• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fair Donation Amount

Share/Bookmark

Fair Donation Amount

What do you think a fair donation amount is for free samples? I guess to a certain extent I'm asking for the value of these. I've downloaded some instruments that have been completely useless; I've downloaded some that have given me more value than libraries on which I've spent $100's.

I know that financial means plays a large role, so I don't think we can pinpoint numbers, but under each situation - what's a reasonable range?

For a single instrument:
    • Great sample quality and commercial use?
    • Great sample quality and non-commercial use?
    • Fair sample quality and commercial use?
    • Fair sample quality and non-commercial use?
    For a collection of 10-20 instruments:
    • Great sample quality and commercial use?
    • Great sample quality and non-commercial use?
    • Fair sample quality and commercial use?
    • Fair sample quality and non-commercial use?
    There are lots of community members here offering free samples, and they take donations to help cover some of their costs. I think this is a good means toaid future development.

Re: Fair Donation Amount

Well, any chance you can let us in on these great samples? I would love to try out some great ones... I can never find any that are any good

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Archibald
    Well, any chance you can let us in on these great samples? I would love to try out some great ones... I can never find any that are any good
    I take it you've never used Herman Witkam's stuff then. Or the Bela D Gothik Music Box, or the G-Town Church samples, or the Boldersounds freebies. There are some fantastic 'freebies' out there, and the creators do deserve some support.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I take it you've never used Herman Witkam's stuff then. Or the Bela D Gothik Music Box, or the G-Town Church samples, or the Boldersounds freebies. There are some fantastic 'freebies' out there, and the creators do deserve some support.
    Yep, all of those... not to mention Pingu's own bowed metals, a very nice harp soundfont recently listed here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    Yep, all of those... not to mention Pingu's own bowed metals, a very nice harp soundfont recently listed here.
    Jason did mention actually a price, and if used commercially the harp he's expecting 20$. For Pingus samples, I'm not sure but a donation is always nice!

I think it is great that community members are offering free samples and they deserve all of our support. Perhaps we can create a complete list or a database (with links) of free samples that have been offered by members.

I started writing about the basics of sampling. How to best mike and record instruments, basic editing, formats and basic programming. Would this be something members would be interested as a mini-course in our Education section? Perhaps we can get other developers to join in as well.

If more members know the basics of sampling then we could have quite a collection of instruments that could be available.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I think it is great that community members are offering free samples and they deserve all of our support. Perhaps we can create a complete list or a database (with links) of free samples that have been offered by members.

I started writing about the basics of sampling. How to best mike and record instruments, basic editing, formats and basic programming. Would this be something members would be interested as a mini-course in our Education section? Perhaps we can get other developers to join in as well.

If more members know the basics of sampling then we could have quite a collection of instruments that could be available.

Gary Garritan
    That would be absolutely great Gary!! I personally have very little idea what I'm doing and am muddling through on trial and error. Advice from people like yourself would save me a great deal of time and vastly improve the end product.

That would be great Gary. I have thought of making some e-bow and alternative guitar samples but the only format I can do them in is Gigastudio 2.54 and even then I haven't tried it yet. How does one go about making samples for NI? Do you have to have Kontact? I assume you would and I don't yet.
    Is there anything like a generic sample format that could be imported to any sampler? I assume you could just provide raw wav samples but I was thinking of a generic multi-sample format.

That would be great. I tried to make it sound the best I could with my
    low cost equipment, but I am sure that tips can help, though I am not sure
    what other instrument I would sample. I think the viola will be covered far better in the near future than I could ever do.

~~
    I have thought of making some e-bow and alternative guitar samples but the only format I can do them in is Gigastudio 2.54 and even then I haven't tried it yet. How does one go about making samples for NI? Do you have to have Kontact? I assume you would and I don't yet.
    ~~

Well, I think there are people around that would take over conversions :-)

Generally to make Kontakt you might need the demo or a license .....

If there is enough information it is normally pretty easy to convert that manually ..... (like mapping info and wav files, depending if there are key switches, etc.)

~~
    Is there anything like a generic sample format that could be imported to any sampler? I assume you could just provide raw wav samples but I was thinking of a generic multi-sample format.
    ~~
    most versatile formats are soundfont or exs I think, most samplers can import both of them. Though exs is the more powerful format ......

hope that helps.

best

Go Back to forum