• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Vlad the Impaler

Share/Bookmark

Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler by W.A. DeWitt

Note: Due to poor record keeping and the embellishment of a fantastic but true story, the historical details and time-line of the Vlad legend varies from source to source. Romanian, Turkish, Hungarian and Russian accounts all differ on many particulars. The account I have chosen is but one of many versions.

Bill

Last edited by valhalx; 02-25-2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: mistake
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Re: Vlad the Impaler

Bill,

WOW..that is quite the story and quite an excellent production of this work. Well done!!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Bill,

WOW..that is quite the story and quite an excellent production of this work. Well done!!

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Thanks Gary. The time-line was so detailed a scenario was necessary, lol. The story itself, I think is fascinating.
    Bill

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Bill,

I enjoyed listening to this piece, perhaps I should read up on Vlad.
    your rendering is great also. I hope to learn from this.

thanks

Ray

Bravo Bill!

This is quite an epic undertaking and you did an amazing job. I enjoyed this immensely. Just by listening I could see a story unfold in my mind's eye. Excellent in every aspect. Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Nice work, Bill.

There's a nice mixture between traditional and modern form. i.e. organ in combination with lush string sections.

It's very theatrical.. and stands strong even without a visual accompaniment.
    A nice subtle ending too

There were a few brief solo string sections which brought a nice gypsy feel... It could be interesting to expand on this, to further incorporate styles and instruments found in Romania of that era.

I really enjoyed this. ( my third listen already)

~Jeff

Excellent stroytelling with this piece. I really liked the strategic placement of the organ. Gave a great "gothic" darkness to this. In other places you did a great job of actively marking time. You could feel the sense of laying in wait while beeing tormentingly tangled in revenge.

Really liked the building section from about 5:30-6:30 The minor-to-major chord shift had a great misplaced justice element to them; vindication but misdirected. The subtle ending, hollow regret.

Really well crafted and executed.
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Bill,

I enjoyed listening to this piece, perhaps I should read up on Vlad.
    your rendering is great also. I hope to learn from this.

thanks

Ray
    Thanks for the listen Ray. Yeah, Vlad is an interesting story. There are several sites on the web devoted to him. As for rendering, it has come slowly to me over the last two years but I think I'm getting the hang of it.
    Bill

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Bravo Bill!

This is quite an epic undertaking and you did an amazing job. I enjoyed this immensely. Just by listening I could see a story unfold in my mind's eye. Excellent in every aspect. Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan
    Thanks Gary. Glad you enjoyed it. My choice of subjects so far...Gargoyles..Impalers. Maybe I should check myself into the clinic, lol.
    Bill

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

I know you've been preoccupied on other business, Bill, so I put off posting on this for a while. After a week of pikes and battles myself, though, tonight seemed just the night.

And some of the string work in this is so tasty I skipped supper; on the overall, as well: a rich and satisfying banquet. (The dessert: sliding percussion tails into masking textures; conducting and performance even I cannot argue with; impeccable attention to nuance and detail.) The orchestration in this, the extraordinary early color work, the control of it, is superb; the writing flawlessly executed, flowing, and inevitable in its sense while consistently intriguing in the paced unveiling of its revelations.

And you've finally given up the pretense of eschewing neo-Romanticism. About time.

This is as emotively centered and driven (and successful at it) as you can get: a very clear and powerful and poignant portrayal of the mind of a man being ripped apart and tortured by his past, his demons, and his present; whilst so ridden with foreboding of his future he dares not look forward without belligerent adamance.

In conception and in execution, in craftsmanship and in discernment, in this piece you've excelled at one of the most demanding of musical endeavors: characterizing the psychology of an abundantly complex man so well that none can leave this musical portraiture behind without profound considerations of their own internal landscapes.

Bravo!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast