there's a coincidence. I envy you! Have a great time Richard and a happy birthday too!

Regards, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Wonderful composition and rendering Graham,
    I listen and hope to learn.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net
    Thanks Ray. I appreciate you listening in and your comments.

Regards, Graham

PS, that's some collection of guitars you have there on your website!

Graham,

Absolutely marvellous!

Congratulations on having this work performed. It is going to be thrilling to hear this performed live. And glad a certain someone on this forum (name beginning with e and ending with x) inspired you with his encouragement. He tends to have that effect on people. It's contagious too.

The suite is just stunning. I listened with eyes closed and savored every note. Budde must be an exceptional place from the sonic landscapes you created. We are fortunate you saw this to conclusion and thanks for posting it.

Gary Garritan

PS thanks for trying out our upload page. I guess it works. Kudos to Tony for making it happen.

[QUOTE=Garritan]
    Absolutely marvellous!
    QUOTE]

Thanks Gary, I couldn't have done this without GPO! An entire symphony orchestra in a box!

Regards, Graham

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast